[v1.09 Ground Combat] - A Few Bugs

How's it going? I've decided to put together some ground combat bugs instead of posting several mini-threads for each one.

1. [v1.09 Ground Combat (Sound)] - No Footsteps Sound While Walking/Running On A Farm Wooden Floor

No footsteps sound is heard if your soldiers tread on this planked wooden floor located in the farmlands (see the screenshot).

Wooden Floor.jpg

2. [v1.09 Ground Combat] - Infinite Ammo Exploit

If you put a depleted (or half empty) weapon/used medpack/programmed C-4 explosive charge into your soldier's inventory (backpack or belt), save your progress and then load this map, that weapon/medpack/C-4 charge will be now reloaded/full/deactivated. This doesn't happen if you keep these objects in your hand slots.

3. [v1.09 Ground Combat] - Disappearing Items From Hand Slots

If you put any ammo clip (or rocket) in your right hand slot (primary weapon) and then wield any other item (pistol, combat shield, medpack, grenade, another magazine, etc) in your left hand slot (secondary weapon), this second object from your left hand will disappear when closing the inventory window. However, this fact doesn't happen if you do it vice versa, that is, you can hold in your right hand a pistol or anything (except for magazines) while holding a gun clip in your left hand. Once you have placed a magazine in your primary weapon slot, you can move any single-handed item from your inventory or laying on the ground to the secondary weapon slot at a cost of 0 TUs (!). Furthermore, if your primary weapon slot is empty and you put a magazine into the secondary weapon slot, it'll vanish.

Magazine Bug.jpg

***SPOILER: DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING IF YOU HAVE JUST STARTED PLAYING "XENONAUTS"***

And a last question. Do you have any plans to change the inventory artwork for the Andron corpse? It looks the same as the Light Drone wreckage. That makes sense since both units are mechs or robots but the current inventory artwork for the Andron corpse doesn't reflect the body lying on the ground combat map.

Andron Corpse.jpg

Best Regards

Wooden Floor.jpg

Magazine Bug.jpg

Andron Corpse.jpg

577e7d2fb0674_WoodenFloor.thumb.jpg.832d

577e7d2fbab8e_MagazineBug.thumb.jpg.0946

577e7d2fc5939_AndronCorpse.thumb.jpg.956

Edited by XenoneX

4. [v1.09 Ground Combat] - The Game Crashes After A Building Is Demolished

If you demolish a building with C4 charges (or any powerful explosive), the game will crash when your soldiers face the ruins or move around the map (if they're already looking at the building).

Collapsed Building.jpg

Here's a savegame showing this situation. Just click the end of turn button and see how the barn crumbles. Make one of the soldiers face the building or perform some movement and the game will crash.

[ATTACH]5803[/ATTACH]

Collapsed Building.jpg

Demolition.sav

577e7d2fc9aaf_CollapsedBuilding.thumb.jp

Demolition.sav

5. [v1.09 Ground Combat (Sound)] - Wrong Burst Sound Effect When One Or Two Bullets Are Shot

When there are two or just one bullet (or charges for beam weapons) left in your magazine and you fire them in automatic mode (burst), you can still hear the usual burst sound effect for three shots.

Edited by XenoneX

Some of these are already fixed in the latest version - including the most problematic bug from the list, which is number 4.

Sadly we're not planning to update the art for the broken Androns or Light Drones because the artist who was doing the corpse art left the team for a new job before he was able to finish his work.

Thank you, Chris. I purchased the game on GOG.com and unfortunately I have no access to the last experimental builds as the Steam users do. I'll be submitting my last batch of bugs, though (maybe you've already fixed up some of them but better safe than sorry). ;)

Bugs regarding corpses:

6. [v1.09 Ground Combat] - Alien Blood Displayed When An Alien Robotic Unit Is Blown Up

If you blow up a robotic unit (the unit itself or its wreckage), you will get the typical alien spill for organic or living units. This is an inventory-only issue (for the ground combat map, the burnt debris are displayed correctly).

Before&After.jpg

7. [v1.09 Ground Combat] - Duplication of Corpses

a) If you try to put a body into your primary weapon slot (grab it with your hands), you won't be able to do it (except for destroyed corpses). However, that corpse will be duplicated after that try (move it again and you'll get a copy of it). In this way, you can clone bodies indefinitely.

Duplicating Corpses.jpg

b) On the other hand, you can place a destroyed alien or human corpse in your primary weapon slot. Afterwards, if you take a second spill in your secondary weapon slot, those remains will be wielded as a two-handed gun (!) and another bloody spill is stored in your backpack, that is, you'll get a third new spill (therefore duplicating again the number of corpses).

Duplicating Destroyed Corpses.jpg

c) If otherwise you place a destroyed item in your primary weapon slot and then put a destroyed corpse into the secondary weapon slot, you will start filling your belt and then your backpack with similar destroyed items as you put in and take out that spill from your secondary weapon slot.

Duplicating Destroyed Items.jpg

d) Moreover, bug #3 can be reproduced by placing either a destroyed corpse or item (instead of a gun clip or rocket) in your primary weapon slot.

