X-Division 0.99 Ideas Discussion

drages

Some feedback on weapons.

Rifles seem pointless currently. You can't use them at long range (15+), they suck at mid range (10-15), and they're far worse than shotguns at close range (<10). Any chance we could get a buff for this class? I'd specifically want longer range.

I designed some blades for melee combat, but blades are not so heavy at irl.. so for heavy melee we need sledgehammers and then the game becomes warhammer :P...

Some modern alternative heavy melee weapons:

*Pilebunker (Like a very powerful one-shot jackhammer industrial tool)

*Thermic lance (Thermite based incineration pole)

*Impact hammer (Unreal Tournament 99 melee weapon)

*Chainsaw

*Industrial saw blade

*Police doorbreacher

hi drags....i love your mod....a simple idea to reduce useless weapons production could be to set granedes and missiles unlimitedonresearch.....what do you think about?

Old manufactures are one of the biggest problem of xenonauts modding at big projects. Making things unlimited will kill the xcom feeling. So I thing ilunak will give me a new code for erasing manufactures at 0.34 and we will be happy together.

Some feedback on weapons.

Rifles seem pointless currently. You can't use them at long range (15+), they suck at mid range (10-15), and they're far worse than shotguns at close range (<10). Any chance we could get a buff for this class? I'd specifically want longer range.

Shot gün range is 3-5 at mod. So rifle is best for 4 12 range still. At 0.99 rifles will have about 14 range max. Only some lasers will have longer. You will need to use sniper or cannons for longer range fights.

Some modern alternative heavy melee weapons:

*Pilebunker (Like a very powerful one-shot jackhammer industrial tool)

*Thermic lance (Thermite based incineration pole)

*Impact hammer (Unreal Tournament 99 melee weapon)

*Chainsaw

*Industrial saw blade

*Police doorbreacher

I don't want to use non military equipment like chainsaws or futuristic hammers. As I said I will add some blades and hand axes maybe to fit game animation. You will have already buttons shotguns beams injectors for melee range. Do we need more? Thermal Lance is nice but we are at lack of animations. We dreamed so many things at original xcom because there was always lame star effect at every melee hit. I try to avoid it as much as I can now..

This will be the same for alien guns, yes?

Yes... there will be very few difference.. like they got 14 range at rifles mostly.. the updates you will make to weapons will give range bonus too..

I made many things standard with aliens,us and weapons.. for example every weapon type (there are exceptions) got standard TU, acc, fire mods.. Your standard rifle and aliens end game rifle shoots for same acc for same TU.. so the difference will be your soldiers ability.. With this you wont see any sure shot snipers from rookie soldiers and at least until end game aliens... Again there will some special weapons to break these rules but very few.. Alien weapons got a bit more at heavy weapons to avoid them not to shoot at all.. everything will be tested for sure.. i just got TOOONS of coding to write, and its still easier then brainstorming for balance and research/manufacture trees..

And you will have to choose your branch now.. At every phase you will need to choose ballistic or energy weapon tree.. you will get both branchs MK1 weapons but you can get updates of the chosen branch. I am still brainstorming this.. There will be chances to continue other branch too after you updated enough the chosen branch..

so for heavy melee we need sledgehammers and then the game becomes warhammer
I don't want to use non military equipment like chainsaws or futuristic hammers.

:) This could be powerfull vibro/electro/impulse/wave shockers or a chemical sprayer - heavy two-handed weapons with 1 tile range, high damage and ammo. Maybe it can be done like a flamethrower with the same animation but with 1 tile range and green/blue flame. It is an analogue of a ranged heavy weapon to use with power armor (the only melee-like weapon to use with power armor as it doesn't support shields) but without suppression, with high accuracy, very short range and higher damage. It can be a separate branch with autoupdate.

So we cant hire special str guys from the beginning, the str bonus of the power armour make able to use a not so experienced soldier this big weapons..

Strong soldiers: shield with heavy melee weapon with good armor (power armor if possible), power armor with heavy range weapon and much ammo without penalty, power armor with heavy two-handed melee/very short-ranged weapon with much ammo without penalty.

Weak soldiers: shield with pistol/leight melee weapon and moderate simple armor, heavy one-handed melee weapon with good armor without shield, power armor with heavy ranged weapon with 1 ammo and with small penalty, power armor with heavy two-handed melee/very short range weapon with 1 ammo and small penalty.

