Counter weapons at air fight!

drages

Another creative question from me..

I am working on air weapons and start to using missile hitting counter weapons..

Let me tell my story..

1. I wanted to give a counter weapon to scout. I tried it against planes with normal missiles.

2. Counter weapon didnt work against normal missiles.

3. I tried it against heavy missiles and scout defended itself. And i thought the counter works only against heavy weapons.

4. I added another counter weapon to landship.

5. At test fights, i saw that the counter weapons shoot down normal weapons too..

6. I wanted to add a counter weapon to my planes against alien cannons.

7. Even i used the same counter weapon i used landing ufo didnt work for me against alien cannons (i tried to make that cannons as normal and heavy weapon.

So even i put same weapon to my plain and ufo, at same fight, the ufo counter worked but my plane's doesnt..

I think there is some more calculations in this matter. So how is that counter missile working?

Max i think you would now that as u worked on that so much as i see..

thx!

Anti-Missile defences only work against Missile/Alien Missile type projectiles (as defined in aircraftweapons.xml). Don't think the hardpoint type matters at all.

Which line is that? I tried every option but my counters dont react any of the enemy weapons.. There is no place you name an air weapon "missile" or something else.. what do i miss?

Edited by drages

Column 14: "ProjName". Types include 'Bullet', 'Alien Bullet', 'Missile', 'Alien Missile' and 'Alien Torpedo'.

Note that it's possible that anti-missile defences will only work against 'Missile' type and not also the 'Alien Missile' type I wrote above as I can't remember exactly. So if you're testing missile defences for player aircraft and 'Alien Missile' attacks keep getting through it might be that you'll need to change them simply to 'Missile' instead (I don't know if changing type makes any difference other than for anti-missile defences.)

Hm, missed this one. Just a little note to add to what has already been said. In my experience the game will crash if any antimissile weapon is able to keep more than one projectile on the screen at any time. I.E. if you set the lock time/fire time low to simulate interception fire from point defence turrets, the game will crash when the second projectile is fired from the ufo/interceptor.

Hm, missed this one. Just a little note to add to what has already been said. In my experience the game will crash if any antimissile weapon is able to keep more than one projectile on the screen at any time. I.E. if you set the lock time/fire time low to simulate interception fire from point defence turrets, the game will crash when the second projectile is fired from the ufo/interceptor.

Wow.. I was getting some crashes but i thought they were about missing code or images. Thx for warning.. I won't able to find the reason by myself.

What a lame bug anyway :)

It's something that both kabill and myself have experienced in the past. I think when the basic functionality for air combat was stable, anything else that could be considered unstable was dropped in favour of concentrating all resources on ground combat.

Yep you are right.. still having nice stuffs for modders like this counter and armour.. that bugs can be handled by ce coders anyway.

I am making air combat heavily on missiles and torpedoes for both sides.

Rather then ultra fast huge ufos with non guided cannons, I prefer slow good maneuvering photon missile/torpedo carrying ufos..

Sadly wasn't able to check this for certain this morning (I'll do it later) but when I was playing around with anti-missile defences a few months ago I managed to get them working without getting any crashes, including IIRC multiple shots at the same time. As I say, though, I need to check as I might be misremembering or might not have tested some specific conditions where it would come up.

I figured out something important..

I create an UFO weapon coded same as my own torpedo weapon just i didnt play with numbers.. So with this idea, UFO torpedo should be targeted by my counters. But my counters still did not react..

I checked the code but both were missile, both have same lines.. just the values were different..

I checked the values and beside numbers there was left only one thing..

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">FiringMode</Data></Cell>...

At alien weapon this was auto and at my weapon it was mixed.. i changed alien torpedo to mixed and when i tried it, my all counters started to fire that torpedo.. i was so happy..

But you need to have crazy <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">ProjTurnRate</Data></Cell> to make your counter bullet hit the enemy missile..

I can confirm the multiple shots at the same time bug.