Does anyone have much experience with particle effects?

Max_Caine

I'm trying to make an interesting explosion today, and it's driving me nuts. All it is - or at least, all it should be - is a series of concentric circles rippling out from a central point. After having dealt with a number of technical issues, I now find in my latest attempt that the circles are being magnified many times their actual size, and I can't work out why. Has anyone experienced this with their work?

Unfortunately, that didn't seem to work.

EDT: What is interesting is that it's still the same blown-up size. But I can't figure out how it's doing it - the actual size of the rings is much smaller.

How did you test it? It's possible that the game has a set size that the image is scaled to for any given blast radius such that it scales up if the image is smaller and scales down if its larger. If that's true, to reduce the size in-game you'd need to have small images relative to the frame size, rather than just small images. May well be wrong but might be worth checking.

I took a smoke grenade, then swapped the particle type for this. That way I can fiddle about with the registration point co-ordinates. Frustratingly, it was working correctly when the concentric circles were at first bigger, then when I made it 1px thin, it worked with a 1px black outline. It should work as a 1px white concentric circle...

EDIT: If you check the sprite size for grenade explosions, they are not that much bigger, and smoke particle effects are the same size as well.

EDIT 2: Ugh, I give up. I'm off to do some language learning. At least that's something I can do.

Edited by Max_Caine