Training soldier statistics at +2 per mission

Cachurro

I need to quote the manual:

SOLDIER PROGRESSION:

Soldiers that survive the battle may receive attribute increases, rank promotions and medals. Skillups

are based on performing certain actions, listed below:

• TU: Gained by spending sufficient quantity of TU during the mission.
  • HP: Increases incrementally based on the number of other skill-ups gained by the soldier.
  • STR: Gained by spending TU on movement when carrying over 80% of carrying capacity.
  • ACC: Gained by firing at enemies from within weapon range (you don’t have to hit them).
  • RFL: Gained by reaction firing at enemies.
  • BRV: Gained after suffering a morale event like panic.
  • Rank promotions are based on the total number of skill-ups a soldier has gained.

A soldier can only gain 2 points in each attribute per battle.

That suggests that a soldier can gain 2 points in each attibute per battle.

But I have not been able to make any soldeir gain more than +1 to STR, ACC or RFL (TUs are very easy to gain).

Has anyone been able to train any skill other than TU and BRV at +2 per mission?

And if so, what are the thresholds?

For instance, you only need 1 shot to gain +1 ACC and +1 RFL.

• 1 month later...

As for me, I consistently get +2 TU, +1 STR (weight bar with red to be sure), +1 ACC (at least one shot), +1 RFL (at least one reaction fire), +1 BRV (at least one panic/hallucination/fleeing state, either induced through psionic attack, or natural demoralization, but alien control doesn't count).

At first, I got some +1 TU on small maps for static soldiers (e.g. machine gun), then I used to make them running before/while the final assault.

I believe I got once +2 BRV (not through promotion), but I'm not sure. For instance, 5 morale events are not enough to get +2 BRV, 7 kills (and more shooting) are not enough to get +2 ACC, etc. So yes, what's the threshold?

Perhaps, I have to wait for ĂĽber-soldiers, so that a handful of them could assault a carrier alone, thus getting more opportunities to shoot/reac fire/panic...

But this is not really a concern, because, after 30 missions, having +30 instead of +60 on already decent (50-60) starting stats if fairly good.

For instance, 5 morale events are not enough to get +2 BRV, 7 kills (and more shooting) are not enough to get +2 ACC, etc. So yes, what's the threshold?

In Community edition version you can adjust threshold and speed of progression soldiers through edit gameconfig.xml

<soldierDevelopment>

<!-- Soldiers develop their attributes by using them. Each time the soldier performs a certain action, he will gain a "progress point" in that attribute. Once he reaches the "pointsToProgress" value, the attribute will increase by one point. These progress points are cumulative and are stored from mission to mission. -->

<APProgress pointsToProgress="250" maxPointsInSingleBattle="500" globalMaxProgress="98" comment="A progress point is earned every time a soldier spends a TU on a mission" />

<strengthProgress pointsToProgress="20" maxPointsInSingleBattle="20" globalMaxProgress="98" strengthCoeff="80" comment="Points are given when soldier moves one tile while carrying more than strengthCoeff percent of its maximum carry weight" />

<accuracyProgress pointsToProgress="1" maxPointsInSingleBattle="1" globalMaxProgress="98" comment="Points are given when a soldier attempts to fire at a valid hostile enemy within weapon range * 1.5" />

<reflexesProgress pointsToProgress="1" maxPointsInSingleBattle="1" globalMaxProgress="98" comment="A progress point is gained when a soldier performs a Reaction Fire test (it doesn't matter whether he passes or fails it)" />

<braveryProgress pointsToProgress="1" maxPointsInSingleBattle="1" globalMaxProgress="98" comment="A progress point is earned whenever a soldier panics in battle" />

<resilienceProgress pointsToProgress="5" globalMaxProgress="97" comment="A progress points is earned every time the soldier gets a skillup in any other attribute" />

</soldierDevelopment>