Under the spoiler I put some rough ideas about how I see it.

This values are very approximate.

1) Now there is strength inverval 40-60. This can be cnanged to: str 35-70. It will increase the chance to hire a stronger soldier from the beginning. globalMaxProgress for strength can be increased to 110 (if power armor strengthBoost will be decreased). Strength per level can be increased to get stronger soldiers faster.

2) StrengthBoost of power armor should be decreased, for example, for predator it can be 78 (it is about 30 kg weight) instead of 100. This allows for a new recruit to use predator armor (16 kg), some heavy weapon (12 kg) and 1 ammo (4 kg) with a small penalty. So it is always possible to get heavy rookie and if soldier has high str att he will get enough str after some battles and move without penalty and with more ammo. Moreover when power armor appear some soldiers will be already strong enough.

3) Heavy one-handed melee weapon branch (10 kg) (maybe all melee weapon make heavy but with more charges?) and heavy shields (14 kg) can be implemented. Any soldier with str around 65 (weight about 27 kg) will be able to use either weapon or shield with moderate armor (14 kg shield + 10 kg armor + 3 kg pistol or 10 kg melee weapon + 10 kg armor + something else). To use both without penalty soldier should have about 85 str (14 kg shield + 10 kg armor + 10 kg weapon). To balance it to the game speed first melee weapon like chemical injector can be leight, then new heavier and more powerfull weapons can appear.

Trying to warp the general-purpose way soliders are made and level up into a class-based system won't work - drages doesn't have the flexibility necessary to impose class-based limits. Really and truly if you want a class-based game the only way you can do it with Xenonauts is through the armour, because stats can be directly modified either positive or negative and there's some (but not much) control over what you can dictate a suit or armour can carry.

Trying to warp the general-purpose way soliders are made and level up into a class-based system...

Using different armors with different stats is not what I am thinking of, since you always can put it on any soldier.

I suggest to make str attribute and soldiers experience more important for heavy soldiers if it is possible. In my game I have many experienced soldiers and if I want some of them to use heavy weapon I completely ignore their strength because it has no meaning to be strong to use heavy weapon (paradox?) – just put on power armor. Therefore I am trying to find a way to make some differences between strong and weak soldiers – enhance flexibility of strong soldiers (e.g. to use both heavy weapon and heavy shield) or make some small penalty for inexperienced weak soldiers while using power armor with heavy weapon. But maybe you are right and this situation can't be fixed only with balance changes.

stem11... its hard, very hard.. but even you can do this, its not designed for this game style and it will create more problems then solutions.

I got tons of things to burn my brain and coding, so i wont go so much micro detailed for it.. They are all special soldiers which got much more str then normal army men.. so i dont see any point to add weak/strong thing.. I dont know that you played any Fallout game before, but this power armour using is just like that.. the armour itself gives the str which user needs.

Armour coding is not hard or complicated.. If you want something so special, you are welcome to mod my mod about this.. For mod modders i try to make my mod as clean as i can.. so even i stop somewhere, maybe others can continue without lost at code...

About weapons.. i repeat again.. there are already melee weapon/short range weapons.. I dont want to put many weapons for same purpose. Heavy armours got only heavy weapon animation, which makes me sad..

stem11... its hard, very hard..

OK. Unfortunately I know little about what can/can't be done in the game so I write my ideas in the hope that you will find something useful to make mod better. I think after you've finished mod I will try to play with some changed parameters myself and if I find something interesting I'll let you know.

OK. Unfortunately I know little about what can/can't be done in the game so I write my ideas in the hope that you will find something useful to make mod better. I think after you've finished mod I will try to play with some changed parameters myself and if I find something interesting I'll let you know.

I found useful ideas at your comments and used many of them.. just this soldier classification is too complicated..

Shot gün range is 3-5 at mod. So rifle is best for 4 12 range still. At 0.99 rifles will have about 14 range max. Only some lasers will have longer. You will need to use sniper or cannons for longer range fights.
More 4-10 range usually, and at that range it's almost always better to either close distance and fire off 1-2 shotgun blasts OR retreat and use a sniper rifle. The rifles are fairly useless, since they lack the damage of sniper rifles and shotguns to kill with just 1-2 shots. They really feel more like SMGs: moderate damage, short range, low accuracy.

