Mods, GOG, Steam Discounts

Are all mods available for the GOG version? this includes stuff on Steamworks. I do not currently own the game because it is well out of my price range, which is pitifully low, about six dollars. I have some Steam cash and that is about it. I'd have to buy it from GOG thru a friend if I were to get it in places other than Steam. I just know that sometimes there are discounts at different times on different sites and If I am able to grab it I want to make sure I'll have no problem applying mods to it. The Summer sale did not offer a substantial discount so I couldn't get it then. To forum-goers, don't bark me claiming "GOSH XENONAUTS IS WORTH 60 DOLLARS." You cannot extract blood from a turnip. I'm not going to steal Xenonauts from the internet either. I'm just waiting for a heavy discount on Steam, or elsewhere. But I really want to be able to use Steamworks. Is there anyway to know when a discount is coming up?

Sadly, you just missed the discount season (both GOG and Steam had their summer sales a few weeks ago). That probably would have been your best bet. So I guess, what 3 months from now (are Autumn sales a thing?).

As regards mods - yeah, they'll be compatible with any version. The only thing worth noting is that some mods aren't available on Steam Workshop (but still work on a Steam-bought version of the game). There might also be mods that are only available on Steam Workshop but not elsewhere which is more problematic. But I suspect the number of mods this applies to would be very small.