New Dropship

aajs

Looks awesome - great job aajs!

What is the plan to balance it?

I´d suggest to make it beat just 1 single tier 1 alien fighter in auto-resolve or an alien scout, but not stronger alien ships with a tier 1 weapons loadout. Just my opinion...

Edited by Casaubon

I´d suggest to make it beat just 1 single tier 1 alien fighter in auto-resolve or an alien scout, but not stronger alien ships with a tier 1 weapons loadout. Just my opinion...

Yep, I think you are right.

Let's make it like that then.

Hopefully I will get the loadout screen finished toniight.

Yep, I think you are right.

Let's make it like that then.

Hopefully I will get the loadout screen finished toniight.

I've currently noticed that the model you used is of the different soviet hellicopter (Mi-8) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_Mi-8.

The hellicopter on the image above is the soviet assault hellicopter Mi-24 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_Mi-24. The soviets called it the "Crocodile", because its front part looks like the face of a crocodile.

Nevertheless the Mi-8 was also capable using missiles.

Edited by PaulJay

I've currently noticed that the model you used is of the different soviet hellicopter (Mi-8) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_Mi-8.

The hellicopter on the image above is the soviet assault hellicopter Mi-24 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_Mi-24. The soviets called it the "Crocodile", because its front part looks like the face of a crocodile.

Nevertheless the Mi-8 was also capable using missiles.

Yep, the MI-24 was the model I wanted to base it on and that is basically what my xenonaut entry will refer to however, the only model I could find for a Russian helicopter was the one I have now (too late to change now). therefore I designated mine the MI-X an xenonaut variant that was customised just for them. It has slightly higher seating capacity blah de blah....

I have to have a Russian helicopter because its supposed to be world funded, so I think other nations would also help with technology, but more specifically because someone requested it further up in this thread.

I have a British tank at the beginning, some Migs... an American jeep actually 2. Maybe I can sneek in some vehicles from other nationalities somewhere else.

Bit later that posting image for equipment screen, as my machine crashes if I assign all cores when rendering... Pain so had to start render of again only to discovery did not save my camera setup before crash...grrrr.

Any way this is the solider loadout screen which is the trickiest part.

Loadoutscreenempty.jpg

Not too shabby....

Oh and if you want to see it with the soldier loadout overlay.

Loadoutscreen.jpg

I will add two more of this style of hybrid assault ships.

Next one kind of like an osprey but will need to be a more modern version without heavy props to show Tech moved on.

The final one, not sure it will be more like a space craft I guess however I will wait for someone to post.

I am also in general keeping with my choices part 2 mod may make it possible to capture a light scout and use that as a dropship.

[Edit] I apologise for my bad English..(and grammar). Its not down to my translation package because I am actually British.. Its just I think faster than I type and that leads to a big mess...and the autocomplete function does the final damage to my sentences on my behalf.

Loadoutscreenempty.jpg

Loadoutscreen.jpg

Loadoutscreenempty.thumb.jpg.d3916784cc6

Loadoutscreen.thumb.jpg.d8ebbe47ade43d1d

Edited by aajs

Erm I have hit a little bit of a snag..

my copter has 2 normal missile pylons and 2 guns.

In the weapon load out screen I can see all 4 and can change them as desired.

however when I enter aircombat I can only see two machine guns...

How do I fix it?

Yes, I have some knives in my mod but I don't have animations for them, as I though it might be a little to graphic and not in style with the game.

I am however looking forward to your sprite editing utility as I have an outstanding request to make some more shields. I tried on my own but everything is currently packed to close together. but I am keen to give it another shot.

I am trying not to add more content by just recolouring existing sprites as it gets boring very quickly, but without an app to help it just takes to long to handle the animations, especially without any rigs etc.

Edited by aajs

Erm I have hit a little bit of a snag..

my copter has 2 normal missile pylons and 2 guns.

In the weapon load out screen I can see all 4 and can change them as desired.

however when I enter aircombat I can only see two machine guns...

How do I fix it?

This is not an error. Just the game UI makes "cannon" weapon type 2 slot at weapon UI. So if you give 2 cannon to a plane, that cannons just takes all the place there for weapons. The other weapons are there in game and they are working but you can't control them because of the UI.

If someone can change that UI (makes the "cannon" weapon 1 slot like missiles rather then 2 slot), it would handle all problems. It should be very very easy, but first you need to know where it is coded. If you learn, tell me please too :)

This is not an error. Just the game UI makes "cannon" weapon type 2 slot at weapon UI. So if you give 2 cannon to a plane, that cannons just takes all the place there for weapons. The other weapons are there in game and they are working but you can't control them because of the UI.

If someone can change that UI (makes the "cannon" weapon 1 slot like missiles rather then 2 slot), it would handle all problems. It should be very very easy, but first you need to know where it is coded. If you learn, tell me please too :)

Well, I did manage to get the missiles to show in the end. I swapped them arroung in we weapons list so that the e missiles were first then the 2 cannoms. Now in ac I see both missile under my icon and the cannons are not seen but working.

Only slight issue I have now in loadout screen now is that missiles are really long and the cannons are really short.

Oh well

Can remember who asked but was suggested we have osprey type vehicle for second assaultship this will be available slightly earlier in the game than the second vanilla dropship.

To get this thing packed up in the hanger you have to unbolt and release the props..

