Base defense turrets

podbelski

so does anyone use these buildings at all?

I really hope someone has a clue how do they work exactly, but looks like I have to set up some tests to find this out...

like if the ufo has 4000 HP, battery damage is 1500, ufo crew is 20, the "defense" parameter of the turret is set to 10 (in buildings.xml), what will be the outcome if two turrets fire and:

1. both miss?

2. one hit, one miss?

3. both hit?

...what I don't like in current implementation is the benefit is not reliable. I still have to maintain the full strike crew at the base, or rely on save scumming to ensure base defences hit the UFO. On top of that, the game does not give any clue will your defences destroy a particular ufo in case of the hit (is the damage enough or no)... this means setting hit chance to 100% does not help as well (you don't know beforehand are your turrets capable of taking down that ufo flying around the base or no)

thus you pay solid money and spend base space to know you have a chance to prevent the attack/make the defence somewhat easier, if you happen to see your base attacked... so atm I don't build these turrets and rely on the team, it's simply better... but feels wrong

Edited by podbelski

... so I've set damage to just 10, accuracy to 100, defense to 20. The UFO was loaded by 10 caesans, two hits by batteries... and still having 10 aliens in combat

as I don't see other turret-related parameters in buildings.xml, does this mean base defenses do not ever reduce UFO crew? So either the ufo is destroyed before the base GC, or there is no benefit from defense turrets

cant say for sure) I guess no earlier than I finish my own mod

regarding turrets, tried a couple of other proportions - bigger damage so more than a half of ufo HP is "covered" by hits, and set the "defense" parameter to 80... same thing - the crew is not affected.

now I have to think what is the best way to utilize these structures in a meaningful and gameplay-friendly way... turning them off completely now became a possible choice

• 3 weeks later...