New Alien Question

aajs

As drages says, each ufo type is defined by a "main" race. Traditionally, this was Caesan, Sebillian and Andron. As far as I can tell, this is mostly a labelling thing - I have (previously) been able to swap out all the Caesans in a Caesan ufo and nothing bad happened... but I haven't done that for a long while. The "main" race is more important with alien bases as the main race defines the alien-specific rooms. You can define new main races in races.xml and label ufos appropriately.

As drages says, each ufo type is defined by a "main" race. Traditionally, this was Caesan, Sebillian and Andron. As far as I can tell, this is mostly a labelling thing - I have (previously) been able to swap out all the Caesans in a Caesan ufo and nothing bad happened... but I haven't done that for a long while. The "main" race is more important with alien bases as the main race defines the alien-specific rooms. You can define new main races in races.xml and label ufos appropriately.

Aahh thanks.

That all makes sense then, erm where do I get the alien sprite xml files?

I need some to use as templates, I have one for a drone but not sure if that will cause issues.

I also have the xenonaut ones, however not sure if they would also cause issues.

Aahh thanks.

That all makes sense then, erm where do I get the alien sprite xml files?

I need some to use as templates, I have one for a drone but not sure if that will cause issues.

I also have the xenonaut ones, however not sure if they would also cause issues.

You mean the xml at the units folder? Do you have only the sprites and no xml's? then you do not have the "compatibility" version from steam. It's like choosing community version at betas. This version got every file unpackaged so you can get get every file you need.

You know, we should write all this stuff down in one place. There's a complete howto spread across this forum, but most of it is in the collective heads of half a dozen people.

I would like to do some tutorials with the needed programs and the fastest ways. But my english would make it harder to understand.

• 4 months later...

No, im definitely a big fan of making modding clearer.

So how about we start a thread how we MODULARLY mod things ? Every point is a question like: How do i add a new unit ( subquestion: into a UFO ) and the Table of Content is every question. And to every Question there is an step by step example.

To be VERY honest i dont get the Documentation: Modular mods system from Illunak. It doesnt answer why researches.xml isnt working the way i want it to.

Well im up for it, a few hours a day.