Proposal for new mechanics - National Resources

I have some ideas, sadly I know almost no C++ beyond 'Hello World' as I've just started learning. Thus, i cannot make them happen. But I'd like to run them by coders of CE.

(I still have not started a game in Xenonauts yet because I am feeling very ill. I haven't gotten work done that needs doing either.)

Anyway, in XCOM Enemy within, you see news reels which say things like "militias are reported to be attacking aliens worldwide." Also, since you can sell alien items on the grey market, and sometimes governments will actually request corpses or any kind of alien salvage, I think some reasonable assumptions are in order. (Yes I know, Xenonauts is not XCOM, but we all know it is designed to be a successor.)

Each government is obviously doing STEM research on their own, as well as military planning, independent of XCOM/Xenonauts. Therefore, I think it would be very interesting to be able to acquire some direct assistance from any nation which has considerable military/economic power. By assistance I mean providing garrison troops, military equipment and personnel during battles. I think it would be DOUBLY interesting if friendly AI could command their own troops, though the more obvious solution is that you are given command. As for militias, they'd obviously exist, and I think it would be interesting if you could recruit civilians with combat/ police training / experience with firearms, as free (but lower quality) garrison troops, as they would be volunteers.

It might also be interesting to be able to request military personnel from one of the independent governments, as in, request a certain amount of troops or equipment to be temporarily under your command. If there is a UFO, you can request local fighters to scramble to provide additional aerial firepower.

Even Ce Coders cant add so much different assets and with those assets you would leave the old UFO feeling. You want something much more tactical/strategic things to add. This game is not successor of XCOM 2012, it's X-COM from 1980s... the original one. The original one didn't have what you said here...

Even Ce Coders cant add so much different assets and with those assets you would leave the old UFO feeling. You want something much more tactical/strategic things to add. This game is not successor of XCOM 2012, it's X-COM from 1980s... the original one. The original one didn't have what you said here...

Yes I know it is a successor to the original XCOM which Sadly I haven't played yet.

Xenonauts is 20 years newer from X-Com from 1994. The coding is new and better. I don't know if my idea can actually be done or not.

It may not be strictly within the spirit of X-COM 1994, but I think it is still very interesting. It could be added to A: make the game a bit easier for noobs, and B: it could have an option which causes an equal reduction in funding. In other words, A powerful nation which has it's own defense/research program against the aliens will pay you less. However, I think the latter would be much too difficult to balance.

Additionally, I don't want the game to be easy, but it would be nice to have some small crutches here and there, especially ones like my idea which adds to immersion and is not merely a flat bonus of some kind. I love games but I'm bad at them lol.... Never have been good no matter how much I tried. Naturally I don't want to dumb Xenonauts down either.

Edited by bigjackskid

There are game types which you like them as it is. For that reason that games create a "type" itself. X-Com EU 12 tried some different things at the original game but it failed to be a XCOM with its new and missing parts. Xenonauts purpose was just to stick on old X-Com with more practical, user friendly, logical things.

It's hard to explain this to someone who never played X-Com.. As an example, you try to add a 12. player to the matches at next FIFA game. Football will me be more easy when played with 12 player teams rather then 11, but it wont make it a football game anymore..

You can add more weapons, more items to use for soldiers, more planes more ufos, more missions.. but can add any strategical things like countries fighting back against aliens. It's not at the soul of X-Com..

I don't feel the need to replicate the soul of X-Com though. I like the base game but I also would like to change it. I understand your point about X-Com as compared to football. However, I am not viewing Xenonauts as a board game or sports game. My idea doesn't destroy Xenonauts. I'm not trying to make diehard X-Com fans angry I promise. I wish I was one. someday I should go play the original X-Com, but complicated games are very difficult for me. Xenonauts is much more complicated than football or a board game. Please don't shoot my proposals down because it isn't exactly X-Com.

I'd like to also add that my ideas put forth here are inspired by X-Com, particularly the setting and theme, but not strictly the gameplay, though what I've said doesn't vastly change the game.

Edited by bigjackskid
addendum 12:55 PM

Dont get me wrong.. I am respecting your ideas and as one of the crazy modder of this game, i am open minded for all ideas and CE Coders are so mad to me for my crazy ideas and for forcing them to add them to the game.. But we waited for this replica for more then 15 years and someone made it with a legendary effort..

The game engine got its limits even CE coders cannot pass.. because its an engine after all, and sadly its bad one.. Most of your ideas cannot be made already. It's very hard to add something to game as strategic aspect.. As i said you can add everything as object, item, researches.. but changing core elements or game style is impossible.

For example, i would like to see some random military can shoot at least little beginning ufos, or i would like to have carriers or bases to fuel my planes or more diplomatic things with countries. But no... our CE coders (and they are only 2 left) got their ultra limited time and they got their own plans too. They are just helping other poor moders calls and thanks to them they support us.

As i said the game engine is hard to edit as Ilunak says, because when you fix or add something, you get other lame bugs. Even i think to be a CE coder as i got some experience about school days. But i dont know how a rookie can handle this mess. If you say, i will die on this way and i got tons of time to figure it out.. why not?! I would have one more CE coder to make mad with my wishlist!

I see.... What exactly is wrong with the engine may I ask?

I have been working with my C++ book today and I'm getting very discouraged. I have a laundry list of learning disabilities and psychological issues, lol.... >_____> It is very hard for me to memorize and understand the content of this book. I would love to help you code but I don't know if I am going to be successful in learning C++. At this rate my prospects are seem grim to me.

I see.... What exactly is wrong with the engine may I ask?

I have been working with my C++ book today and I'm getting very discouraged. I have a laundry list of learning disabilities and psychological issues, lol.... >_____> It is very hard for me to memorize and understand the content of this book. I would love to help you code but I don't know if I am going to be successful in learning C++. At this rate my prospects are seem grim to me.

Just play the game and enjoy!