Skitso's Sounds of Pain

Skitso

V1.1 modular (Last updated DDMMYY: 210415)

To be frank, sound effects for human injury and death in Xenonauts are rather crappy, low quality and sometimes just plain odd. This mod changes all human injury and death sounds to higher quality ones and also adds more variation.

Install from the launcher. (Thanks kabill for making this modular!)

Hope you enjoy. :)

Download here

Edited by Skitso

Can't tell you how long I've wanted a mod for this. Installed!

Also, I'm going to covert this to make it modular for my own use. Do you want me to send you the relevant files when it's done (it would only involve some changes to sounds_gc and the inclusion of a modinfo.xml file).

Have had chance to play a number of missions with this mod now and it makes such a big difference. I've found off-screen NPC deaths the biggest improvement: there's a nice X-Com feel to hearing screams of anguish in the distance as civilians get liquidated by alien weapons fire.

• 4 weeks later...
Can't tell you how long I've wanted a mod for this. Installed!

Also, I'm going to covert this to make it modular for my own use. Do you want me to send you the relevant files when it's done (it would only involve some changes to sounds_gc and the inclusion of a modinfo.xml file).

thats slightly worrying :P

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
It only said that the file is not a mod file here.

There are 3 files inside the zip: audio, sounds_gc.xml, and modinfo.xml

I even re-downloaded the mod files but still the same.

I am experiencing the same thing, says it is not a mod file.

I've had a look at this troublesome file. The modinfo.xml file from the link in the zip is blank. There is nothing in it. Zero kb. Nothing. Nada. Because it is blank, the launcher rejects the mod. It needs to be filled in.

Skitso, could you please put the following into the modinfo.xml file and test it to make sure it works. Everyone else. If you extract the mod into an empty folder, cut and paste the below into the modinfo.xml file, then re-zip it up it should install correctly. Or you can just simply extract the zip to /assets/mods/, edit the modinfo file from there and the activate the mod from the launcher.

<ModInfo><Name>Skitso's Sounds of Pain</Name><Version>1.0</Version><Author>Skitso</Author><Description>The sounds of pain in vanilla are pretty crappy. Here's some much better ones!</Description></ModInfo>

Skitso, if you want to adjust what you want seen in the modinfo file, you can copy this blank template into the modinfo file and fill the gaps with the appropriate information:

<ModInfo><Name></Name><Version></Version><Author></Author><Description></Description></ModInfo>