Stable V1.51 Released on all platforms!

Xenonauts V1.51 has now been released on Steam, Humble Store, GOG and Desura for Windows / Mac / Linux.

Humble Store and GOG may take a day or two to update their files because I've only just sent them the download links they're probably not working at the weekend, so expect them to arrive there around Monday / Tuesday next week. However, Steam should be ready to go.

Changelog:

Please be aware that we have also created a new "Compatibility" version of the game for Windows / Mac / Linux that can either be downloaded direct from the vendor (in case of Humble Store / GOG / Desura) or by switching to the Compatibility branch on Steam (instructions here).

This version of the game does not use any file archiving or tile atlases, so loads more slowly and contains ~150,000 files. However it may solve some hardware issues on low-end machines and should also allow modders and mappers easy access to all of the files included in the final game.

Releasing a new version across all the different platforms is an incredibly painful and time consuming process so this is likely to be the last version of Xenonauts unless we discover a game-breaking bug in V1.51; once the builds are all out we'll probably send a press release about it to the big sites and see if we can get some news coverage :)

I did the same, but started playing a month ago. If you liked UFO you will love Xenonauts. It's virtually as perfect as it can be. Chris has really done a good job on it. Get playing!

One thing though Chris - so gog has the compatibility mode version? I suppose it explains why it doesn't load that fast...

Edited by ooey

Not sure about other platforms, but my Humble copy is still a Steam integrated copy, which requires the Steam API DLL file to boot (and most likely Steam installed as well), instead of a DRM-free one. I'd like to play on my laptop which doesn't seem to be able to handle Steam very well.

It contains the steam api dll, but does it actually need Steam installed to play? Afaik the steam dll is only used for the Steam Workshop mod uploader.

Yes, it requires the steam api dll to be present on the same folder as the executable, but this is only used if you want to use the Steam Workshop to sync your mods.

It should work fine without having Steam installed!