zzz

Since in 9.3x changed targetmap handling - all this maps are obsolete

I played with the editor and made some maps. This is primarily not about the quality(and some can be wierd ), but an attempt to add a diversity.

I changed some of files, but because they are not used now, I do not think that this could be a problem.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?pg4vtpbn1yadqkd

If you remove the "assets \ levelsetup.xml" the game will choose the tilesets on the basis of the globe

This is to add into the game a desert (in some way), a farm and one more industrial map.

You should also remove maps\industrial\testbase.xml and testbasesmall.xml - they only for testing purposes.

mask.JPG

Or you can use this file (assets \ levelsetup.xml) to force the game to always use one particular map that actually this file is does.(as far as I understand)

This is a list of maps

random

<Map tileset="farm" mapname="farm_C_S1_random" />

<Map tileset="farm" mapname="farm_lightscout_random" />

zf.jpg

some variety

<Map tileset="industrial" mapname="test22" />

zi.jpg

random and bit wierd

<Map tileset="desert" mapname="desert" />

<Map tileset="desert" mapname="desert2" />

zd.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?288b7l6l6ib6cg1

some variety

<Map tileset="industrial" mapname="Factories" />

factory11.jpg

In the first place I was concerned about the possibility of a return to the original as I propose to copy something, and even replace, but if you remove the new maps and\or return "assets \ levelsetup.xml" then the game will play as intended, other changes would remove next update or desura verify.

zf.jpg

zi.jpg

zd.jpg

mask.JPG

factory11.jpg

zf.jpg.5a6385750f5aee77e3bc7cdd172fa8c8.

zi.thumb.jpg.bcadac496a7b95e7c60f1128562

zd.thumb.jpg.63ffce79743aefedb3513e96cb0

mask.JPG.acaea214349a192fe1b1cebd4e297ff

factory11.thumb.jpg.8cda9673b6617b712375

Edited by zzz

zzz: what's with the mask.jpg image? Can you somehow choose what spawns where or something? (I'm unable to spot any text refering to that picture so im a bit stumped as to what its purpose is.)

PS. Nice "easter egg" posters ^^. Reminds me of syndicate wars for some unexplainable reason...

Edited by Gorlom

what's with the mask.jpg

assets\earth\continentmasks

mask2.JPG

It's color mask for globe defining tilesets. For missing tilesets game use "farm" and with default mask you most time will play on farms(which did not proper now, but under development and i don't want interfere). I edit it for more diverse and for using maps what i have, mostly for "industrial" which currently the most finished.

I hope you understand my english

mask2.JPG

mask2.JPG.6900c7a52d5f2cf841d89daa8f26d5

Edited by zzz

• 6 months later...

thumb.png

It's the map, at first it intended to be just funny thing(not sure why), but it also playable

http://rghost.ru/41065054

It's count as industrial map and not replace original goldhawk files

It's 72x59, and don't afraid - there only one floor in these buildings

Edited by zzz1010
there was wrong foldier structure in archive "town" must be in "tiles" foldier

That is beautiful. Can you give me some idea how you went about creating the trees? They are stunning.

A while ago, when we discussed possible tilesets (pre-kickstarter), forests were ruled out as Chris felt that they were hard to do while retaining any sense of realism. Having seen these, I am converted!

Chris, have you offered zzz1010 a job yet?

I has rendered tree

thumb.png

then lot of painting(lost volume in process) and photoshop to make them more appropriate. Not sure about realism but I think it looks cute. It just easy way - call a bunch of similar trees as forest and snow landscape not need too much detail, but it still nice to play with it.

Not sure I need this as work, it's too much liability, Chris already has much better artist

And thanks.

Edited by zzz1010

zzz1010 - I am really impressed by you town map. I have seen many housing blocks like this in my life so I enjoyed playing a mission in this surronding. I ve also liked that this map had quiet many narrow spaces, so the mission is played more on short distance.

That is beautiful. Can you give me some idea how you went about creating the trees? They are stunning.

A while ago, when we discussed possible tilesets (pre-kickstarter), forests were ruled out as Chris felt that they were hard to do while retaining any sense of realism. Having seen these, I am converted!

Chris, have you offered zzz1010 a job yet?

Agreed! Why is zzz1010 not 'officially' making maps for this game? just the couple of samples I have seen are freaking fantastic! I would love to play on those maps!

I really hope you (and others) carry on developing additional maps and tilesets for the game.

One of my biggest disappointments with the XCom:EU game (which overall I'm really enjoying) is the lack of variety and randomness in the maps, so the more of that we can have in Xenonauts, the better, not just in terms of gameplay, but also to be able to sell Xenonauts to XCom:EU players.

zzz1010 could you perhaps make an example of ordinary pineforest? Some boulders, rocks, logs and maybe a little river? I would really like seeing it. And i still hope this would convince Chris into having a forest/wilderness tileset!

I fully understand if its too much work. Its just a humble wish! :)

You make great stuff!

I for a while did not have any internet, by technical reasons, about two weeks may be, and entertain myself by doing this.

It's cartoonish, and far from perfect, because it's just hand drawn and I not very skilled painter, sometimes messy, and maybe strange colored.

thumb.png

There one randomised map and some submaps. Chinook spawn point allways same but the rest is varied. But the generator is not always good chooses submaps and often puts a lot of the same

It's the farm map but it's not matter too much and can be switched to anything else but farm chinook map have grassy border - it is better fits than parking or sand. It's didn't change any game files and can be easly deleted

http://rghost.ru/41398842

Well, you can try it

And beware alien guerrillas

Bonus picture

thumb.png

Edited by zzz1010

I for a while did not have any internet, by technical reasons, about two weeks may be, and entertain myself by doing this.

It's cartoonish, and far from perfect, because it's just hand drawn and I not very skilled painter, sometimes messy, and maybe strange colored.

thumb.png

There one randomised map and some submaps. Chinook spawn point allways same but the rest is varied. But the generator is not always good chooses submaps and often puts a lot of the same

It's the farm map but it's not matter too much and can be switched to anything else but farm chinook map have grassy border - it is better fits than parking or sand. It's didn't change any game files and can be easly deleted

http://rghost.ru/41398842

Well, you can try it

And beware alien guerrillas

I love it and I hope this will convince Chris to add forrest/jungle tileset into the game :) This is simply stunningly beautiful.

Damn, if the game ends up having areas looking like that, you can safely cross basic graphics off the list of things a reviewer/player has to overlook.

We are not looking at Myst here, but even a little eye candy can do a lot for the perception of a game, as you tend to remember the highlights. If the crashes are all fixed, Xeno will be a solid game even with its current feature set, but it's a little lacking in "x factor" moments. A tileset like this could just cover the graphics department.

Well, godrays are sadly not a tile-friendly effect, but they might be possible to add.