If I wanted to make a mod for myself, would I need to use the modular mod system?

Lerzan

While I would like to make a mod for the community to enjoy, I just can't wrap my head around how the MMS works. I can edit the xml file values and even add in weapons (or I could...) but even reading the MMS didn't help me. The community edition thing is another can of worms for me.

No, just editing the game files is fine. The modular mod system is primarily there for people to distribute mods in a compatible and easy-to-remove manner, so as long as you don't mind having to restore your files to their original form to remove any changes you make editing the originals is fine for personal use.

• 2 months later...

Just my thoughts,

I have been away from the forum for a while, but am back and decided to start converting my old Xenonauts Choices mod to the modular system. And I must say if you are making a big mod, i.e. more than just editing the odd line, then the modular system is far easier once you get your head round it.

This is because you only have your own changes in your mod, so its much easier to find and trouble shoot all your entries, when they are not surrounded by vanilla game stuff and other peoples mod entries...

If I were you I would go with the modular approach if you are going to change a lot.