The difference between Steam Xenonauts, Community Edition and Experimental

alx

Hi guys, I have the default Steam game version. There is also a Community Edition version. There is also an Experimental branch.

I wonder what is the difference between all these games, how are they connected? It appears to me as they are independent branches but it's not clear when they had been forked and what was the list of changes since then for each of them.

What was the idea behind each branch? What are the plans for each branch?

Thank you.

P.S. Oh my, I see there are also mods (like XENOPHOBIA), so it's getting even more complicated here! Is there any central point for a newcomer, where all possible directions (editions and mods) are being introduced?

I also noticed that Steam doesn't have to be running in order to launch the game. Steam starts whenever I launch any of my other Steam games but not so with Xenonauts. It brings up the Xenonauts launcher but Steam is not necessary in the least.

With that said, I don't see how the Steam version can be any different seeing as how the Steam version isn't really even a Steam version - it's just a method of purchase, nothing more.