Before&After.jpg

Duplicating Corpses.jpg

Duplicating Destroyed Corpses.jpg

Duplicating Destroyed Items.jpg

577e7d30d76aa_BeforeAfter.jpg.e513b4e6c8

577e7d30e1cbc_DuplicatingCorpses.thumb.j

577e7d30e6faf_DuplicatingDestroyedCorpse

577e7d30eb5b0_DuplicatingDestroyedItems.

9. [v1.09 Ground Combat] - Displaced Images of Thrown Grenades and Flares

If you throw a frag grenade or flare onto a rooftop, the image goes down to the ground (level zero). Nevertheless, the effect(s) (explosion, smoke, fire, light, etc) will correctly take place in the intended spot (roof). This bug doesn't happen with the C4 charge (see picture 1: Rooftop) or when the grenade is tossed on the same floor (eg the second floor of a building). I don't know whether this bug occurs with more advanced explosives.

Rooftop:

Rooftop.jpg

Lower Floor:

Lower Floor.jpg

Rooftop.jpg

Lower Floor.jpg

Rooftop.thumb.jpg.0587ef72360308f8cadbe2

577e7d310c963_LowerFloor.thumb.jpg.b36fa

10. [v1.09 Ground Combat] - Can't move items if they overlap themselves

When you try to move an item in your backpack or on the ground (inventory layout), you won't be able to put that item in a new position overlapping its original place. This issue is solved for the soldier equipment screen (geospace).

Inventory Window:

Moving Items (Inventory).jpg

Soldier Equipment Screen:

Moving Items (Soldier Equipment Screen).jpg

Moving Items (Inventory).jpg

Moving Items (Soldier Equipment Screen).jpg

577e7d3117a80_MovingItems(Inventory).thu

577e7d311d9ff_MovingItems(SoldierEquipme

Edited by XenoneX

13. [v1.09 Ground Combat] - TUs costs for inventory moves

This is a weird bug. I don't know how to reproduce this issue so I'll try to describe it briefly:

Moving an object from the backpack to the ground may cost you either 4 or 0 TUs. At first, I thought it was due to the size of the item but this happens for the same kind of object (gun clip, grenade, etc): dropping the same item from your backpack sometimes costs 4 TUs and other times 0 TUs. To sum up (H = Hand slot [barehanded], B = Belt, BP = Backpack, G = Ground):

H <---> H : 0 TUs

H ---> G : 0 TUs / G ---> H : 12 TUs

H ---> B : 4 TUs / B ---> H : 12 TUs

H ---> BP : 4 TUs / BP ---> H : 12 TUs

B <---> BP : 4 TUs

B ---> G : 0 TUs / G ---> B : 4 TUs

BP ---> G : 0 or 4 TUs / G ---> BP : 4 or 8 TUs

Weapon Reloading: depends on the soldier's TUs, the location of the gun clip and the sort of weapon (?)

Weapon Unloading: 0 TUs

EDIT: To check this bug, just fill a soldier's backpack with different types of grenades, gun clips, rockets, medpack, etc and try moving items to the ground in order to see the divergence in the TUs costs.

Edited by XenoneX

15. [v1.09 Ground Combat] - Walking in the air

If you blow up a portion of the floor (level >= 2) in a building or a catwalk, your soldiers (and anyone, I guess) will still be able to walk along that platform even though it's no longer there.

Building (second floor):

Invisible Floor.jpg

Catwalk:

Invisible Catwalk.jpg

Invisible Floor.jpg

Invisible Catwalk.jpg

577e7d319f775_InvisibleFloor.thumb.jpg.7

577e7d31a580b_InvisibleCatwalk.thumb.jpg

Edited by XenoneX

• 3 weeks later...
13. [v1.09 Ground Combat] - TUs costs for inventory moves

I can perhaps shed a bit of light on this. I'm typically bringing a big load of various grenades and ammunition and spending turn 1 on dropping them off in the dropship, so I've also encountered this discrepancy pretty often. The reason I do this is to have reserves if I run out of anything during the mission, I'm never again picking up alien weapons to fire at tiny hit rate because I run out of ammo.

Grenades will normally cost 4 TUs to drop to the ground from the backpack, but as soon as you drop any grenade of a type from the belt, dropping others of that kind from the backpack in the same turn is free. I *think* that any TU costs incurred from dropping from the backpack will be refunded if you drop any grenade of the same type from the belt as well.

I have not noticed a similar bug for dropping ammunition, but I normally keep a smaller stash of that than grenades, so it fits in either only the belt or only the backpack, so it could be working the same way still.

-----------

As an aside, I don't see why it takes 12 TUs to draw any weapon from the backpack, but only 4 TUs to put it back in. Presumably the time would be spent getting the backpack off and accessing it, and that would be pretty much the same for both operations. I'd even argue it might take longer to stuff a sniper rifle into the backpack than to pull it out, considering that to make room it takes a bit of time jostling around the 8 grenades which are already in there, without accidentally knocking off any pins...

It's mostly because any kind of abuse of the system happens when you equip weapons. Shuffling stuff around in your inventory /dropping doesn't give you any benefit so that's cheap, but putting a new weapon in your hands gives you a lot more tactical options and so has to be more expensive.