Is it possible to edit the final map?

Reactorcore

I think the final mission is too short, I envisioned it being a long corridor marathon with lots of aliens to rip and tear through, not the short corridor + a few rooms as it is now. I want my dudes to run out of ammo by the time they get to the praetor.

Is it possible to edit the final mission map to be longer/differently layed out?

Is it possible to remove the trigger for reaper spawn spam?

I want to make a long corridor with about 40-80 aliens to fight through, no reaper swarm. Just a long epic obstacle course. Is it possible?

Although I've never looked at it in any detail, it can be loaded in the map editor so I assume it is possible to edit as normal. It has some special coding for spawn points compared with other map types but so far as I can tell these can be moved/changed.

Don't know about the reaper spawn spam, though. I think it might be possible to remove this by editing the props to which this is tied (I think it's tied to props anyway; I've never actually looked at this but have noticed a variable which would seem to do it).

For what it's worth, it would also (I assume) be possible to randomise the final mission by having multiple maps which can be selected from.

Although I've never looked at it in any detail, it can be loaded in the map editor so I assume it is possible to edit as normal. It has some special coding for spawn points compared with other map types but so far as I can tell these can be moved/changed.

Don't know about the reaper spawn spam, though. I think it might be possible to remove this by editing the props to which this is tied (I think it's tied to props anyway; I've never actually looked at this but have noticed a variable which would seem to do it).

For what it's worth, it would also (I assume) be possible to randomise the final mission by having multiple maps which can be selected from.

Sounds promising. I just hope that the final mission map doesn't have a hard-coded requirement for these three elements to exist:

-Final door

-Reaper spawn tiles

-Door reactors

As in, if I leave them out, the game will crash due to a missing reference or something like that. I hope this is not the case.

Even if it is, I think I might be able to work around it by making a closed off section on the map, where the door, reactors and a single reaper spawn tile (preferably with a prop on top of that will prevent the reaper from spawning) are put into a shame corner, away from view.

I noticed that there was a mapping discussion section just now (I am blind lol) and that it has a mapping guidelines place, so I'll go have a study there. Considering you and Skitso made over fifty million maps, it seems like its not so hard to do.

Would there be anything I should watch out for, as an advice from an experienced mapper?

Honestly, I'd recommend spending some time making some regular maps before trying to do anything with the final mission map. I learned a lot over the course of my mapping work and there's quite a few issues with the first maps I made (i.e. the random farm maps) that now I wouldn't make. So spending some time learning the ropes will make your final product better, if you have the patience. (Also, it might mean we end up with more maps to play with if you produce anything you want to release!)

Regarding the tools, the map editor is fairly simple to use and you'll probably pick that up quickly but the submap editor is more complex and will require some playing around with before you get a handle on it I think. And you'll need to use the submap editor as there won't be a sufficient range of submaps for the final mission for you to piece together something from them. It's difficult to explain how to use the submap editor effectively, although the tutorial stickied on the mapping subforum is a good place to start.

In the mean time, I might have a look at the final mission stuff and see if I can work out what is possible based on what you're wanting to do.