Garrison Duty (a mod to help with manning garrisons and staffing strike teams)

Max_Caine

This Works With: Community Edition 0.32 HF3 and Vanilla 1.5x

What is Garrison Duty?

Garrison Duty is inspired by comments Skitso made about how hard it was to create and manage garrisons. He had proposed some pretty radical changes to the game but I thought there was a way using the current game mechanics to make it possible to raise and manage multiple strike teams and multiple garrisons. I had actually done a lot of the work in a previous mod which I never released, so I was able to adapt that work to this.

Garrison Duty looks at the idea of maturing technologies. Mature technologies don't immediatly vanish in the face of new, experimental technologies. They tend to become more refined as time passes, and that's exactly what happens in this mod. Ballistic weapons can be upgraded twice to improve various aspects, such as accuracy or rate of fire (but not damage). Lasers can be upgraded to make them more accurate, lighter and cheaper to manufacture. Base moudle construction techniques can be updated to make them cheaper to manufacture. By making things that are free better, or things that are expensive cheaper, it's possible to afford more than one strike team and manage garrisons.

Pix plz?

Sure thing!

Earmour_zpsynlrc29f.png

aballistics_zps6hkk9zpj.png

Have a video as well!

[video=youtube;yrqFbtTIqgg]

Link plz?

Here you go!

To install

Garrison Duty uses the standard install method for mods in XCE and Vanilla 1.5x, which is:

Download the mod (125MB install!)

Run Xenonauts and install from the mod tools in the launcher

Credits

Jackal armour recolour thanks to Kabill's armour resource pack.

Weapons frankenstein'd together from bits in Pimp My Gun by me.

Notes

Garrison Duty can be run from an existing game, you don't need to start a new game to access any of the research.

Edited by Max_Caine

Ballistic weapons: The shotgun, assault rifle, pistol and sniper rifle can be upgraded twice through research, representing two different generation of weapons. Rather than adding a new generation of weapons, the current generation is replaced.

Laser weapons: An upgraded version of lasers is made available for manufacture at a cheaper rate on researching the project. Originally they replaced the existing generation but the replace function behaves very strangely with manufacturable weapons.

Jackal armour: An upgraded version of Jackal armour is available for free on researching the project.

Construction techniques: Cheaper base modules are available after the research is completed.

The theme and emphasis of this mod is maturing technologies. It explores the idea of existing technologies becoming more cheaper to manufacture, lighter, etc. etc.. as compared to experimental technologies which may be objectively better but lack the polish and sophistication of mature tech. In theory 12 new guns are added - 8 ballistic and 4 laser, but these are upgrades of existing tech, so I don't count them as truly new guns and in any case 8 of those guns replace the existing generation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I tried the mod Version 1.0, using only the mods added by the CE version 3.2(or whatever the steam CE is up to) minus the fury and dreadnaught mod....and from the begining I had some of the cheaper base buildings available with ****** as their name...yes, the asterisks, not a swear word... after capturing my first live alien, I also had a research with the same name...it was at this point i saved and exited... to see what might be the problem.

Not yet, I'll go get one, then edit this post with it when I got it.

Edit - Ok, weird, I went in, and this time, the base structures had names....still available from the beginning for the reduced cost stuff... but were there without research...

2015-05-02_00001.jpg

As you can see, up top is the full price vanilla buildings, and down below is the reduced price buildings....and as you can see, I barely started the game.(Normal difficulty, only additional mod since I last mentioned this was the addition of Instant Grenades from the steam workshop, and switching out and back to CE edition)

2015-05-02_00001.jpg

2015-05-02_00001.thumb.jpg.8a683c6e26b38

Edited by Kontaro

Something's gone wrong there quite badly - the cheaper buildings are supposed to replace the more expensive ones. I'm going to have to get to the bottom of this when I get in front of my home computer.

EDIT: You couldn't pull the mod merge log could you? It should be in /Documents/<Yourusername>/Applications/Roaming/Goldhawk Interactive/Xenonauts/. That might help to explain what's going on. (It may not be under /Roaming/ - it is under mine).

