Melee Attack - What is it?

ik1ne

Maybe, you've read the title and now asking me "Don't you know what stun batons do?".

Well.... I'm not talking about those shocking sticks. It's just simple - just zap an alien, and watch it fall to ground.

What I'm saying is, default melee action which is bound to 'M' by default keyboard settings.

I've seen this melee actions do those things:

1. It costs little TU(about 3~4 with maximum TU of 60~70) to activate.

2. If activated and there's unbroken window in front of that soldier, that window will break.

3. When my shield soldier used melee against alien, it sometimes did a little damage and stun damage.

However, there seem to be some problems with this:

1. Melee action has no animation. The soldier performing melee just blinks for several frames... and that's all.

2. You can do melee attack when it's totally meaningless. For example, you can do melee attack with no enemy in front of you, or against broken window.

This problem gets me annoyed with its just-blink animation, making me to do several melee action by mistake in front of single window.

3. When using it against aliens, it sometimes do a little mixed damage. But mostly, it does nothing, regardless of where i'm pointing with mouse cursor(of course target alien is in front of the soldier, with 0 tile distance).

If it's just a missed melee action, that's ok - but there was no "MISS" marking, and I think that's problem.

Anyway, regardless of I'm mistaken or not, Thanks for reading!:)

Melee does 10 normal damage and 10 stun damage. When an alien has armour, it usually blocks all the damage. I think it is a bug that the game never shows "RESISTED" when melee damage is resisted.

Melee is always supposed to use 10 TUs.

Melee is supposed to break windows. That allows you to throw grenades through windows, vault through them, and shoot without hitting the glass.

You can melee random props. Theoretically you should be able to smash down a wall if you melee'd it dozens/hundreds of times.

Yes, it is weird that there is no animation. I feel like the grenade throw animation should be displayed, at the least.

We actually meant to remove this from the game for release - that's why it's not mentioned anywhere.

Has melee been changed in V1.5 Stable 4? Prior to 1.5, melee inflicted damage with every attempt. This was quite satisfying when I surround the last stubborn alien with a few Xenonauts and bashed it to bits. (Hiss all you want, lizard boy, you ain't regenerating ANY flesh this time HAHAHAHAHAH!) However, with V1.5, melee often does no damage at all. I estimate that perhaps one out of six or seven attempts causes damage.

Guilty as charged :D What do you suggest?

(The only mods I have are Skitso's Maps, Instant Grenades, and Random UFOs)

Why dont u check check my mod or XNT at forum sections?.. they both got melee creatures and much more.. X-Division will have new version soon i hope.