I need ideas for realistic base names and locations.

Nesano

Groom Lake, Nevada comes to mind, as does any number of "secret" submarine installations on the Kola Pensinsula (a lousy spot for a base). One of my favorites is Jabal Al-Lawz in Saudi Arabia. Whatever one might say about it being the Biblical Mount Sinai or otherwise, it is a very secure and secretive place. The Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan and Cape Canaveral in Florida are both real-life spaceports and fairly convenient locations for Xenonaut bases. Another decent way to site three bases (not as good) is to locate them at Deep Space Network stations in Goldstone in California, Madrid in Spain, and Canberra in Australia. If you want even more of a challenge, put the prime meridian longitude station at its old spot in Johannesburg in South Africa, a scheme which would leave Europe, Middle East, and Soviet Union nearly impossible to cover.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Because I am that kind of hardcore as well, I suggest checking old United States Air Force Air Defense Command bases in North America -- several were closed down right before the start of the game, and that seems almost like it's begging for the bases to be turned over to the Xenonauts project. (My personal favorite is Glasgow AFB, for instance, in Montana.

If you're looking at the Caribbean, I might suggest Vieques, Puerto Rico -- a US Navy testing site, and again, the sort of place that might get seconded to the Xenonauts project, if it's still being all secretive.

I have a fondness for setting up my European base somewhere in Eastern Europe; this last playthrough I went with Caracal, Romania, which used to have a Romanian Air Force base there during the Cold War.

Different countries have different naming traditions, and as Xenonauts is an international organisation, the closest equivalent would be the UN. However, I'm damned if I can find what those UN bases are actually called. I think they are simply called after the region in which they are located, such as Kidal Base in Mali - I haven't found any other name for it.

In my current save I name my bases after generals more or less from the local region. I suppose I could have gone for Santa Anna base in South America, but that ended up as Patton base instead. And Zhukov has to make do with Indonesia. Close enough, I say.

Or you could simply go with the phonetic alphabet. Alpha base, Bravo base, etc. Boring, but functional.

• 3 weeks later...