Would anyone be willing to creating some tanks for me?

Maldekian Man

Would anyone be able to make a few tank models/sprites for me? The mod I'm making will try to simulate an actual invasion and I can't have the military just sit around while the "all powerful Xenonauts" single-handedly save the world. Repelling an invasion of malevolent and more technologically advanced extraterrestrials has to be a team effort where the Xenonauts are the tip of the spear and the military is the last line of defense.

To be more specific I need 3 main battle tanks:

One of Soviet design - the T80B

One of American design - the M1 Abrams (the original and not the M1A1 or M1A2 variant)

One of European design - the Leopard 2 (might as well be the 2A1 since they are nearly identical)

All of these MBT's went in to service around 1979/1980 so it would make perfect sense to see them in action during Terror missions for example.

Problem is I would like the models to have the same kind of art style (while still having realistic proportions) as the vehicles that you can produce - only with a more military like green military color (or gray). Just like in this example:

4.jpg

I'm not very good at creating 3D models but I'm pretty sure someone has done this before and I'd appreciate the help.

4.jpg

4.jpg.f6269c3859e8217e4cbb9c6ed5d7c517.j

Realistic proportions are kind of a problem because vehicles and units need square sizes, so 3x3 tiles is the usual size for them. You can convert 3D models to game sprites using the Blender plugin, there's no other easy way to have new vehicles. Aajs is adding a few to his mod so you should talk to him, maybe he found free models for some of the tanks you want.

Would anyone be able to make a few tank models/sprites for me? The mod I'm making will try to simulate an actual invasion and I can't have the military just sit around while the "all powerful Xenonauts" single-handedly save the world. Repelling an invasion of malevolent and more technologically advanced extraterrestrials has to be a team effort where the Xenonauts are the tip of the spear and the military is the last line of defense.

To be more specific I need 3 main battle tanks:

One of Soviet design - the T80B

One of American design - the M1 Abrams (the original and not the M1A1 or M1A2 variant)

One of European design - the Leopard 2 (might as well be the 2A1 since they are nearly identical)

All of these MBT's went in to service around 1979/1980 so it would make perfect sense to see them in action during Terror missions for example.

Problem is I would like the models to have the same kind of art style (while still having realistic proportions) as the vehicles that you can produce - only with a more military like green military color (or gray). Just like in this example:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6553[/ATTACH]

I'm not very good at creating 3D models but I'm pretty sure someone has done this before and I'd appreciate the help.

Nice colours, they have a very Military feel about them.

I wanted tanks in my mod but as SoulFilcher just said your are limited to 3x3 squares in your drop ship, this means that any tank you make that is based on a real vehicle will not be to scale, It will be the size of a normal car which will look very silly indeed. That's why I dropped the idea for my mod.

Notice that the vanilla game ones are remote piloted, probably something to do with the fact that you could not fit a crew in them.

However you have given me an idea that may work with your outright invasion idea.... I am not sure how possible it is, because I have not tried this before (comments please if you know). How about making a large tank in place of a civilian AI character. although you would not get to drive it around, it would certainly give it a mass invasion / defence feel to it. (Instead of those deserted streets).

That's what I was thinking. Xenonauts have a quick response team equipped with the most technologically advanced weapons. Obviously they can not fly around with a MBT in the Chinook or have it hooked up to the helicopter because it would be far too dangerous and time consuming. That's why they need those light vehicles and the military can deploy their own more massive hardware. I want to add both normal soldiers and their vehicles to UFO terror missions and UFO landings. Furthermore I need the black edges around the cities gone. Instead they need to be replaced by stationary soldiers hiding behind sandbags along with tanks. They shouldn't even move anywhere just sit in one place and open fire at any hostile extraterrestrial as soon as it's in their field of vision.

I hate to bump this, but I made a little prototype out of an already existing prop which was perfect since it's already got a all of the angles and everything:

T80.jpg

But how do I get it in to the game as a properly working unit? Especially since it should have 2 fire modes A) Main Gun B) MG. Or would anyone be able to get in in to their game and test just this one sprite to see if it will need resizing or anything?

T80.jpg

T80.jpg.730eaa66867d43dfbb06dfa4cc3347fc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Maldekian Man,

Sorry I should have replied sooner.

I did say you could not really have a tank in the dropship because it would be way of scale. However, I am now eating humble pie because I did some experimenting and it seems you can just about fudge it, however it requires a lot of tinkering.

I am not in a position to make the sprites for you at the moment (However it sounds an exiting prospect) because I am in the middle of a vehicles mod myself to complete a set of promised mods.

However, If you know a little bit about using blender, I think I could probably support you in the task and provide lots of tips etc. (I am learning as I go, but could probably get you past all the gotchas I got caught up with).

I also have found a number of free tanks models that you could use..(You just need to credit the author etc in you completed mod).

Let me know?

I hate to bump this, but I made a little prototype out of an already existing prop which was perfect since it's already got a all of the angles and everything:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6554[/ATTACH]

But how do I get it in to the game as a properly working unit? Especially since it should have 2 fire modes A) Main Gun B) MG. Or would anyone be able to get in in to their game and test just this one sprite to see if it will need resizing or anything?

I tried that tank but it does not have all the angles. Half of them are missing. So no chance to use it.

I tried that tank but it does not have all the angles. Half of them are missing. So no chance to use it.

Yep Drages is correct on this one, as I tried it a while back, plus resizing in game graphics makes them lose quality, I tried using sharpen etc, but it does not help with the distortion. Best thing to do is to get original models, there are lots of free ones on the web and use the new template the SoulFilcher made for us. Then its not easy but completely doable even for a novice graphics newbie like me..

You are doing it just fine. It's important to have some ppl who is working at different aspects of the game.

Can enemy ai or the game itself can handle 4x4 or 5x5 creatures? And yeah making units with legs like creatures and mechs would be tons of work.

The game is not so long to have so many vehicles too. The mod u are using that many vehicles should have a longer game period too.

You are doing it just fine. It's important to have some ppl who is working at different aspects of the game.

Can enemy ai or the game itself can handle 4x4 or 5x5 creatures? And yeah making units with legs like creatures and mechs would be tons of work.

The game is not so long to have so many vehicles too. The mod u are using that many vehicles should have a longer game period too.

Yes, that true.

How do we extend the time the game takes to play. Is that the Alien Ticker values.