X-DIVISION New Mod, New Ideas, New Disscussions

drages

also a note on stunning. It actually takes a lot of current to seriously impair a human and we can assume the aliens are similar in that sense. concussion is very effective since it work on any individual not wearing specialized earplugs and a helmet. also shock should be taken into account, not electrical shock but shock from blood loss or fear. if someone is bleeding heavily they will pass out well before they die. in most cases.

No, but without communications, the mindless pawns (I.E.: everyone except officers/leaders) will be less effective.

Prometheus is right in one thing, tho... the aliens that were in a downed UFO have their hours counted according to the game's lore.

That brings me to another suggestion that I doubt it can be coded, but would be cool: UFO crashes never despawn, instead, on the next wave there will be a rescue mission to retrieve them and their equipment and follow the rescued UFO's mission. Also, UFO crashsites damage relations slowly while active.

No, but without communications, the mindless pawns (I.E.: everyone except officers/leaders) will be less effective.

Prometheus is right in one thing, tho... the aliens that were in a downed UFO have their hours counted according to the game's lore.

That brings me to another suggestion that I doubt it can be coded, but would be cool: UFO crashes never despawn, instead, on the next wave there will be a rescue mission to retrieve them and their equipment and follow the rescued UFO's mission. Also, UFO crashsites damage relations slowly while active.

perhaps the aliens become more prepared the longer you wait?

they take up defensive positions kill local forces and establish fortifications if you give them enough time. that way there would be logic in rushing a night assault in late game against sebellians (IE also Reapers)

Well, I got an idea it might not work but bare with me. The vanilla guns are effectively emergency guns that the unarmored (i.e. pilots and the like) enemies use. The armored ones will have the better alien guns because they're military, the guards some tweener loadout and the soldiers nasty war gear.

You mean about aliens? If so, yes you are right.. A warrior class ceasan will have much more powerfull weapon..

A little show of the new explosions in this mod..

explosives.jpg

Additinal chemical explosion class..

2 Tier more to Smoke-Stun-Flashbang class..

1 more Stun rocket..

2 Chemical and 1 EMP rocket..

1 Chemical and Stun heavy explosive (i realy couldnt find a heavy explosive image to fit this game at web..)

4 more enemy bomb.. including chemical..

different clouds... different gasses... totally unbalanced (lol, i will need many testers :P)

i am collecting everything and rewrite for last version of the game.. thx to kabill, his mods are very good examples to look for..

By the way, why are the pictures i loaded losing the quality so much..

explosives.jpg

explosives.thumb.jpg.cda2afbb80a1022a49d

Edited by drages

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally caught up in this project, and I must admit you have impressive scope. If each of the newer additions are balanced and have actual situational purpose, this may yet become the true spiritual successor of XNT. Racial resistances are very good idea... I know some argue they mean little without late-game radar, but I always thought of it as picking your "character", you commit to full path knowing that this will make you strong/vulnerable against ptaricular enemy. I hope these alien have enough diversity to give a true challenge as well, and have battle feel slightly distinct.

My advice is that avoid 5.31 XNT difficulty which mostly comes from enemy health... maybe it is because I am an Insane player, but way too many aliens which could survive full firepower from 8 soldiers back then, and thats with using all the tricks like double grenade etc. That feels like rather boring way to go about it and limit strategic options, I'd rather have difficulty come from "increased lethality" and interaction between somewhat specialized aliens. Of course, they shouldn't be walkovers like XNT 6.0 early game aliens naturally, everything in moderation :D Racial resistances should definitely help here regardless.

I look forward finally having to try like 10 times to beat the game!

Edited by ventuswings

Thanks ventuswings..

With my new ideas, there will be many things to change the balance.. So i experienced what u try to say about 5.3 and 6 diffuculty.. I am against fast killing enemies.. But not immortal enemies too.. soo as u guessed the resistances are the key.. If u got the right weapon, you will handle the situvation.. I didnt put aliens for now so without them you dont need much grenade spam..

By the way i put the grenade mod.. now u can spam another grenades :P.. i try to create a tactical game rather then big fireworks.. Enemy will shoot you if you are open... So i made updated grenades, smoke and suppression grenades now will be usefull even at end game.. maybe more at end game..

I will make shields and vehicles more usefull as tanking units.. becouse u need to survive and take the enemies attentaion elsewhere.. there are so many things to do.. but i wont stop..

Here is some examples from the new shields..

assaultshield-2.jpg

combatshield-2.jpg

assaultshield-2.jpg

combatshield-2.jpg

assaultshield-2.jpg.7de7914c7626d1cc7ae5

combatshield-2.jpg.db16f67ddcf387ea7c286

sounds good, my advice will be to split the whole scope into manageable chunks with intermediate deliveries. It's an obvious advice, but just in case...

yes for that reason i am consantrating mostly one project.. otherwise there is no way.. thank God, we got kabill and others to handle some parts i never can go inside.. i will take all the crew and ufo spam from them.. i will just make some planes but its at the end.. now i need to finish the GC materials and start to balancing.. nearly all GC art and coding finished.. just need to put them an order :)

Edited by drages

Response to 0.3 update:

Yes, the AI is very willing to lob grenades against shield wielder regardless of whether one is alone or clumped. I have mixed feelings in regards to rechargeable shield (bad flashbacks of Xenophobia with all their rechargeable shields and medpacks :P), my gut instinct is that you are given fixed amount of utility to work with for reason, which is why they removed multiple shields. I have sneaking suspicion that in case where alien with full TU faces shield-bearer head on, AI will prefer to make frontal burst shots instead of trying to find an exposed spot in hopes of outright destroying the shield... so in order for rechargeable shield to be balanced, it'll need to have some drawbacks other than weight.