SeaHawkBaseViewxcf.jpg

Its a little bit wider than expected even though it does not have full wings, so I am displaying it like this in the boarding screen.

SeaHawkSoldierBoarding.jpg

The bit I hate doing the most, is getting it hovering over the LZ.

SeaHawkHoveringOverLZ.jpg

But the most fun bit is the soldier loadout screen.

SeaHawkSoldierLoadOut.jpg

The last assaultship will be a slick spaceships that is pretty much as good as a fighter... it will be as fast but not quite as manoeuvrable but tougher to balance it out.

SeaHawkBaseViewxcf.jpg

SeaHawkSoldierBoarding.jpg

SeaHawkHoveringOverLZ.jpg

SeaHawkSoldierLoadOut.jpg

SeaHawkBaseViewxcf.thumb.jpg.d91439a4ceb

SeaHawkSoldierBoarding.thumb.jpg.8eac74d

SeaHawkHoveringOverLZ.thumb.jpg.c3ba94a2

SeaHawkSoldierLoadOut.thumb.jpg.17fab194

Yeah, I was trying to make it a tiny bit larger than scale as its nearer to your looking point.

but that picture I posted makes it look super huge. maybe I will shrink it down a bit.

Angle should be fine because its from the template. Unless I accidently moved the camera of course.

Oh did I overkill the weapons a bit? that's a pain I might have to take some off then, however these things kind of need them as they are a bit heavy and slow in air combat and kind or rely on sending a heavy barrage of missiles and cannon fire to take out the enemy before it gets in close and wipes it out.

It does feel kind of realistic as they can soak up a bit of damage, however they definitely cant run circles around the enemy like the fighter gets can.

its kind of annoying, but the time you have added a round of mods and gone through all that experimenting, you then realise you could actually go back and make it twice as good if you started again.... I am already thinking about redoing my vehicles, as I don't like my driver in the jeep. I rendered the 3d model of a jeep and bodged on top a 2d image of a xenonaut as a driver.... I think I should go back and get a 3d rig of a driver and colour him up like an xenonaut and redo all the images....

I suggested an Osprey as a dropship...don't know if I was first with the idea. Not sure if the "real" Osprey would fit in the hanger but it carries more than 12 soldiers. A scaled down version is nice. Rather than AA weapons it would have ground support weapons but not sure the game supports Air to ground weapons on the ground combat map. But close in air support would be nice. Maybe the drones of the enemy could be morphed into ground support weapons for the humans.

I suggested an Osprey as a dropship...don't know if I was first with the idea. Not sure if the "real" Osprey would fit in the hanger but it carries more than 12 soldiers. A scaled down version is nice. Rather than AA weapons it would have ground support weapons but not sure the game supports Air to ground weapons on the ground combat map. But close in air support would be nice. Maybe the drones of the enemy could be morphed into ground support weapons for the humans.

Hi Larry, Yep I think it was your idea well done for that, it meant I can give it a bit more of a speed boost as you suggested, but as you say the full size osprey would never fit so I had to go looking for this smaller clone, which I am calling the seahawk (a term the osprey(bird) is otherwise know as).

Don't think we can do anything like air to ground missiles but that would have been awesome, if not a little unbalanced.

I have one more assaultship to go and am finding it difficult to come up with a model. It needs to be spaceship like, but I don't want it so big that it

does not fit in the hanger... Anyway I will keep looking. (I could always make it from scratch)

I want to have a quick look if its possible to capture a light scout and use it as a dropship.

I have decided that my vessels that can be captured from the enemy will have a zero dollar cost and a faster build time going forward. That gives a tactical reason for using them as they are generally a little underpowered compared to the purpose built craft. (apart from the fact that its really cool):)

What kind of nightmare troubles you?

Biggest is is its 14 tiles by 8 so only going to work as a chinnok.

But alien craft has just one view where chinook has 4 directions.

I can probably bodge something but will take a bit of trial and error.

These look good! Glad to see you building up this idea. You should find someone to make better textures for the models though.

I don't suppose I can somehow interpret that as you volunteering?

Haha, probably not and a bit cheeky of me to ask.:D

I am moving this forward but very slowly.

Its kind of a completely pointless addition, but somehow I feel you should be able to steal an enemy craft and use it yourself. If for nothing other than completeness.

I have finally got the craft itself to consistently appear on all maps, in the expected place with no messed up graphics and no crashes..

Whoopeee.

unfortunately, I have missing tiles around my craft as you can see in this Pic. Anybody know how to fix them?

Maybe its more of a mapping question.

Anyway I cant be bothered to fix em without additional help, as I have been on this bit a little too long already.

If someone knows how to fix please post otherwise we will have to live with it.

CapturedAlienCraft.jpg

Now I am going to have to model it to get the background for the soldier load out view.

Phew this is getting very long winded.

CapturedAlienCraft.jpg

CapturedAlienCraft.thumb.jpg.515058b45c1

Yeah well that would even things out a bit as I seem to have a lot of American vehicles.

Mainly because that's what most 3d models are, however we do really need to make the game more multi national to show all the nations pulling together etc....

Do you happen to know the names of any Russian helicopters that are similar to Blackhawk...

that would be the worlds only assault helicopter, The MI-24 Hind, a flying infantry fighting vehicle