After playing 2 Hours the Difficulty goes to "Bwahaha"-Mode (Normal = Hard now?)

Hey.

Enjoying the Community Edition of Xenonauts, except to that point where i should play 200% perfectly to out-tech the Aliens... Uhm, but i dont want to play in 'only perfect moves allowed'-Mode. How comes? Because i want fun, playing on Normal (Easy is... uhm... too easy. Normal should be right for me) and going further down in technology.

But it seems that, the more i advance in tech (just science, not building really expensive stuff), having a 2cond good Base the difficulty grows so extreme that i dont know how to... react. I mean, what should i do if i BARELY made Wolf Armor but the next thing is that a City is sieged and my men got mowed down in an attemt to rescue the city!

Also a 100% Resolve of a Flight-Fight gone 0% for me! I mean W T F! W T F! W T F?! I dont want to play every single Air-Fight! I know how to win but when i read 100% Victory it should 100% Victory, not 99,99, 90 oder that. It should be 100% without any questioning!

Also i encountered 8 of those Robots (glad they only killed 2 of my men) till to the point the 2 freaking flying saucer things come and MOWING MY FREAKIN' MEN DOWN! I mean WHAT THE F...?! Yeah... i know how to play a pretty perfect game but thats not the fun, i want just to relax a bit and not giving 110% of my attention to out-play over-teched Aliens while iam just at the point where i COULD build lasers, not to mention i barely have enough Alloys to build 3 Laser-Weapons!

Oh, did i forget to mention that after i had 2 foxtrotts only medium fighter coming down? And how they shoot down every second 2-Squadron, the fact that i need to send 3 of them if i dont want to fight by myself? Also the first Airplanes ar on 0%-Victory with 2-Squad (dafuq?! I can win with 2 of them against a Medium Fighter with ease! Why not at least 80% auto-resolve?)

And exactly at this point again, always when i dont want to put 100% effort to a game that should be fun to play while relaxing, i cant play it anymore... Its horrible bad. Not a bad game, but if i want relax and not doing it after 'Plan A-The perfect plan to have exactly what you need, when you need it!' than its bad. If i do it with Plan-A its good. But then i also can play iron mode on hard... wow... No need to play a 'Relax'-Session because it seems that there is no relaxing possible in Xenonauts.

Or is it a "Bug" or something? Having overpowered aliens after 1 1/2 to 2 Hours Gametime? (Only 2 Month-In-Game Time) or is the hard the new normal? Because it seems that normal = hard, easy = normal. Playing at difficulty hard upwards means that you dont do any mistakes because every mistake you do on hard and above can lead you to a full loose...

Have nice holidays and, so we say in german "slide well" (Happy New Year) ^^

PS: Now i restart the game, put it on hard and kick the aliens arses! To Hell with them, now, as again in german "i tasted blood"! :P

Stay crunchy.

Easy is... uhm... too easy. Normal should be right for me

From the rest of the text, it looks like this might be an incorrect assumption on your part. The difficulty is not defined just by the first month.

Also a 100% Resolve of a Flight-Fight gone 0% for me! I mean W T F! W T F! W T F?! I dont want to play every single Air-Fight! I know how to win but when i read 100% Victory it should 100% Victory, not 99,99, 90 oder that. It should be 100% without any questioning!

Victory is defined as shooting the UFO down.

or is the hard the new normal? Because it seems that normal = hard, easy = normal.

No, the point is that easy is the new normal nowadays, and Xenonauts is a bit old-fashioned in this regard (try a game from 80's to know what normal used to mean). This game won't let you magically win after just a pretense of effort. Moreover, failure is actually part of the expected experience.

So I suggest you play at Easy if you want an easy play, which appears to be the case. X:CE shouldn't make Easy any harder.

Playing at difficulty hard upwards means that you dont do any mistakes because every mistake you do on hard and above can lead you to a full loose...

Actually insane is still way too easy for some people.

