AAAArrgh Blender Troubles again..

aajs

Sorry guys,

I need blender help yet again.

I wanted to finish the 3D drag textures for my mod and though I would start with the advanced medipack as that looked easiest to make.

I managed to finally make this..

box.jpg

I don't think this actually looks to bad for a first attempt. (anyway I am not going to tell how long it took me cos you will die laughing, however I finally have a handle on the modelling bit.)

But I cant seem to nail the whole UV mapping thing.

I put seems on my model and unwrapped it and exported it out and edited my png file so it now looks like this.

advancedmedipack7.jpg

However no matter what tutorial or guide I follow I cant get this silly texture to show up...

I have come too far to give up now, can anybody help me get this UV map onto my model.

I can upload if anybody is prepared to help?

box.jpg

advancedmedipack7.jpg

box.jpg.f4d3d532b2e546002add3fe9dcd76251

advancedmedipack7.jpg.3457d3dd3d85983040

Edited by aajs

Ok, here's the thing about blender, if your model isn't as consistent as a sphere, it cannot unwrap automatically without having serious UV errors, and I can tell you that the UV mapping picture that you have isn't very optimal.

For the UV mapping, try to instead imagine that the medipack is like a square, highlight the whole model (pressing l butoon while the cursor is on the mesh, unhighlight the rest until one side of the mesh is highlighted, and unwrap or project from view, and follow suit for the others, that is provided that your model consists of one fully connected mesh. Scale the UV maps as much as possible to the borders.

Regarding not getting the texture to show up, I'm not clear about what you mean that the texture does not show up. Is it the render of the model itself or you don't see the texture on the UV mapping screen?

I assume that you want to make it in 3D and take a picture of it, and you have a single texture of the whole medkit itself, and would like to seperate the UV mapping evenly to fit those textures?

Your question strikes to me as odd as its usually the methods to apply textures is through Adding several materials and textures with it, applying the various materials to each of the faces of the model. I take it that you're fitting the model into one texture?

Edited by LordJulian

got it finally....... I been following tutorials for days but they all worked mine did not... I had to just press on stupid little button that was not covered in any tutorials.

I guess everbody else had it activated by default.

Well I have learnt a lot, but think I am gonna start this whole model again as it will take longer to fix than recreate.

Thanks for you help.

So I actually started this again as I realised I made too many mistakes to fix....

After making it all again, I then realised that I had now gained enough skill that I could have fixed the old one and did not need to start again..

Oh well its a very steep learning curve (and I keep slipping down:))

But I finally can get the UV map on it.. I just need to add 4 bolts now and the little clip thingies on the ends and it will finally be finished...

Then I hopefully can stop playing around with the easy stuff and go make the lasers etc.

So at this rate I should finally have all my 3D drag textures working by the time people are playing Xenonauts Version 4 on the HoloDeck...

Thanks again for your help and support. (I feel I am finally getting somewhere with Blender)

finishedmedpack.jpg

finishedmedpack.jpg

finishedmedpack.jpg.1dd82c59888ee02a6dcd

Edited by aajs

• 3 weeks later...
Are there some reference images showing a dreadnought from the side? But nevertheless I could give it try.

Sadly no, but you need to think it's levels at ground combat. I worked on battleship to change it to dreadnought but only as it's texture.

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/13272-Dreadnought-Tile-Sets here you can see it and download and look to the photoshop layers. Modeling only the out of it wont be enough to make it usable at ground combat. We should able to get every levels image from it. Probably not a big issue but should be planned before modeling it.

I think it's side should look like the carrier one. Flat sides with little detail.