Friendly Fire and Reduction

I did a quick search on the forums and its possible I just missed it but are there any plans to address friendly fire?

It seems to me that as a soldier gains experience, his chances of shooting his own teammates would decrease. Perhaps this could be tied to the reflex skill or maybe just the total skill points earned as this is kind of like total experience? As this goes up, it starts to decrease the chances of hitting anyone in his line of fire and not just for a friendly kneeling right in front of him. This seems to be a quick fix and would make the game more realistic. It seems to me that one of the main things the police and military practice while training is how NOT to shoot your own buddies.

What they actually teach is staying out of each other's firing lanes, which is something you totally control.

I guess then you have to ask whether or not there is any abstraction in the game. Are these soldiers mindless robots that react to anything or are they supposed to depict real humans in combat against the odds? Naturally the latter can't be modeled completely but to give the game a little bit more realism it seems this small change easily models how a rookie could freak out and pull the trigger shooting his own man but an experienced veteran keeps his cool and kills the alien behind his teammate. One of the most appealing aspects of this game is seeing how your squad (assuming you can keep them alive) starts from basically fodder to becoming the alien invasion's worst nightmare.

Except you've got to remember that if the GC were taking place in real time, turns would last seconds.

There's definitely a difference in accuracy between a prepared shooting position and one where a red shirt was just sprinting down an alleyway (even though that's not really pictured in-game).

Heck, the game's a lot more forgiving than actual combat since your solders can't automatically reaction-fire each other. Especially when the plasma is flying above their heads to act as a distraction.

We're not planning on making any further changes to the game given it was released a year ago, but in a way it's already modelled indirectly - friendly fire only occurs on a scatter (i.e. if you miss the target) and soldiers get better at hitting the target reliably as they skill up and gain experience.