[V1.09 - Geoscape] Medals don't reward Bravery consistently

I've noticed that the medals xenonauts are granted for certain things, don't always give Bravery. I've been suspicious of this for a while, but haven't had proof. However, when the latest Terror Mission popped up, I had two soldiers in the line-up that did not have the Citation for Courage (Terror Mission reward) yet Lt. Lev Falin and Lt. Lukas Becker, so I noted down their Bravery prior to the mission to be 63 and 67 respectively. After the mission I then checked their Bravery once more, and noticed that only one of the two had been awarded a Bravery bonus, however, both had been awarded the Citation for Courage medal appropriately. After the mission was completed, no Bravery stats were awarded as no one had panicked, so there weren't other Bravery bonuses in play either. I also loaded a save from within the Terror Mission to double-check their Bravery, and it was still 63 and 67 respectively.

If need be I can provide screenshots of the soldier stats prior to the mission (with no medal in the slot) and after the mission (with a medal in the slot). Or I can upload a save-game as well.

I suspect it is not only the Courage one, but I'm in no way sure. It wasn't the Courage one that got me suspicious in the first place at least. I think it was either the Base Defense or Base Assault medals lead me onto it.

I also noticed something weird, the medals awarded for number of missions completed, goes from +1Brav after 10 missions, to +3 Bravery after 20 missions, and then still +3Bravery after 30 missions. I found that odd, but I didn't check how much Bravery was actually awarded.

Ok something is definitely not working right. I've been noting the bravery for all of my troops pre-mission, at the debriefing screen, and when they return to base. Just completed a GC where one of my soldiers got both the Military Cross and the Order of Gallantry, but only received +1 bravery. And another soldier won the Order of Merit, which is supposed to confer +2, but only got +1.

I'm using the latest version of CE. Only mods installed are Khall's Portraits and Kabill's Dynamic UFOs.

Slandebande, I think you should post a bug report about this

Poor Bravery, doomed never to see meaningful increases.

Well, experienced players can just give high-level armor a bravery boost (+5 or something) as a workaround, or increase their soldier's starting stat, but bravery not levelling up properly will cause newer players even greater frustration than they already have with psionics. Somebody from GH should address this

• 3 weeks later...

confirmed. In my case, no medals EVER awarded any bravery points. Are people who are watching this absolutely sure they ever got any points from medals?

I don't see how it could be inconsistent, given how simple the coding is. I suspect they simply removed all bravery bumps to make the game a bit scarier, or, maybe, they only give you bumps if your bravery is below a set level. I notice my guys that started out with 85 bravery have only gained a single point after more than 10 missions and 3 medals. Whereas, the guys that started below 60 got a bump of +4 after the first two missions.

hell, I don't seem to get bravery bumps even from getting psychically attacked while on missions.

basically, I get a bravery bump for the first couple of missions for each new guy, usually +2. after that... nada.

best I have ever gotten as a bump is +4, total, and that was after just 2 missions.

*shrug*

edit: I see what's happening. you only get a bravery bump from combat if you survived actually being in the panicked state, not from just being attacked mentally. That's something that should change; you should get a bump every time you are attacked mentally. that would pretty much fix the whole bravery too low issue.

Edited by Ichthyic

...fwiw, I tend to bump the bravery scores manually from a starting value of 35-65 to 45-75. that usually gives me some decent recruits with values in the 70s.

if you aren't getting what you want in recruits at the start, start over! easy enough to check recruits first thing. likewise, you can "reroll" if you save just before the end of the month, and check the new recruit pool fist day of the new month.

yes, savescumming for recruits. hell, I remember doing that even with the very fist xcom!

Medal's bravery bonus was broken. If you had order of Terra (Awarded for elimination of twenty extraterrestrial units in combat, +3 brv) and also the service medal (Awarded for active participation in ten combat missions, +1 brv), you only got +1 of the second medal instead of +4.

Fixed in both X:CE and official version, thanks for your reports!

Medal's bravery bonus was broken. If you had order of Terra (Awarded for elimination of twenty extraterrestrial units in combat, +3 brv) and also the service medal (Awarded for active participation in ten combat missions, +1 brv), you only got +1 of the second medal instead of +4.

Fixed in both X:CE and official version, thanks for your reports!

no, fail. it is NOT fixed in 1.09, which is still the only official version for sale.

medals are actually awarding exactly ZERO bravery points. let me repeat that, ok? MEDALS ARE NOT AWARDING ANY BRAVERY POINTS AT ALL. NONE ZERO, ZIP, NADA.

clear?

it's NOT FIXED.

you want savegames to see for yourself? I'm not running any mods, using the GoG version I bought last week.

the ONLY bravery points I see, are the two that seem to be automatic on first promotion (or first mission, hard to tell), and any that are awarded for getting panicked during a mission.

that's.

it.

no, fail. it is NOT fixed in 1.09, which is still the only official version for sale.

medals are actually awarding exactly ZERO bravery points. let me repeat that, ok? MEDALS ARE NOT AWARDING ANY BRAVERY POINTS AT ALL. NONE ZERO, ZIP, NADA.

clear?

it's NOT FIXED.

you want savegames to see for yourself? I'm not running any mods, using the GoG version I bought last week.

the ONLY bravery points I see, are the two that seem to be automatic on first promotion (or first mission, hard to tell), and any that are awarded for getting panicked during a mission.

that's.

it.

Dude please, calm down. It may be just an opinion, but it's not the worst thing in the world if your soldiers don't get bravery bonuses right now. So no need to shout (caps lock) and insult myself.

Anyway, when I say "it's fixed" I mean that I took care of your bug report, I found the problem and I fixed it in our codebase. These changes do not become a public build until Chris explicitly releases a new version.

I'm sorry I did take this for granted, but you really should not yell at me if the problem doesn't immediately disappear.

sorry, but you really should use a different word than "fixed" then. why not use "reported"? that would have alleviated a lot of anger and confusion, frankly.

also, the problem for 1.09 users is that there really isn't any good way to raise bravery, and it gets tiresome watching half your team get wiped from mind control or berserks when taking on elite caesans.

highest I've been able to get is 89, after 60+ missions, starting with 80 bravery, and doing everything possible to encourage panic situations, etc along the way. it was a lot of work. too much, really. for your average new player, who doesn't realize bravery doesn't really go up, and hires units based on good average stats... can't imagine how frustrating it must be for them.

Edited by Ichthyic

sorry, but you really should use a different word than "fixed" then. why not use "reported"? that would have alleviated a lot of anger and confusion, frankly.

Because Giovanni didn't report the problem. He's the programmer who went into the code and fixed the issue...the fact that I've not yet pushed the fix out to the public domain doesn't mean it's not been fixed. It'll arrive in the next Experimental update.

Perhaps he should have been clearer and said "fixed in the codebase" but even if he had failed to fix the issue there's no need to blow up at members of the development team. The only reason we bother to communicate and listen to the community as much as we do is because the environment is generally polite and civil here, so it'd be a shame if things changed.

You're right about the issues with mind control and berserking. They are tweaked in the Experimental builds so they are less unfair, as both of them have bugs / minor issues that mean they are more powerful than they should be in V1.09.