XML Error

scbfromnc

When I try to open manufactures.xml, I get: "XML Error in Worksheet Setting". Reason: "Bad Value". I got this information from the error file notification.

I don't have this problem with most other xml files. They open in either Excel or as a new tab in my IE. Note that I CAN open it with Notepad, but I think I need to edit with Excel if I want to create a mod (to change manufacturing times of some armors).

Any advice appreciated!

Pretty sure the vanilla file shouldn't do that. Is it from a mod?

In terms of fixes, sometimes issues can be caused by editing an .xml spreadsheet in a text editor. For example, if you add a new row but don't update the value that tracks the number of active rows in the file it will cause problems. Not sure whether that's the problem you're having here but it's an easy enough fix if so. So try this:

1) Open the file in a text editor.

2) Find: ss:ExpandedRowCount

3) Change the corresponding value to something significantly larger (say, add 100 to it).

Then try and open the file in Excel again. If it works, that was the problem. If not, must be something else.

When I try to open manufactures.xml, I get: "XML Error in Worksheet Setting". Reason: "Bad Value". I got this information from the error file notification.

I don't have this problem with most other xml files. They open in either Excel or as a new tab in my IE. Note that I CAN open it with Notepad, but I think I need to edit with Excel if I want to create a mod (to change manufacturing times of some armors).

Any advice appreciated!

Can I ask what you are trying to edit it with.

If you are using excel and you get that error then it will write the details to a log file.

Check this and it will pretty much tell you what it does not like.

You can then open up a text editor and fix it.

A lot of posted mods or updates have damaged xml files that can no longer be edited in excel but generally they are quick to fix.

Wow, quick reply! Thanks! That's the vanilla file (and I was going to copy and create a mod from it). I'm running the CE version. Is it ok to make the change you suggested in the main game folder files?

Strange. Shouldn't happen with the vanilla file. It might be worth reverifying your install (if your a Steam user) as this will fix the file if it has become broken somehow (make sure you back-up any files you've modded first, though!). Although trying what aajs has suggested first might be worth while.

Here's the error log file that was generated when I tried to open in Excel:

XML ERROR in Worksheet Setting

REASON: Bad Value

FILE: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Xenonauts\assets\manufactures.xml

GROUP: DataValidation

TAG: Range

VALUE: R43C2,R16C2:R28C2,R30C2:R40C2,R45C2:R60C2,R1C2:R14C2,R62C2:R65C2,R97C2:R1048576C2

Just revalidated my Steam files, and still doesn't open with Excel.

Also just tried making the suggested change to ss:ExpandedRowCount and that didn't help. Also tried the same with ss:ExpandedColumnCount and that didn't help either. Tried expanding both row and column and still no love.

Edited by scbfromnc

Here's the error log file that was generated when I tried to open in Excel:

XML ERROR in Worksheet Setting

REASON: Bad Value

FILE: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Xenonauts\assets\manufactures.xml

GROUP: DataValidation

TAG: Range

VALUE: R43C2,R16C2:R28C2,R30C2:R40C2,R45C2:R60C2,R1C2:R14C2,R62C2:R65C2,R97C2:R1048576C2

Just revalidated my Steam files, and still doesn't open with Excel.

Also just tried making the suggested change to ss:ExpandedRowCount and that didn't help. Also tried the same with ss:ExpandedColumnCount and that didn't help either. Tried expanding both row and column and still no love.

Ahhhh this error, yes that is broken when you download it from steam.

This Is one that I usually repair.... this one is easy just open the file with a text editor and search for the Value range and delete that whole line, then save it. You will then be able to open the file in excel.

This is basically some data validation settings that stop you putting certain entries in a cell. Deleting allows it to open in excel but does not stop the file being read by the game.

Weird. I've never had a problem with that at all. Wonder where it comes from?

For me its because I am using an ancient version of Excel. (v2002).

Its lacking some features that are in newer versions, so I have to hack out those bits before I can edit them with my version.

Ahhhh this error, yes that is broken when you download it from steam.

This Is one that I usually repair.... this one is easy just open the file with a text editor and search for the Value range and delete that whole line, then save it. You will then be able to open the file in excel.

This is basically some data validation settings that stop you putting certain entries in a cell. Deleting allows it to open in excel but does not stop the file being read by the game.

Thank you aajs. That did the trick! I'm in business again. And I'm using Excel v2003, so that must be my problem as well.