[XCE 032] Aliens grenades without LOS

Victor_Tadeu

So, it seens that more frequently than not the aliens can throw grenades at my soldiers without any line of sight with them. Sometimes I'm on a side of a long wall and without even knowing there is an alien on the other side, a wild grenade flies over the wall and blast my soldiers off. This bugs seens much more damaging to me since I use XDivision mods, that gives aliens a lot of grenades (in XDiv forum they said it's a vanilla bug, so here I am).

This bug is very frustrating and annoying sometimes because I'm trying to play safe and lay some ambushes or lure an alien out, than a grenade just fly from a hidden zone. I could understand a situation where the alien saw me and I didn't saw him (like in the night), or a alien coming to my LOS, retreat, and than remember in the next turn where my soldiers was and throw a grenade there in case I didn't move, but it never happens to a alien throw a grenade where a soldier used to be.

I think anyone who play this game may know that bug, but if not, I may bring a save game from just before an alien throw me a grenade like that.

That's coded into the game under "Probabilistic Search." If the aliens have a good reason to believe you are hiding somewhere, they will blindly fire into that space.

If you go into the gamefiles and increase that value artificially, you get amusing results. Aliens would blindly fire at almost any empty space.

We can't offer official support for user-created mods. As NuclearStudent says it's likely the AI has been tweaked, and even if a bug in vanilla Xenonauts is causing issues in the modded game we can't really justify spending time fixing something that doesn't affect the vanilla game.

So... this bug belong to no one? :(

An alien just came out of a UFO ignored 5 soldier facing him in his line of sight, but kinda far, runned directly to a soldier of mine hiding after the UFO corner where there is no way he saw that soldier moving there since the door was closed, burst shooted him to death and then runned to the UFO. Is like the AI doesn't have fog of war at all.

Moved to X:CE bug reports.

EDIT: Victor, please edit aiprops.xml in the X-Division mod and alter all instances of "ProbabilisticSearch=X" to "ProbabilisticSearch=0". Then run the game again. If you continue to have problems then please re-raise this issue with drages first.

Edited by Max_Caine

Moved to X:CE bug reports.

EDIT: Victor, please edit aiprops.xml in the X-Division mod and alter all instances of "ProbabilisticSearch=X" to "ProbabilisticSearch=0". Then run the game again. If you continue to have problems then please re-raise this issue with drages first.

Thanks for the tip! I reposted the bug in the mod topic and drages gave me an in-depth explanation of what is happening and what is the AI behaviour. It's more clear to me why the caesan runned out of the UFO directly to my soldier, killed him, and runned back and I'm perfectly fine with it now. The AI was just being smart. It knew I had a wounded soldier nearby, knew It was around the right side of the UFO so it took it chances and it is my fault for not retreating a wounded xenonaut. The AI behaving more like a human, it's so rare that almost sound like cheating, but now I think it's great!

The problem, really, is when there is no way the AI saw me, I never saw it to, but still it throw a grenade over a wall right in the foot of my soldiers...

I may mess with ProbabilisticSearch=X to see the results, but not set it to 0 since I think it may broke the AI turning it into a retarded coward. But I'm not sure if the ProbabilisticSearch will change much about the grenade throwing...

• 3 weeks later...