[v1.57 - Experimental] Ground Combat Stops Responding

I've just installed the game for the first time and selected the Experimental branch (from Steam, Windows 7). I followed the tutorial tips, explored a few menus, shot down an alian, and launched my first ground assault.

A few turns in, I clicked to fire on an alien and the game became unresponsive. The mouse moved and music played but it would not respond to keyboard or mouse clicks. I had to shut it down from task manager and reload the auto save.

On the replay, during the alien turn, the game became unresponsive with the camera focused on a visible alien. My assumption is that it was trying to fire on me.

The next day, I decided to abandon that save and start a new game. A few turns in on the next ground combat it once again locked while trying to fire on an alien.

I restarted from the auto save and this time decided to quick save at the end of each turn. I reached a point where I was near the alien craft and during the hiden movement phase I could hear the door open to the ship and then the game would hang as before. Multiple reloads of the quicksave always did the same thing.

I desided to change to the 1.56 branch. On reloading the quicksave, I heard the door open, and then saw shots come though the windows, across a building which was between the ship and my team. I was able to continue playing and eventually finished the mission.

So in each of these cases, the game seemed to hang while either the aliens or myself were trying to fire. 1.56 does not seem to have the problem for me.

Thank you.