Update on Future Projects

Chris

The Christmas holidays are now done and we're back to work. Our first priority is launching Xenonauts V1.5, but once that is out we will be back at work full-time on our future projects. It's been a while since I posted up an update on how they are progressing, so I figured now would be a good time to do it.

General:

We're seeking feedback and suggestions for our methods of community interaction for our upcoming games. Basically, we want to make it as easy as possible for you to help us. If you've got any thoughts, here's the thread: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/12602-Community-Issues-to-Consider

Small Game:

This game uses our own engine and was originally designed for both PC and tablet. It's gone through a lot of iterations from everything from a space RPG to a hard sci-fi FTL and now eventually settled on more of a fighter / bomber squadron control game.

After a bit of thought, I've decided to fork this game into two games. The art and setting and working title are being forked into a new tablet-only game that is not in development at this point. I've got some nice ideas gestating for it and perhaps we'll bash up a prototype at some point, but right now they have been parked up and the garage shuttered.

The current game mechanics are getting rebooted into a PC-only game. I like the idea of a squadron management game, but there were too many units to control for a tablet screen and it also limited the size of the battlefield. It didn't seem like a good idea to compromise the design of the game in order to support tablets.

We only made that decision a few days ago, so I'll still mulling over the consequences and how we use this newfound freedom to expand the game. We might release our current prototype for people to play with at some point so we can solicit suggestions, but don't hold me to that!

Big Game: Pathfinders

I've posted up some basic info on our next game on the forums here, including the working title: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/12601-Our-Next-Big-Game-Pathfinders-%28Working-Title%29

We've done quite a bit of prototyping over the past six months and have a fairly good idea now of what works and what does not work. We're currently trying to code in some of the more advanced features for combat playtesting before we chuck away all our code and start development for real.

We're also working on some of the art and trying to figure out what works best with Unity, particularly with regards to animation and experimenting with shaders that we might use in the final art style. As we're used to working in 2D rather than 3D there's been quite a lot of adjustment required.

I'm not sure we'll ever release screenshots or videos of our prototype, but I'm hoping in the next few months we'll settle on an art style and be confident enough of the mechanics that we can get a website up and a trailer done, then formally announce the project. I'm looking forward to this; I can only sketch a rough outline of the game with these posts and the website will be the first time you can really get a "feel" for the game.

I don't have an exact timeframe right now, but I am flicking through website themes right now. Some time in the next four to eight weeks, maybe?

• 1 month later...