Wtf, invisible aliens destroyed my team?

So I finally got around to giving Xenonauts a try, the first few hours of the game seemed great. It was rather fun, but then I bumped into my latest enemy craft which from the stats seemed to be just like any other scout. What I didn't know is that there was an invisible crew member that would kill almost all of my team members single-handedly because I could not fight back.

How the hell is this a thing?

Losing my first member to it - game clearly not showing anyone killing me: http://www.twitch.tv/lietu/c/6675539

The next team member killed right after that, with even more obviously having clear line of sight to where I must have been shot from: http://www.twitch.tv/lietu/c/6675558

And finally really really clearly seeing getting shot from thin air, and killing/injuring the alien by throwing a grenade where the shots came from: http://www.twitch.tv/lietu/c/6675584

Now I'm rather pissed off, and I don't want to play the game anymore.

I watched your game (3. video) twise.

Near the end of the video, just at the turn your soldier flees, there is an "enemy" sign at right of the screen but you never click it to check. So I guess that, that alien is at 2. floor of the building or very well hided at LOS of your soldiers. You throw a grenade there but never walk there to check it.. its a night mission so even you think you can see there, maybe its over your vision range.

So please, if you got a save game, go check the 2. floor of that building or run to place where you send the grenade. OR click that alien button to check where is it and it is realy invisible or not.

I dont say its impossible, but i can see that u didnt check it well too, so i cant be sure from that video..

and my cat always bites me when i am playing :)

It looks like there's an alien on the upper floor that is shooting down at you, probably standing at the top of the stairs or on the tiles adjacent to the stairs on the upper level. If you went upstairs you'd probably be fairly straightforward to shoot the alien, but you're right that the game should at least show the death animation for your soldiers.

It might be that there's a bug regarding the line of sight regarding stairs, because they exist between the ground floor and the upper level and maybe the shooting permissions don't match the visibility. If I was going to guess at what's causing it, it's probably the "ring of light" that units project at night around them that makes the nearby tiles visible - maybe it's not casting properly up to the higher levels.

Either way, if you stand further away from the stairs or just walk upstairs then the game should resolve line of sight correctly.

I knew for a fact there was at least one alien upstairs, heavily covered .. which is why I was trying to get up there.

When I originally looked at the upper floor I saw no way for them to shoot down at me when I was going up the stairs other than coming down the stairs. Looking at this whole thing later it seems it was possible the one guy shot at me from 100 different places and the game just cheated me by not showing where I was being shot from.

2015-05-12 17_45_54-lietu - Twitch.jpg

Towards the end I really was getting rather apathetic due to the "invisible aliens" just murdering me and there seemed to be nothing I could do, so I really didn't even care if the game was highlighting some alien icons.

With that specific building I have no idea how I'm supposed to survive, the guy can shoot to every direction imaginable, and when going up the stairs they can shoot you in the back regardless of how you are positioned, and you can't really hurt the aliens with less than full turn units, and even then it takes a lot of luck.

Here's the last few minutes showing a bit more of that: http://www.twitch.tv/lietu/c/6675910

I dunno, after reading what you said it sounds like there might have been a theoretical chance for me to figure out what happened, but still the game should definitely not make it that damn difficult. Maybe I'll try it again, maybe not .. if I will I guess I'll pack a lot more C4 charges with me and blow up any suspicious buildings and not risk more "invisible alien" issues.

2015-05-12 17_45_54-lietu - Twitch.jpg

577e7d448748e_2015-05-1217_45_54-lietu-T

The windows are dangerous for soldiers just after WW 1... so as you said like 15 times "invisible aliens" , you could guess that the upper level.. you could rush inside the building and with 2-3 soldier (with shield and shotgun) with full TU you could assault the upper floor. C4's are totally fine and their reason is this.. to destroy difficult places. Or a rocket launcher soldier, or a hunter vehicle with viper missiles are all your answers for dangerous windows.

As you see, there is about 5 ideas i can give to you to handle that little caesan. It's not a difficult situation at all, when you consider alien base assaults and bigger UFO fights..

I blame the citty :)