Xenonauts V1.65 Experimental Released!

We've released a new version of Xenonauts for Windows on the Experimental branch, V1.65. It contains some gameplay updates, but it will need some testing to see if it is stable before being rolled out to the default Stable branch for all Steam users, so if anyone can test it that would be appreciated.

To access the Experimental branch, please follow the instructions here: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/5958-Xenonauts-Experimental-Builds-Instructions

We will also merge these fixes into the native Mac / Linux builds in the future if they prove to be stable.

Most of these fixes are drawn from improvements to the game made by the Xenonauts: Community Edition team, so a public thank you to those who contributed to X:CE in general and to Solver specifically for putting this patch together for us.

Changes:

• Miss shots should no longer go through walls; the trajectory code has been updated so they should only hit tiles that a "hit" shot would be able to hit.
  • Grenade scatter calculation updated, so "miss" throws can actually miss by a meaningful amount. This applies to both Xenonauts and aliens throwing grenades.
  • Stunned zombies (which appear dead) will no longer spawn Reapers. This will eliminate the bug where Reapers apparently spawn from thin air, and occasionally were also invulnerable for some reason.
  • Damage from base defence turrets now correctly reduces the number of attacking aliens it fails to destroy an attacking UFO.
  • Soldiers now gain Bravery from taking suppression damage, as it was virtually impossible to train up before.
  • Soldier Strength now updates correctly, as there was a bug in the formula before.
  • Manufacturing screen now displays the number of required items in your stores when previewing a project, rather than just the number of required items.
  • Saviour Medal and Crux Solaris medals can now be awarded and displayed correctly.
  • Geoscape performance has been optimised on some systems
  • Game startup speed has been improved
  • Fixed crash when a building collapses with a drone inside

This is likely to be the final update for vanilla Xenonauts, but Xenonauts: Community Edition is still under ongoing development so be sure to keep up to date with their progress in the future!

[*]Stunned zombies (which appear dead) will no longer spawn zombies. This will eliminate the bug where Reapers apparently spawn from thin air, and occasionally were also invulnerable for some reason.

At the end of the first sentence, I think you meant to say spawn Reapers, right?

A small update is being pushed out on the experimental branch now:

• The GC Editor rebuilt so it's now also 1.65.
  • Fixed throttle controls in air combat - it's now possible to return a plane to 100% throttle after having decreased it.
  • Made alien bases get properly destroyed in case the core has been blown up but your squad gets killed.
  • Minor revision of the game manual.
  • The game has been prevented from attempting to load X:CE as a mod.

Testing would still very much be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot, great to see the game still updated. There is one bug I requested back in 2014 and was still not addressed, mainly the missing crouchsingleshoot_nw.png in /armour.jackal/weapon.laserprecision - this is something that community cannot fix. Also could you update the Skitso's Ultimate Megamix Map Pack to V1.09? The one bundled with Xenonauts is V1.05.

Edited by Rutger

Another couple of updates:

• Skitso's map pack updated to the latest version.
  • Skitso's alien base maps included to dramatically increase the variety of alien base maps.
  • Fixed an oversight where this experimental patch overwrote some gameplay changes and settings from 1.59, e.g. building maintenance multipliers.

The rendering stuff is pretty complex work and if we missed a sprite in our final pass back in 2014 then it's unlikely ever to be fixed; it's too much work for a rather small issue

Damn, I was hoping you still have the files. I check the bug report I did and it was suggested that:

(..)it may be possible to make one by cannibalising the laser.precision burst animation for NW.(..)

Maybe this would be a reasonable solution to the issue.

Edited by Rutger
Typo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[*] Fixed throttle controls in air combat - it's now possible to return a plane to 100% throttle after having decreased it.

Testing would still very much be appreciated!

The throttle indicator will not go below 100%, even though selecting throttle settings below 100% work. If the afterburner is activated, the throttle indicator moves to maximum position. Turning afterburner off sets the indicator back to 100%. This is both the case with the Condor and the Foxhound (I have not tested other aircraft). No special requirements needed to reproduce, as this is case immediately when air combat begins.

I have tried to validate files through Steam, and all passed the check. I have tried deleting all Xenonauts content, including saved games and folders in the windows user profile, and reinstalled directly as Experimental version. No mods are installed, nor have ever been installed, so that is not the issue either.

Version reported by launcher: V1.65(W) Stable, 17 Jan. 2016.

DXdiag report attached.

DxDiag.zip

DxDiag.zip

DxDiag.zip

Not sure if I'm right here, I play the game with the latest XCE edition and some minor mods which don't change gameplay (except a mod which makes grenades explode instantly).

Anyway my problem is I can't start endgame research. It's my current goal but I have researched everything there is. I already have praetor interrogation and I have the hyperdrive research, seems like I lack disruptor research.

I tried the workaround where you add some lines to enterbasename.lua but that doesn't work for me.

I should also add that I have started this game several years ago so it has been the same saves for some years, same campaign. I am getting ready to be told here that there's nothing I can do.

EDIT: Uploaded my latest save game if anyone wants to help.

kicking.sav

kicking.sav

kicking.sav

Edited by Necro_Man_Ser

is this release going to fix 'black area' inside the alien ship? area inside the ship below the upper deck in black and can't see although soldier have LOS

play in v1.59+ce0.34.1

p/s: problem resolve by clicking 'roof' button.

Ground.jpg

Top.jpg

Upper.jpg

Ground.jpg

Top.jpg

Upper.jpg

Ground.thumb.jpg.beddc5d1ca4079e0f9a58d7

Top.thumb.jpg.1064741e471f65d9d896be6214

Upper.thumb.jpg.9ce525daac68ea868da8c8dc

Edited by mcsiaw

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't it wonderful that Chris is STILL updating the Vanilla Xenonauts?!

The games that have given me most value for money have been Modern Warfare 2, War Thunder, the original UFO: Enemy Unknown - and, of course Xenonauts. I did also play Goldeneye to the finish - probably the most atmospheric game ever.

Edited by ooey

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There are not many string changes in 1.65.

In strings.xml, there is one new string: GC.MissionEnd.Result.AlienBaseDestroyed. And the LongServiceMedal string has been changed.

Check the gcloading_tips.xml file, the first tip about the Quickstart guide was removed, and now there's a new tip about right-clicking to improve shot accuracy.