Realtime PLEASE!

Before you start hating or trolling, please read on!

I love ufo enemy unknown or how you usa people call it "ufo defence".

I was a kid and love to play it, the feeling was awesome.

Also terror from the deep, but TFTD was way to hard.

Then xcom apocalypse come, first i think "what the heck are these weird blue aliens with weird hats".

But then my mind was like, i love how they create new aliens.

Also you could take your choice, realtime or turn based.

I LOVED to play in realtime, but also on later games, to play on oldschool turn based (because realtime was to hard.).

So after i played xcom apocalypse, i was like, why could a xcom not have both systems?

I just love realtime and turnbased mix, it works awesome in jagged alliance 2, fallout 1+2 and many other games.

Why not at least using real time like in xcom apocalypse if you just move your soldiers?

Or give the people the choice?

I mean i played ufo extraterrestrials and it was boring with turn based, you always have to search for the last aliens -> next turn -> move some fields -> next turn and this can take their time...depend on map size.

So my suggestion is:

PLEASE add the choice to play also in realtime like in xcom apocalypse.

Jagged Alliance combat and Fallout combat is purely turn based (at least in the classic games. I don't consider Fallout 3 and New Vegas and the new JA part of the franchise, even if New Vegas was a decent game). As there are no exploration/dialogue/gameworld interaction/... elements in Xenonauts I don't think a real time mode is necessary or even makes sense. It's all about combat, there is nothing else to do. Therefore no need for real time movement, imo.

edit: btw since you mention it: there is no need to search for that last alien in Xenonauts, you can just complete the alternate victory condition of your mission.

It's need too much rewriting(reworking?). And, it's always "try to sit on two chairs"(if you understand what i mean) and never as good as pure realtime or pure turnbased.

Anyway game already have finished concept of gameplay and it will not change so dramatically.

• 2 weeks later...

I got used to it on UFO aftermath actually. I didn't really think of it as actually real time, so much as plan and click. It handled the troops a little more quickly. The game would pause if anything actually happened. It's not as though I had to run around giving orders without anyway of stopping it. I found it a little bit of a step back returning to turn based. Not a slight at all against turn based games, it's just I saw real time as a handy extension to it, rather than anything earth shatteringly different.

It's not going to ruin my enjoyment of anything X-Com like, either way.

I don't remember using real time much on Apocalypse. Probably set in my ways after the first two. Or I got my butt handed to me the first time I tried it. One of the two.

I really wouldn't agree with the OP, not based on any validity of argument but on the principle that I wouldn't be any good at that game-mode. How selfish eh?

Plus IIRC in Fallout when they let you do it realtime the accuracy just dropped off the graph and you couldn't hit shit...

What made this game fun was the turned based aspect of the game.

Take that away and you have something totally different.

I'm sure it could be pulled off, but the AP aspect is so much

fun cause you have these AP that you basically

have to horde around and they are unforgiving. Spend to

many and end up in your enemies cross hair!

Imo this would be a very hard game to play realtime, especially if you are going to try n fan out n cover the entire map.

Also JaBia wasn't killed by plan and go, it was killed by being a poor remake. they removed the good parts of Ja2 and that was it.

The worst of it was trying to go from the living room to the study. I had to wait until the giant 'Hidden Movement' screen shifted itself before I could go through.

Thanks guys; had to stop myself bursting out laughing in the office.

My issue with real-time vs turn-based in a game like this is that if it was real-time I'd be much more likely to bunch all of my troops together so that I could see them all at the same time, rather than breaking them down into smaller combat squads and spreading out over the battlefield. Otherwise I'd be worried about team 3 being shot to death while I was focusing on team 1 clearing a building.

This would actually make a real-time based game slower in terms of total mission time (for me, anyway), as it would take longer to explore the map with only one large group. Also, grenades would be much worse.

Maybe it's my wargaming history that makes turn-based stuff so acceptable to me, but I've never had a problem with it as a game mechanic.