More 4-10 range usually, and at that range it's almost always better to either close distance and fire off 1-2 shotgun blasts OR retreat and use a sniper rifle. The rifles are fairly useless, since they lack the damage of sniper rifles and shotguns to kill with just 1-2 shots. They really feel more like SMGs: moderate damage, short range, low accuracy.

Yes... but you cant know where an enemy will pop up at battle.. Of course, a rifle will have lower damage then sniper and shotguns will be better at point zero range. What is your idea? Longer range? Then you will use it over sniper and someone will tell me "there is no reason to use sniper when we have rifles.." at 0.97 ppl used only rifles and at 0.98 they use snipers.. there is very thin line between sniper and rifle.. SMG at the mod are ranged for 6-8 with bad accuracy..

099enemyweapons_zpsfsnaezdh.png

All (there is some more at Ancient category but even that size was not enough to put all) enemy weapons at 0.99.. coded/edited/tested.. Now i will give them to aliens and finalize them as stats.. i finished them because i need to use proper aliens to test player weapons. There will be more then one Praetor at the game and you will see them at terror and base assaults too..

Drages, will you keep the way to finish the game the same as it is, or do you add more requirements before you can launch operation endgame?

I noticed in my playthroughs of vanilla Xenonauts, I can purposefully let the aliens build up an Alien Base, wait for it grow into an Alien Fortress, then grab the praetor there, instead of waiting for a battleship to come. This way I can skip battleships, singularity research and such.

To make the game for a modded experience more interesting, maybe the endgame operation research might require more components than just a praetor to complete the game. Maybe X-Division needs to salvage alien equipment, enriched alenium and singularity cores to create a the hyperspace inhibitor, meaning you do need to confront battleships and not skip them. Just an idea.

Drages, will you keep the way to finish the game the same as it is, or do you add more requirements before you can launch operation endgame?

I noticed in my playthroughs of vanilla Xenonauts, I can purposefully let the aliens build up an Alien Base, wait for it grow into an Alien Fortress, then grab the praetor there, instead of waiting for a battleship to come. This way I can skip battleships, singularity research and such.

To make the game for a modded experience more interesting, maybe the endgame operation research might require more components than just a praetor to complete the game. Maybe X-Division needs to salvage alien equipment, enriched alenium and singularity cores to create a the hyperspace inhibitor, meaning you do need to confront battleships and not skip them. Just an idea.

X-Division will have 3 praetor... one for battleship one for alien base and one for terror/base assault missions.. You would need 3 of them and much more..

And taking an Alien fortress down would be a nightmare.. but every base of every race will give you unique research/item.. so you will have for example "1" super weapon without manufacture.. so rare weapons will be mostly unmanufacturable..

X-Division will have 3 praetor... one for battleship one for alien base and one for terror/base assault missions.. You would need 3 of them and much more..

And taking an Alien fortress down would be a nightmare.. but every base of every race will give you unique research/item.. so you will have for example "1" super weapon without manufacture.. so rare weapons will be mostly unmanufacturable..

3 Praetors sounds pretty cool, although I hope there will be information somewhere in xenopedia/research unlock that mentions where you could find them, since a terror mission/base assault is something a player usually wants to avoid instinctively, so if they're playing the first time, they may run into a problem where they feel lost where they go "where the hell is the last praetor?".

Either way, I really do like that you're incorporating terror missions as something you need to do to win the game, as in vanilla I rarely get them because I make sure they never happen.

3 Praetors sounds pretty cool, although I hope there will be information somewhere in xenopedia/research unlock that mentions where you could find them, since a terror mission/base assault is something a player usually wants to avoid instinctively, so if they're playing the first time, they may run into a problem where they feel lost where they go "where the hell is the last praetor?".

Either way, I really do like that you're incorporating terror missions as something you need to do to win the game, as in vanilla I rarely get them because I make sure they never happen.

You wont able to avoid terror missions as easy as before.. At late game, it would be nearly impossible. Yes there will be a clear info about this.

• 3 weeks later...

2015-07-07_00001_zps38idbpik.jpg

We all miss it, didn't we? and its animated!.. and you will die.. more :)

One of the iconic enemy of the X-Com series and caesan's were so alone after i gave all the drones to the androns.. Shiny disc of death will return to game with some variations (little and mid size versions with new weapons)...

As i figured out how to put animated units into the game,i can make much more new enemies but when there is more animation, it would be a HUGE time taking progress..