However if aliens have tools that counter shield commonly distributed among them, such as grenades and specialized weapon - light vortex etc. - my concern may be invalid. And while I'm sitting here theorizing due to not having enough time to play at the moment, I'm pretty sure other experienced players will try out the build themselves and give much more useful feedback with their first hand experiences!

Edited by ventuswings

I didn't understand what u mean with special weapon against shield wearer.

U mm. . I gave every enemy at least 1 grenade.. lol ... i really didn't expect a move from aliens..

With rechargeable shield aka forcefield I am thinking a low limit protection. I mean let's say 200. If the wearer hit for 200 at a turn shield get destroyed without chance to recharge.

I looked to xenofobia last version of great. It's really uncontrolled mess.. I just looked for some ideas and maybe some sprites or weapon arts in it.. but medieval shields? Come on.. the writer of thqt mod should start from the beginning like me rather then try to put everything in it..

Anyway.. there is much to add.. now androns look very powerful at beginning so I will go for emp weapon rockets and explosives.. and Armor Penetration weapons will be next.. there are so many enemies with resistances.. so low dmg but resist ignore weapons are good idea I think..

:eek::eek::eek:

After we discussed about c4's usabilities, i tried some balancing.. i wanted to make them take biggier at backpack but when you make this, as expected, game scales the explosive 2x size.. so this makes the quality worse... as a solution, i wanted to put them in a bag.. a screen flashed at my mind from the Matrix elevator bombing..

I will put all the explosive in different size bags.. this one is the biggest singularity high explosive.. this ca probably can erase a big ufoo or a town from the map.. its like "oww what i have done!!!" moment :P...

After some long work..

-New heavy explosives are ready with their own explosion-groundimage-gui image... they are hard to throw as they get powerfull.. they are heavy and takes more place at backpack.. but they ignore nearly most resistances so a pure huge damage to enemies you cant take down with other ways..

-All other grenades are balanced and made their radius 2 to 3.. so you will feel the damage differences between their charges and grenades.. Hvy explosives will have 4 to 5 radius.. for now..

-All the ufo and alien base doors and base energy core hit points(which one u need to destroy to erase the base without killing everything) will be very very high, nearly bullet proof.. so if you want them destroyed, u need that explosives.. i am planning to make ufo and base command room doors locked... mostly no alien goes out from there so it looks logical to make them locked to us..

-Chemical and EMP rockets added as basic and advanced one.. they got both their explosive effects and EMP weapon creates static fields now.. :o.O

-Power baton added for ppl who like to hit aliens head...

-Advanced EMP grenade added.. maybe i add an extreme version too..

-The Jackal Armor from XNT added as Fox Armor with explosive resistance to save shield users..

Some spoilers:

aleriumcharge-bag.jpg

singularitycharge-bag.jpg

chargess.jpg

powerbaton.jpg

aleriumcharge-bag.jpg

singularitycharge-bag.jpg

chargess.jpg

powerbaton.jpg

aleriumcharge-bag.jpg.67d26c5b3c8b14e130

singularitycharge-bag.jpg.023136884749ff

chargess.jpg.d32f16cef912b8e86b38488c6b0

powerbaton.jpg.19e59d1d84f8d5593db1e360d

UFO main door won't be locked.. Just it will be reinforced.. they will be very tough to destroy.. Only the command room will be locked.. and its maybe..

Go to the Config.xml file of X:CE and you'll find Reaction Fire for Doors.

It's a great way to force deaths upon the player when attempting to enter the Scout UFO. ^_^

Go to the Config.xml file of X:CE and you'll find Reaction Fire for Doors.

It's a great way to force deaths upon the player when attempting to enter the Scout UFO. ^_^

I didnt understand that command so much.. what is that numbers? Global reaction modifiers additions?

For that reason you should blow the door.. a singularity heavy explosive can erase a medium ufo from the earth.. :)

Sure I can give this a try too, by improved buildings in last thread we spoke I meant they had different tiers for each building...

Living Quarters holds 10 people

Improved Living quarters 100 people

Same goes with laboratories and workshops, I hate having to waste that much space just for 10 guys, maybe 100 is overkill but... 25?.

Sure I can give this a try too, by improved buildings in last thread we spoke I meant they had different tiers for each building...

Living Quarters holds 10 people

Improved Living quarters 100 people

Same goes with laboratories and workshops, I hate having to waste that much space just for 10 guys, maybe 100 is overkill but... 25?.

Its about balancing.. if you do everything in a single base, the other bases would be outposts for air force... xenofobia got tons of things which are basicly same.. so you need to research so many thing for what?

I will have many more research and manufactures for sure.. with time i am thinking to balance them.. first i thought to make research times faster.. but the capacity can be added as u said without overkill..