Xenonauts and Mechs

drages

2015-10-01_00011_zpsrqvrdnjl.jpg

John: Thomas, go on! We are covering you!

John: Come on move ffs!!!

John: Thomas?

Thomas: Call...

John: Call what? Airstrike?

Thomas: Call... nu...

John: Number? Phone?

Thomes NUKE FFS!!! NUKE!!!

John: Are you mad?! Let me look!

John: Yep, time for retire..

----------------------------------------------------------------

Mechs. I heard that many people asked here about mechs as vehicles/armours/enemies. Mechs are nice touch to sci-fy games. Original X-Com got a nice one to at enemy side and it was very powerful. X-Com EU used this too and bring it to our site..

Sectopod_zpsq57t3g08.png

Lovly Sectoid..

Anyway. I am a mech fan too. At xenonauts we dont have it at both side. It's sad because it could be used without problem and it would be a fearsome enemy. Xenonauts do not have an alien which scares you. There is nothing fearsome enough. Size matters.. and there is no boss like aliens. Predatorians are easy to call boss..

With 3x3 limits we can't bring bigger vehicles which i think we don't need them because we use drones rather then manned vehicles. It should be so. A mech can be easily fitted to 3x3. It would a bit weird to use it in a house or UFO but not a big problem.

Creating a mech is something very new at this game community. Mechs are walking machines and have complex details for shadows, destroyed remains and positioning. Vehicles are much easier with just one image for every direction and default shadows easily usable for them. Even with this, positioning is a very huge work, for a simple position you need to open and close game for 10 times..

I wanted to work on this in this week. As an amateur animator, i do not have a blender experience but i got my own program. So i find out the right lightning/shadow and positions for rendering. I got some cool mechs from net. I animated and rendered the images. I figured out how to work with shoebox coding and Xenonauts ones at specte files. It was the easy part. I started to put the images into game and.. omg.. that positioning.. i was not prepared. Mech's shadows should be very special and carefully putted in screen. I do not remember how many hundreds i opened/loaded/checked and closed the game for this images. After that i figure out that the destroyed images using the shadows so i planned to make a one junk image but shadows destroyed my plans and i did the junks for every direction and position them to shadows..

Let's what we got as a result:

Madcat/Timberwolf Type Drone for Xenonauts:

12246313360051666944_2015-09-29_00006_zpskhwtifna.png

Everyone who knows Mechs, knows that lovely one. I found the model and worked on it. It was my first try and took tons of time. It could be used as a last tech at human drone/vehicle tech. Rockets, plasma/laser cannons and machineguns..

2015-10-01_00009_zpsifptz8gr.jpg

As you see, it has his special shadows. Also got its destroyed images and got 50 frame walking animation for every direction.

12246313360051666944_2015-09-29_00007_zps5wusrnfg.png.

Got everything you need, i need just put sound for walking..

----------------------------------

Enforcer, Androns Arc Guardians as Enemy or World's Final Hope Agianst Alien Thread...

2015-10-01_00004_zpsmidu42kr.jpg

Enforcer is my second attempt. I used many things here learned from first mech. It worked well and much faster. It fitted to game more then i guessed. It's huge and looks very mighty at hangar view. That cannons, flamethrower and minigun... and it's size.. Heh.. It's at poweroff/shutdown mod at hangar..

2015-10-01_00007_zpsszqxmhju.jpg

As you it has it's 25 frame walking animation and much more detailed shadows. I would love to use more frame at animation but game didn't accept that size, you can't notice anyway. Perfectly fine fit for 3.5x3.5.. it's lenght is about three time of an xenonauts.

2015-10-01_00003_zpsgodz1cjp.jpg

Destroyed image, if you can destroy it ofcourse.. or an enemy.. Other side should have a good fire power to take him down..

2015-10-01_00002_zps8yhxfpq5.jpg

I created Enforcer as an enemy. A unique one for end game. Even with your highest tech, armours and weapons, you should fear when you meet with that kind of thing..