Edited by llunak

I found the ce much harder when i jumped over, it seems the AI learned some devious tricks (ground and air combat), or maybe i just need to learn some more :P

Air combat is a bit harder on higher difficulties (if "harder" means that UFOs actually have any intelligence whatsoever, unlike the totally blank UFOs in the base game).

I'm not aware of any changes to ground combat difficulty though (not yet, anyway), do you have any specific scenarios in mind?

Air combat is a bit harder on higher difficulties (if "harder" means that UFOs actually have any intelligence whatsoever, unlike the totally blank UFOs in the base game).

I'm not aware of any changes to ground combat difficulty though (not yet, anyway), do you have any specific scenarios in mind?

The caesans at least got really good at hiding, and generally seemed really accurate, compared to my starting dozen who couldnt hit the larger side of a barn... Though the latter may just be RNG trolling.

Heyho!

So, i played all X-Com Games so far =) I beat all of them of course. Final though some of you may be right, Xenonauts isnt a game for relaxing ^^ Re-Playing it actually on Hard again and its lot easyer now (because i pay full attention) *sigh* Yeah, seems i need to play something else for relaxing *G*

Sorry for swearing :) Thought ill do more american english :> where fu** is a filler :P

But i didnt say that this game is bad :) Maybe i misread a bit but i just want to say it in case someone thoughts that i meant this game was/is bad. NO IT ISNT! Its a great game, not for relaxing though :P

Stay crunchy.

Actually i find insane ironman somewhat relaxing. After my veteran game which was rather too easy and boring (just imagine - i was not able to spend all my money, too huge income. I made almost all downed alien's ships). There is no joy in such play. No fun and no cookies!!!

Okay II is REALLY punishing, but all you need to relax is... relax and don't speed up things.

Hard targets gives you bigger rewards.

All you need is "Don't worry and be happy".

Actually i think that xenonauts need another difficulty... called "nightmare"?

I mean in previous settings aliens only test you. They increase their efforts to take you down each month. They actually play with you rather than invade earth. it's too boring. And too stupid.

What i really really want is invasion mode. Yep, it shouldn't give you all top-tier ships at start without low-tiers. Aliens should use combined forces. Like at start you may see 3-4 scouts and maximum 1 carrier or bomber/carrier/whatever. They should act like invasion forces and not like beggars. Each month aliens should use top-tier ships more often as they explore earth and try to bomb you into the ground.

Aliens should use all their ground weaponry from the game start.

But to allow player to do something starting money should be bigger, and player should be allowed to have at least 3 prebuild bases at start. Goverments gave them to Xenonauts because of "An iternational aggreement".

At least if you read the lyrics, supplied with this game, you'll find this more close to that text. This would be invasion and not beggar run. This would be challenge.

But i think that player should research weapons and other stuff sequentialy. Wolf need jackal. Maradeur needs Corsair. An so on.

Heyho.

I find the Idea pretty good but as a "Special Force" the X-Com seems so extremely underequipped from the Start that a friend of me laughed hard saying "Oh my god, theyre running into Aliens with Shirts and Jeans! Bwahahaha". I mean, the Wolf-Armor or even any Kind of Armor (Swat-Armor, Bomb-Defusing-Armor etc. etc.) was possible in the 80s, or am i wrong?

Maybe a alternate Timeline would be great with the IDZ (Infanterie der Zukunft = Infantery of the Future) Equipment at the start, advancing th... oh... hm... I should stop now ^^

Atm iam playing the game again on normal with a mod, pretty funny again. Lets see if i will get my achievement of beating the game this time ^^

Stay crunchy.

I bought the game expecting it to be hard, as promised, and boy it has not let me down! I started with iron man veteran bout three weeks ago, and finally had to relent, and start a play through with save game enabled (combat fatigue). I never had any real problems with ground combat, that part of the game I understood just fine right from the start - air combat took some work to learn, but I find it the most relaxing part of the game now - thoroughly enjoyable. It is the economy, base management and overall geoscape strategy, that has been the biggest challenge. I was promised hard, and I got hard.