[V1.56 Ground Combat] Base Defense loading screen crash

My game is 100% Vanilla from Steam. Haven't even downloaded any mods, much less installed them. I'm up to my 128th UFO, zero problems. This however, is my very first base defense on this version of the game (I played my first run through of Xenonauts in December-ish and zero problems from start to finish, including several base defense missions)

My troops from the base about to be attacked are off on a mission at the time. I get the "base under attack" popup, I click the "equip defenders" button. It allows me to change my gear to my heart's content (odd since like I said, they are NOT at base), and the moment I hit the geoscape button to start the base defense, it takes me to the loading screen where it promptly crashes. 100% reproduction.

Now, I read the top sticky and this game is on my D: drive, so I moved it to C: but it didn't change a thing. Perhaps delete local content and re-download to C:?

Anyway, great game, 333 hours played currently! Any and all help is appreciated.

-Yatz

Yup, that's what we need. It crashes for me too - I'm pretty sure the reason it's crashing is because all the troops at the base under attack are actually on an airborne Chinook at the time (so the base should be destroyed, along with the Chinook and all the soldiers). We'll get it fixed up, but it's not a particularly high priority fix for us because it's a pretty uncommon occurrence.

In the meantime you can do a slightly cheap workaround by unassigning one of the soldiers from the Chinook - it still works even though it is in-flight. Then the mission doesn't crash on load.