Some quick questions:

Hi, I've just got a few quick questions regarding the game, I'm currently on my 1st playthrough on medium, but apart from messing up my 2nd Base (too late and too big) I'm fairing quite well, and I have experience with (turn based and real-time) strategy games.

However, I currently have a UFO thats trying to construct an Alien Base, and I could shoot it down. I already have raided a Base and got all the research stuff, and I already have a captured Leader. This is the 2nd Base, and I'm on the 29th of February. So my question is, is it better to shoot it down, or do let it build up and instantly raid it?

Also, how far shuild I roughly be progressionwise? I just have the feeling that I'm not doing enough because I dont get alot of money, so I just wanna check if I've fallen behind or not.

Just as a side note: You should wipe out every alien base you find. They are really bad for the relation points in whatever region they exist. So, after you've captured your pet Praetor, destroying the ships that try to build them is a good idea. Also, they are high casualty places to take down, so it's better to prevent them from being built whenever possible.

• 1 month later...

I have a question regarding weapons in this game:

exactly how they are different?

range\accuracy\damage...what else is there?

How reaction fire and weapons relate?

Can snipers actually snipe enemies out of their own vision radius?what about the rest(machinegans,assault rifles,pistols)

I understand that it's theoretically possible to shot from behind an ally who is crouching(didn't tried it yet)-how likely for friendly fire to occur?

is there any sense in using shields and vehicles?

When to airstrike the crush sites?

There are five classes of weapons. Each class of weapon is completely different to other classes. They all have completely different stats.

Each weapon has a reaction fire modifier which is used as part of the reaction fire calculation.

All soldiers with any weapon can fire at any alien they or their allies can see.

If you stand directly behind a crouching solider, you will not hit him. Otherwise there is a chance that a soldier will be hit if they are in the fire "corridor" of a solider (imagine thick line several tiles wide between the target and the shooter - don't stand in the fire corridor!)

Shields and vehicles? Yes. Experiment.

Airstrike as many crash sites as you don't want to attack with your soldiers.