Community Edition/Massive slowdown during ground combat

I have a slow laptop this I know lol. Xenonauts runs a little slow on the geoscape but is very much playable! During ground combat I get masive slowdown on some parts but it runs perfect on other parts of the map! I don't understand why. I have already tried switching to the compatability branch but then the game wont launch..? I was wondering if there were any tips or tricks to improve performance while playing or any settings I could change to smooth out GC! Thanks in advance not expecting miracles but any help is appreciated!!

The game won't launch with the compatibility edition? That's odd. Could you try verifying your files? It'll take ages because there's so many of them but an incomplete download is usually why the game doesn't launch. The slowdown is almost certainly due to the tile atlases and the compatibility edition should fix it.

If that doesn't work, I'd advise trying to get a refund. As the developers we've got no problem with people being granted refunds if the game won't run on their machine (link customer service to this post if you want).