[v1.52 Modular Mod System] Some Map Assets Not Loading

I'm going to post this in the XCE bug forum too, but I found it while running v1.52 so thought I should post it here.

I've been trying to make my random map packs compatible with the mod loading system so they can be made available on Steam. I've done the desert and the arctic one and these appear to work fine. However, when trying to make the farm one work, most of the submaps don't load and I can't fathom out why.

So far as I can tell, it's not an error with how the files have been set up. Indeed, there shouldn't need to be any changes made as it uses all custom assets so the game just needs to load them up. This is what has happened in the other two map packs and, as I say, it works with some of the submaps in the farm pack too.

The modinfo log file doesn't indicate anything useful. Indeed, it only displays output for the successfully loaded submaps and doesn't indicate anything about the others at all. It's as if it's simply not acknowledging that they need to be loaded. To be sure, I've checked the submaps that aren't loading against ones that are (in the farm map pack and others) and can't see any differences that would cause the issue.

Where I've gotten to is it being related either to folder names, or folder order or something like that. If I swap around the name of two submap folders so that one that previously wasn't loading is swapped with one that was, the game will load the previously not working submaps but not the ones that were working. E.g.:

RMP_Farm_Field loads fine. RMP_Farm_HeyField does not. If I change the folder names so that the hey field submaps are contained in the RMP_Farm_Field folder and the field submaps are in the RMP_Farm_HeyField folder then the hey field submaps load while the field ones don't.

This means it's not to do with the submap files (otherwise they still wouldn't work when reversed).

Some folder names work while some do not. For example:

The folder name RMP_Farm_XBuilding did not load when I tried it, but RMP_Farm_BuildingX did.

But other folders in the same layer group (i.e. ground, walls, props and buildings) also seem to make a difference. For example:

Two folders in the same layer group, RMP_Farm_Open and RMP_Farm_BuildingX, work fine when they are the only folders in the "ground" layer group. So too do RMP_Farm_Building and RMP_Farm_Field when they are the only folders in the group. However, put them all together in the same time and only the latter pair work while the former pair don't.

So the folder names seem to matter, but I can't produce anything more useful than this. Maybe it is enough to have a look at the code and figure out the problem, though?

Ok, here's the mod: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kl79f2nk78bwym/Random%20Map%20Pack%20-%20Farm%20Edition.zip?dl=0

I've set it up to go through a few tests that I'll describe below. To set it up:

- Unpack to assets/mods

- Remove all farm maps from assets/maps/farm (this is so the only farm map that can be loaded is the 'test' map that I've packaged as part of the mod).

All tests are run through the gc editor building using the quickbattle function.

1) Just load up a game. If everything was working properly, there would be four areas of ground on the map - a plowed/cabbage field, a hay field, a grassy area and a concreted/graveled area. However, this won't be the case. Instead, only the stoney ground and plowed/cabbage field will load and the other two submaps won't. Here's a screenshot:

Xenonauts_gc_editor 2014-11-05 21-25-39-461.jpg

2) Go to the "test" map file packed with the mod (in maps/farm) and open it. Change the RMP_Farm_Field to RMP_Farm_Open and chance RMP_Farm_Building to RMP_Farm_HeyField. This changes the two submaps which loaded before to submaps that wouldn't load. Run the game again. This time, none of the submaps should load (as expected based on the first test).

3) To the maps/farm/ground folder in the mod. Remove the RMP_Farm_Field and RMP_Farm_Building folders. Load the game. All the submaps will work fine - there will be two grassy ones and two hay field ones. Note that these were the two submap types which didn't load in tests (1) or (2):

Xenonauts_gc_editor 2014-11-05 21-32-57-647.jpg

4) Return the two folders that were removed in test (3) and return the 'test' map file to it's original state. Then go to maps/farm/ground again and swap the folder names so that RMP_Farm_Field and RMP_Farm_HeyField are swapped and RMP_Farm_Building and RMP_Farm_Open are swapped. Load up the game. This time, the same two submaps as loaded in test (1) will load, but they will be open/hay rather than building/field:

Xenonauts_gc_editor 2014-11-05 21-38-14-346.jpg

Hope this is useful. If you want to play around with proper maps rather than the test one for whatever reason, I've put them all in maps/storage. If you copy them across to maps/farm they will enter circulation.

Xenonauts_gc_editor 2014-11-05 21-25-39-461.jpg

Xenonauts_gc_editor 2014-11-05 21-32-57-647.jpg

Xenonauts_gc_editor 2014-11-05 21-38-14-346.jpg

577e7d2fee35a_Xenonauts_gc_editor2014-11

577e7d2ff2c0d_Xenonauts_gc_editor2014-11

577e7d3003895_Xenonauts_gc_editor2014-11

Edited by kabill

This is really odd, but after some testing I've come to the conclusion it's only about files naming. If you put all the content of maps/ (both folders and files) in lowercase, everything just works fine.

Proof: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54854483/Random%20Map%20Pack%20-%20Farm%20Edition.zip

This is weird, considering that the bundled map names contain both upper and lower case letters. Also, if you move the (original, not the lowercased ones) mod files into the assets/ folder everything just works fine..

• 3 weeks later...