Request- Reward players for finishing quickly?

ShamefulAnon

Hi, I'd like a mod that incentivizes the player to use less turns in combat. Rewarding faster play with money makes combat more fun, cuts down on turn skip tedium, and gives players a tactical choice of risk/reward. Less Turns, Big Money, Big Prizes! The idea is similar to Meld, although Firaxis's implementation didn't manage to actually sway most gamers into playing faster.

I did a little experimentation on my own. I've got cheat engine running, and I'm giving myself extra money for completing a mission quickly. How much to actually reward is the hard part. The objective is ensure that the cash reward does not unbalance the game by making it any harder or easier. In theory, you reward the amount of money according to how much resources the player is likely to lose for every turn they play faster. To find the goldilocks reward, I did a few comparison runs with some speed runs and slow runs. The main difference is the amount of soldier casualties (so this doesn't and shouldn't account for destroyed player inventory). I did some math and ended up with this working, fuzzy estimate:

Find the sum of the ranks in your squad, if Private is a 1, Corporal is 2, and so on.

Total ranks * $300 = Cash bonus, per unspent turn!

(Map size modifier) - (number of turns you took to complete the mission) = Unspent Turns

A small map size modifier is 8, medium is 20, large is 35.

Unspent Turns * Cash Bonus = Big Money, Big Prizes. (applies only to missions where enemies are stationary)

My current formula is really fuzzy. It doesn't account for a lot of things, like ground vehicles, map difficulty, and so on. I still need to play more to test the number, and I guess the best way to do this is to play two separate runs, one with the "mod" and one without.

Edited by ShamefulAnon