-----------------------------------------------------

Chimera as original mech name, i am still thinking about a name for this game.

12246313360051666944_2015-10-03_00002_zpsylablura.png

This will be the first mech for aliens. So i did not do anything about hangar images.

-----------------------------------------------------

Bushwacker as original name, the first xenonaut mech

12246313360051666944_2015-10-03_00001_zpsf39sroo0.png

I planned this mech a bit more little then madcat but i think i miscalculated the render sizes.. Now they are nearly same size.

12246313360051666944_2015-10-03_00003_zpsybyf3ecq.png

This is it. I am getting faster and faster at creating this things. My only problem is weapons. I need to give them something powerful but not a simple one.. I got some tricky ideas at visuals at least. For our site, we realy need double weapon at vehicles. One weapon at that cat would be very lame..

Four mech is enough i guess. Soon i will make them playable. I dont plan to make a special mod for xenonauts for those mechs. I created them for my own mod X-Division. If there is a modder who wants to create a special mod for XCE or use them in his/her own mod, he can take it from X-Division or ask me for the files needed.

It's very late again.. Cya!

Edited by drages
mech

"Madcap Mech MK1"

We had certain problems in the lab when thinking of ways to reduce casualties. Armored scout cars have their applications, but are so often stuck by impassable terrain and made useless during close quarters situations. Personal body armor is limited by the weight a soldier can carry while still being able to fight. Shooting the enemy before they have a chance to shoot you is the best way, but your soldiers have already assured us that they are doing that the best they can. We believe this is an important problem-dead soldiers cannot recover artifacts for study.

My team proposed and masterminded alternations and improvements to our prototypical power armored suits, hoping to create something larger, more powerful, and better protected than any infantry soldier we have to date. Without the limitations that tracked or wheeled vehicles have, an upscaled mechanical armor suit could breach with force, provide cover for other troops, and carry weaponry too large and cumbersome for any soldier.

The engineers misread our designs, as usual, and decided to build the prototype twice the size we had planned for. They complained something about "problems of scale" and difficulties in miniaturization, but I suspect they are simply covering up for their egregious mistakes. Regardless, the MK1 Madcap Mech is a powerful large infantry vehicle capable of delivering mobile firepower anywhere on the field, even if it can not longer fit in any reasonably sized UFO or building.

"Madcap Mech MK1"

We had certain problems in the lab when thinking of ways to reduce casualties. Armored scout cars have their applications, but are so often stuck by impassable terrain and made useless during close quarters situations. Personal body armor is limited by the weight a soldier can carry while still being able to fight. Shooting the enemy before they have a chance to shoot you is the best way, but your soldiers have already assured us that they are doing that the best they can. We believe this is an important problem-dead soldiers cannot recover artifacts for study.

My team proposed and masterminded alternations and improvements to our prototypical power armored suits, hoping to create something larger, more powerful, and better protected than any infantry soldier we have to date. Without the limitations that tracked or wheeled vehicles have, an upscaled mechanical armor suit could breach with force, provide cover for other troops, and carry weaponry too large and cumbersome for any soldier.

The engineers misread our designs, as usual, and decided to build the prototype twice the size we had planned for. They complained something about "problems of scale" and difficulties in miniaturization, but I suspect they are simply covering up for their egregious mistakes. Regardless, the MK1 Madcap Mech is a powerful large infantry vehicle capable of delivering mobile firepower anywhere on the field, even if it can not longer fit in any reasonably sized UFO or building.

I love your story telling with descriptions. I will use this for first mech "bushwacker" for X-Division then Madcat will be second one and we will get this tech from the alien mechs. Maybe you can make another for madcat too. I tought about adding to the story; "a Japanese scientist wanted so badly for that giant robots" :)..

I am planning to use the name "Walkers" for mechs here, from the amiga 500 game named walker which i liked to play it 20+ years ago..