Edited by Max_Caine

What I am looking for is a mod that allows me to change the order of the troops displayed when they go on a mission. I like to put my assault troops in the area nearest the exit but the game insist on doing the order differently. Just switching the positions does not work is there a way to change the ORDER the men are brought up...right now every time I do combat I have to physically pick the soldier I want to move instead of him being picked in the order I want.

Ok Max, I THINK I found the file you want, it was in the right place, but is just called 'Logfile.txt' and only has 3 lines in it.

Sat May 02 22:09:44 2015: Xenonauts, version .

Sat May 02 22:09:45 2015: Pixel Shader Version: ffff0300

Sat May 02 22:10:23 2015: ##### : Missing string for label ''

Is that the modmerge file? or should I look elsewhere?

I'll add mine too, since I've also had the same problem.

http://pastebin.com/9hZjCaJL

In addition, I've had some problems with corrupted saves. I'm about 80% sure that it's the enhanced jackal armor, but I haven't specifically tested whether it's the mod. The only other mods I had active at the time were Lore+ and the map pack that comes with the game.

In addition x2, have you considered putting this on the steam workshop?

Ah, I forgot to mention. You have to add a switch to the .exe to get it to output everything to the logfile, that switch being -modinfo. I have a shortcut with the switch permanently on. Let me show you guys what you should be seeing: here's my paste. You can see that there's a lot of stuff merged, and you should see that every time the logfile outputs. The only thing I can think of doing right now is zipping up the live files I'm fiddling about with and see if those files are more acceptable. Let me get cracking on that - mediafire has a fairly slow upload.

hagmablabla, sadly I can't! It's over 100mb (which is mostly armour files) and that takes me over the upload limit for mods. What I'll do is when this works properly for everyone, I'll make an account on Nexus and host it from there.

EDIT: Hi Larry, this the Garrison Duty mod thread, so making that kind of requests are unsuitable. What I will say re. your request is I don't have the foggiest how it would be done. I suspect that this is all hardcoded in the .exe.

Edited by Max_Caine

See, that's what I don't understand. Kontaro, according to your logfile, everything in the Garrison mod was merged correctly into the main files. Usually ##### appears when you don't have the appropriate entry in strings.xml, but that's there, so I'm stumped. I'm currently switching from 1.59 over to CE to see if I've done something in 1.59 which is incompatible with CE.

UPDATE: I've switched over to CE and I'm not experiencing any problems. Kontaro, jax, hagamablahblah, are you Steam or GoG? I'm using Steam for both vanilla and CE.

Edited by Max_Caine

#twitch#

Okay, I've started a new game in CE and I'm now experiencing the same issue as Kontaro, that the cheaper buildings appear without the research.

#headthrob#

God damn, I'm going to be all night getting to the bottom of this. I hope to god there isn't a compatibility issue with CE and 1.59.

I don't think it's CE, since I was getting the same bug without CE. I was playing on a slightly older version (1.54) though, so that could be the reason.

Actually now that I think about it, the crashing might have been due to the older version as well. I'll try updating and seeing if there's still a problem.

Good job I'm not charging for this! :) Could I have a rundown from everyone what problems they're having. It seems to be the following:

• Missing text for buildings - #### (Kontaro)
  • Cheaper buildings appearing without research (Kontaro)
  • Corrupted saves (hagmablabla)
  • Missing text in research (jax70)

Am I missing anything? I'm not quite sure what I can do about corrupted saves. The only thing I could do is to just simply remove the art and recoloured sprites for the enhanced jackal armour and make do with the standard sprite. I could then ask Jsleezy if I could use his art in the mod. That should reduce any problems and there would be the added benefit that without the recoloured sprites it could go into the Workshop.

The missing text for buildings fixed itself the second time I ran it....for some reason...but I had the extra building bits then too. So now I just have that(guessing the tech names are there since the base names are...altho since someone else is missing it...hmmm)