More Dakka mod idea

Part time commy

Do you think it's silly how little your soldiers gets to shoot at the aliens? Wouldn't it make more sens to use your superior firepower to it's full extent and making those xenos keep their head downs while you have someone flanking them or until they just get tired bite the bullet.

Increasing the dynamism of combats and giving more options to the player than rolling the dice is what this mod aims to do. Possibly shortening the lenght of a ground mission making it less of a hassle when you have to chain them.

This would be achieved with the following changes for starter:

1. Separate the shooting from the TU to use it's own pool of tokens but have the amount of TU spent affect your accuracy. Increasing the amount of shots fired but decreasing their accuracy depending on the movement.
  2. Modify the way accuracy works and bullet pathing is calculated to have more reliable and realistic trajectory.
  3. Change the line of sight to be able to react better to incomming treats.
  4. Slightly modify cover and supression to increase reliance on those and flanking.
  5. Possibly change the AI behaviors to account for these things.

If you have other idea to add that goes in the same line, please share, i am eager to know.

Edited by Part time commy

That certainly would mean that I can use burst fire more often, though I get the feeling that it would break the balance a bit, unless Xeno's could do the same thing...

And if they could, in short, we'd be screwed, Imagine an andron that can walk out from cover, and then afterwords, launch his plasma cannon round into half your team, instead of lumbering menacingly towards them and glaring at them, as he ready's his cannon?

We'd be boned, and that's if the game was balanced for it.

Both sides should be able to do it but to different extent depending on the alien race and it's behaviors. Accuracy decreases with movement so you can't just run up to someone and have full accuracy. Increased view range would make you able to react to the enemy before it's too late. There would be a good round of balance to make things fall together in the end.

It would encourage more dynamic firefights, suppression and movement. It makes the game less RNG dependant and gives more control to the player.

EDIT: I edited the OP because i though it was pretty terrible.

Edited by Part time commy

Well that's something I would have to account for it's not thing impossible considering we can have access to the source code. I'd put it with changing the way projectile pathing is calculated, plus firing such a big weapon after mouvement would have a huge accuracy penalty.

I had another idea, shooting could decrease TU but not cost TU, meaning you can fire at full accuracy but not run after it. Sure the complex systems starts piling up but that's the first draft. If anyone had a more intuitive idea i'd be pleased to hear it.

I'd have to think more about it, but as it stands the system right now works fine, with the higher tier soldiers you can get a decent accuracy shot off and still move a little bit.

One thing I'd like to see though is perhaps some manufactured nightvision specs for night ops...

Make em cost as much as you want, but those flares get a little annoying after a bit.

We modders need tons of things.. if u could figure out and became an active coder I got a wish list for u :).

There are some little points hard-coded which prevents modders making huge steps to improve game. Mostly about ufo spawning and their missions to make more harder late game..

Ofcourse it's up to u..

Quick question for modders, i tried a change to the FoV and View range of the soldiers with random values to see if it updates but it never seems to change anything. Here's the code :

<?xml version="1.0" ?><Config><LOS>	<LOSAngle MODMERGE="replace" >180</LOSAngle>	<DefaultViewRange MODMERGE="replace" >50</DefaultViewRange></LOS></Config>

I tried different combination of ModMerge, even in LOS but it never seems to work. What am i doing wrong?

I placed this config.xml in a file with the name of my mod with the modfile.xml.

Thanks in advance.