I'm Not At All Good at Xenonauts :(

Is there a mod that can make countries that have become displeased with your apparent lack of progress start funding you again? I can save-scum everything else but Indochina and the entire of the Americas apparently aren't fond of plasma bolts raining from the sky...

PS: Yes, that was a Star Wars reference.

No, that would need code changes. You could at most reduce the impact of negative events in gameconfig.xml .

And, by the way, trying to get around difficulty by save scumming is actually counter-productive, since you'll manage to cheat into a situation so difficult that you normally wouldn't get there, and so in the end you'll make it even worse for yourself (not to mention taking away part of the game). Either improve, or reduce the difficulty.

Have three bases (including your starting base), one in Egypt, one in Cuba, one in Japan and make sure you have at least two Condors and two MIGs at each base. Each base should have three radars. This will take at least a couple months. The first additional base can usually be started in month one or the beginning of month two, the second will take longer. Shoot down everything you can with your large air force. You don't need to go to every crash site. Getting your air force up to size ASAP and running a smart air campaign to maintain air superiority is key to maintain good relations with the funding regions. You should be shooting down over 2/3's of UFOs that come down. I've come close to 100% by month four (it gets a lot harder after that, but 2/3 is still possible.) They don't care too much about how you're doing in ground combat. Air strike at least 1/2 the crash sites specially the small UFOs you've already researched. This adds to nation relations. In fact, you can get by with only recovering the first model of each type of alien ship AND taking any landed ship, corsair size on larger in ground combat to capture materials. Of course, you must respond to any terror sites if it's at all possible.

Also, once you've lost a funding nation you can't get them back, ever.

Edited by StellarRat

• 4 weeks later...

StellarRat. How do you tend to defend your bases from alien attack?

How many troops do you station on each one? I find that the base rocket launcher defences don't really stop a landing unless you have at least three, so seem a waste of money... but even if I have eight-ten troops in a secondary base they will have terrible equipment and a decent alien force can defeat them AND they cost so much money to pay just to sit there. Seems a waste also.

And do you tend to just have one central strike team or do you set up a strike team (for dealing with crashed/laded UFOs) in each of your bases?

Sometimes the RNG can fuck with you and spawn a UFO already landed on your base though. Frankly I just reload when that happens with no guilt whatsoever. Base defense mission in Xenonauts is kinda bad and unfinished anyway.

I do tend to agree.

I love all the other aspects of the game but not the base defence so much.

It feels like I should have more control over my base - the doors etc. Everything else I encounter in the game I feel like there is a tactical and strategic thought process that I can go through to get around the problem and that if soldiers die it's because I made a mistake etc but not with base defence.

Maybe there could be an initial siege stage where you get to hold the base from the 'walls' as the aliens unload from their ship etc or a bit more intelligence information about the nature and direction and number of attackers. My men always end up too thinly spread and a couple die and the defences are breached.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been concentrating on the ground war attempting to train some super-troopers for the ultimate Operation Endgame (no fun in cheating the save file - it has to be honestly earned). I was slightly baffled by the trouble I've been having with enemy interceptors. I had 1 Corsair at each base to control the little varmints but seemed to have unusual trouble clearing the skies. When they sent a Vic of heavy fighters in I sent up 3 Marauders and got ready to collect the Alenium. When bits of Marauder started raining from the clouds I realised something was seriously amiss.

It seems that my failure to research rapid-fire lasers meant that the aircraft armourer was not prepared to load Mag Storms on the hardpoints until first receiving written orders to bypass intermediate developments. Must be the same joker who insisted that the British 94mm AA gun was for use against aircraft no matter what those pesky Germans were doing with their 88mm guns (they had enterprisingly produced 100,000 rounds for our guns in the expectation of capturing some).

Now that the administrative foul-up has been rectified, UFOs are once again resembling collanders once we've got through with them. Not a mistake I will be making again.