[v1.5 stable] Ground Combat - Crashes upon saving

So I load geoscape in v1.5 stable and notice a massive ship (read: battleship) land on Greenland soil.

I scramble my squad and a hover tank into Valkerie and burn to the landed alien ship. Upon making landfall, I deploy and save the game ([ATTACH]6093[/ATTACH]).

Then I move out my solders to random locations and end turn. End turn successfully completes with aliens shooting stuff up. Then I try to save the game and it crashes the game.

Loading earlier geoscape saves and burning to the landed battleship result in the same outcome.

Please help, I cannot proceed further with the game

a few more facts:

1) Landing save file loads properly for me

2) Files are verified on steam

3) Exact build is v1.51

4) No mods

Landing.sav

Landing.sav

Edited by Kainass

Hmm. Can you send the save file from before the mission starts, too? Thanks.

The game crashes when you win the mission or on save, so I'm wondering if the change to V1.51 corrupted crash sites that had already spawned when I released it.

Dear Chris,

I doubt that v1.51 release corrupted the crash landing, because I loaded to v1.51 geoscape, waited for the battleship to land, and then landed myself. So the spawning of the site and landing happened within the same build. Plus I had this problem in v1.50 expiremental as well on the exactly same geoscape save file during Christmas, so decided to wait till you release 1.5 stable.

Here is the save with the landed battleship that causes this corrupt landing site. [ATTACH]6094[/ATTACH]

Unfortunately, I no longer have the save file where the battleship was still flying.

I hope it helps

Kainas.sav

Kainas.sav

Thanks. So I've tested that with the Steam build and if I start from the Kainas.sav, blowing up the battleship with a Fury and attacking the Carrier with the dropship, there's no problem with it for me (even using the default Steam files).

So I suspect there's something in your game setup that's corrupting the mission as it is created. Do you have any mods installed or anything?

Ok, now this is getting really wierd... I will try to be as descriptive as possible.

Following your suspicions around mods corrupting the files, I made sure I have steam stable selected, verified all files, loaded xenonauts launcher and deleted community map mod (which came pre-installed in steam version and was previously disabled by me), no other mods were installed ever.

Loaded Kainas.sav and landed with the dropship again. It did generate a slightly different map for me and I was able to make around ~10 turns or so and save after each turn.

After I mowed down enemy hordes outside and started breaching the battleship, suddenly, I could not longer save the game after turn ended - it crashes to desktop when I attempt to save.

I got curious, and started experimenting. I loaded all the previous saves one by one from the moment I landed on the mission and tried to save the same turn again, but crashed immediately to the desktop.

So in summary, I was able to land, made multiple turns and successfully save each turn without crashing through out the mission up to a certain point, and I am able to successfully load those saves. Subsequently, after I encountered the first crash to desktop incident in the mission, I can no longer save after successfully loading any of the previously made mission saves.

Here is the last quick save I was able to make before crashing starts happening. [ATTACH]6107[/ATTACH]

Here are two combat saves I made successfully without crashing during the mission and which I am able to successfully load, but crash when I try to save even without ending turn first. [ATTACH]6108[/ATTACH][ATTACH]6109[/ATTACH]

Here is the landing save that was created for the mission. [ATTACH]6106[/ATTACH]

Ps. I do not mean to brag, but I keep my pc in good order, anti-virus, software/hardware firewalls, patching, up-to-date drivers, etc, so the likelihood that my machine is causing this is rather small.

Pss. Let me know if you need anything else from me. I wish there would be some sort of debug log I could give you, want to finish this game, really liked it thus far :)

LaNding2.sav

Quic.sav

Combat1.sav

Combat2.sav

LaNding2.sav

Quic.sav

Combat1.sav

Combat2.sav

Edited by Kainass

The issue that's causing the crash is apparently something to do with an aircraft getting corrupted, which sounds really bizarre but is apparently what's going on. Have you been doing anything unusual with the Fury beforehand?

I am not sure I follow... How is Fury (which is in flight in geoscape and obliterates another battleship before drop ship lands) related to a drop ship arriving on a another landed battleship?

Yet, answering your question, Fury was built on my main base in Europe, killed a few battleships, then i relocated it to North America. No further activities took place with Fury as far as I remember.

Hope this helps

Edited by Kainass

We're not entirely clear what's causing the issue, but we think it might be connected to the UFO / interceptor bug. Giovanni wasn't able to reproduce the crashes when loading the mission himself, but I might see if I can do it tomorrow. But yeah, we're at a bit of a loss.

Is it possible for you to play on by not attacking that particular Carrier? Or does it affect every mission?

OK, so I've checked this in a bit more detail:

Firstly, I used your Kainas save from before the mission to create my own map and I played through the entire mission for a good 20 turns, saving regularly, and I managed to finish the mission. Attached to the post is a save from just before the assault on the final command room in case you want to finish the mission yourself (your team is pretty OP so I'm only using about four soldiers).

Then I loaded Quic.sav and tried to save again, but it crashed immediately whether I save at the start of the turn or after I press End Turn. Similarly, Landing.sav just crashes as soon as I try to save even if I do so on the very first turn. So it seems to be connected with the way your copy of Xenonauts is generating missions; we can't really reproduce it from our end so it's difficult to isolate the root causes of the crash.

As I've not seen anyone else reporting this bug, I suggest you either skip this mission or finish it using the save I provided below. Hopefully this bug won't manifest in any other missions for you and you'll be able to complete the game without any problems. If it affects other missions then let us know.

command_room2.sav

command_room2.sav

command_room2.sav