Game Progression

Does the game (community edition or regular) progress based on research committed or on time elapsed in game?

ive played an indie version of xcom based on the the quake 2 engine and its primary triggers where research based for difficulty and creature progression. if its time based, im going to feel a bit of pressure because im trying to organize everything before progressing.

In the standard game, the config files are in {INSTALLDIR}/assets.

In CE, they're in {INSTALLDIR}/assets/mods/{MODNAME} and the various versions of each file get merged, which makes things a little more complicated to get started with, but easier in the long run.

The specific settings you would be interested in are in the file gameconfig.xml. Just use notepad or another plain text editor to make your changes. There are comments on what each setting does and you'll be looking for things affecting the "ticker".

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, you can only make the ticker respond to time passing and to UFO activity (based on a craft's mission and how long it's on the map), not to any action taken by the player, such as completing research projects.

• 2 weeks later...

<!-- DIFFICULTY MULTIPLIERS -->

<!-- The values for each are multiplied by these numbers -->

<alienTickerSpeedEasy value="0.8" />

<alienTickerSpeedNormal value="0.9" />

<alienTickerSpeedVeteran value="0.9" />

<alienTickerSpeedSuperhuman value="1.0" />

so this right here right?

sorry the site had malware trigger by google for a while, and i couldnt access the site.

been looking through the config files, tehre is a LOT of good stuff in here for me to adjust my game as id like to play here. some of the descirptions for geoscape items (enemy advancements detections exc) are a bit confusing though. does anyone have a detailed guide on what everything in the Config files do? the comments are good, i just.. .could use a bit more explaining. thats all.

alright cool. im really liking how modable this all seems. do we have any weapons mods ? (i really wana add a Sub machine gun like an uzi or a P-90 for my sheild units) Id also like to note weapons are pure Teir up from 1 (balistic) to Tier 4 (mag), i kinda wish they followed a more logical format. like, balistics being balanced, but weak on damage, lasers being real accurate, plasma being short range and powerful. i have dug around and found information for a flamethrower!? but i never unlocked it while i played....

sorry just random jumbling right now.

Edited by CyrusBlack

alright cool. im really liking how modable this all seems. do we have any weapons mods ? (i really wana add a Sub machine gun like an uzi or a P-90 for my sheild units) Id also like to note weapons are pure Teir up from 1 (balistic) to Tier 4 (mag), i kinda wish they followed a more logical format. like, balistics being balanced, but weak on damage, lasers being real accurate, plasma being short range and powerful. i have dug around and found information for a flamethrower!? but i never unlocked it while i played....

sorry just random jumbling right now.

You need to check mods for that ideas.. vanilla game is very linear and more simple.

i have modified the config file (asssets -> config) but the changes i have made (and they have been saved) dont seem to be taking effect. i need to do research on how to do this correctly. i lack the ability to do graphical items, but i can always clone an existing item and then alter its stats. i think. but. i have a feeling if i clone add an item into the system, it wont be accessable or something. i have a feelin there is more inter dependent material

Edited by CyrusBlack