How do I buy the CD/box of Xenonauts?

I would like to buy the box and hard copy of this game because when my computer got stolen last time, I lost every soft copy program I bought. I had to buy several twice since I had no proof of purchase.

So, I really want to buy the hard copy of this game, but I can't find it. Where do I buy it?

I don't think there is one. There may have been special edition hard copies fore Kickstarter backers but that doesn't really help.

For what it's worth, though, if you buy from somewhere like Steam or GoG the game is added to your Steam/GoG account and will always* be there for you to re-download in the event of computer failure/theft. Also, with GoG you could download the installer and save it to disc if you wanted, thereby making your own hard-copy.

*Honestly not sure what happens if they go bankrupt, mind.

• 2 weeks later...

He replied 'unfortunately we've stopped mailing stuff out these days so I'm afraid I can't sell you a hard copy.'.

He then mentioned I could buy the game from GOG or Steam, but if I recall right, you have to be connected to the internet to do that since it has really nasty copy protection where it dials home and monitors your play time. I've never used either, but last time I crossed the border, every one of my burned CDs and DVDs was confiscated. Luckily I had the originals, and oddly enough, I got some CDs that aren't mine, and lost a couple that were. >.>

This digital download thing is a bit too scary for people like me. No worries though, I found X-Com Enemy Unknown used at GameStop, and I have bought every one of those games from Microprose to now, so I should be ok for now.

On Steam, you only need to be connected when you download the game - in case of some games you need to be online when you run it - in case of Xenonauts I can even copy it to another folder and run without logging to Steam with no problem.

With GoG, there is absolutely no DRM. You can optionally use their new application to help you download stuff, but you never need to - you can just download setup files by yourself from your own account and never need to connect to Internet again. There is no "dialing back home".

Humble Bundle Store also offers Xenonauts - both a Steam key and a DRM-free version (no application needed).

With both of those options once you download the game you can simply run the exe and launch the game without ever needing to use either service again.

You could also burn the game files to a disc or on a thumb drive and keep that to reinstall later so it would be a one time deal.

• 1 month later...