Confused by stun damage mechanics

Leiska

Hello!

I just recently picked up Xenonauts and I've been trying (and failing) to beat it on Veteran Ironman a few times now. I think I figured most things out by now, but I just don't understand how stun damage works. I assume the blue numbers that pop up somehow explain how powerful the stun attack is, but my succes rate seems completely independent of that. Gas grenades deal single digit stun damage, yet frequently instantly stun aliens or at least take them out on the second round, again with single digit damage, yet stun batons that seem to deal roughly 50-100 stun damage often fail to one-shot aliens.

Speaking of gas grenades, how exactly does accuracy calculation for thrown objects work? I seem to get very low calculated hit rates, yet the throws seem far more accurate than most rifle shots. Also, it seem pretty punishing to have the chance of fumbling your grenade toss so badly you drop it right under your own feet. That seems like an almost impossible scenario for a highly trained soldier.

Welcome to forum..

Stun damage is a side damage and yes that blue damage is for it.. When u throw a grenade it hits first time for damage and u can see it but at next turn the cloud hits again but you dont see its stun damage. So cloud is much powerful, but you dont see the cloud damage. You need to make stun damage equal to that enemies hp.. Stun and normal damages are different.. so even an alien have 1 hp left, u need to make whole stun damage to equal its hp again..

Grenade accuracy is something different.. just dont try to throw when you are near a wall.. go one step back and then throw..

Also, if everything is still working correctly, units take equal stun damage when they take normal damage. If you've badly wounded an alien it only takes a bit of stun damage to push it over the edge, but an unharmed alien will have pretty good stun resistance.

That said, stun batons are extremely effective (stun) weapons - couple them with combat shields and they're almost better than actual firearms in many situations.

Also, if everything is still working correctly, units take equal stun damage when they take normal damage. If you've badly wounded an alien it only takes a bit of stun damage to push it over the edge, but an unharmed alien will have pretty good stun resistance.

That said, stun batons are extremely effective (stun) weapons - couple them with combat shields and they're almost better than actual firearms in many situations.

Chris, I have never seen this happen. Blue stun damage numbers have never come up when I've shot a target with anything but explosives. I've also never directly noticed damaged targets taking longer to stun.

For example, I've put a 140 damage into an alien leader with a laser carbine. Then, I had a shield whack the leader with a stun baton twice, doing around 80 stun damage, threw in an electroshock grenade that did 30ish stun damage, and dropped in a stun gas grenade. The very next turn I whacked the leader a stun baton at least once, and the leader didn't pass out until I added another shock grenade.

One moment!.. If an alien got 100 hp, and i hit it with rifles to 90.. then 10 stun damage would be enough?

Theoretically, yes. It used to work that way but it wouldn't surprise me if it was accidentally broken during development and nobody noticed. It's not a massive issue anyway; I guess it's something for the X:CE guys to look at if they're interested.

It doesn't seem to work this way (at least in the current 1.5 beta). Looks like normal damage and stun damage use separate health bars.

However stun batons are still very effective in close combat (at least compared to ballistic and laser short-ranged weapons).

By the way, congratulations on a great X-Com remake, Chris!

It is a very good game compared to original X-Com 1, 2, 3, UFO Afterlight, Aftershock and Aftemath, JA 2 and Firaxis XCOM. You did exceptionally well for your first project and I have a lot of fun going through my first Veteran run =)