Friendly fire

Hello

I new here, and started to play xnt, and with into darkness mod which i find really nice.

One thing i find very annoying. Friendly fire,

i dont know if its in the core programming or in the mod? but how do i change values if possible with friendly fire. if i have say 76percent chance of hitting enemy. I bet you that my guy hits my own soldier. Even sometimes when fire arc is beyond 30 degrees fire arc.

Its hard enough the game with this mod as it is. just rediculous having your own troop shooting one and other time and again! It aint farmer out there with shotguns fighting aliens, its supposed to be humanitys elite guard.

Just don't put your guys in the place you will shoot own guys. Don't know if you can mod it out, but I can answer it's part of the balance and core-mechanics of the game, even without mods.

Personally shooting thru own guys sounds more ridiculous to me than "non-elite" soldiers.

IIRC, you can change the chance of missed shot hitting a unit that it scatters through, but this would apply to all units (i.e. remove alien friendly fire, and mean that you could never hit an alien other than the one you intended to hit) so isn't really a good solution.

The most logical choice, though I don't know if it's possible, would be reducing the hit % if there's a chance of hitting a friendly unit, to compensate for the attempt to avoid hitting a squadmate.

So instead of having the same shot, with the ally just counting as an obstacle, you get an even worse shot, but with a minimal chance of friendly fire.

if i have say 76percent chance of hitting enemy. I bet you that my guy hits my own soldier. Even sometimes when fire arc is beyond 30 degrees fire arc.

Accepted. What's the wager?

its supposed to be humanitys elite guard.

Even elite guard can make a poor shot in the heat of the battle.

IIRC, you can change the chance of missed shot hitting a unit that it scatters through, but this would apply to all units (i.e. remove alien friendly fire, and mean that you could never hit an alien other than the one you intended to hit) so isn't really a good solution.

It wouldn't really change the outcome that much anyway. A scattered shot picks a random tile to hit and it may be a friendly's tile.

It wouldn't really change the outcome that much anyway. A scattered shot picks a random tile to hit and it may be a friendly's tile.

Surely turning off the chance of a scattered shot hitting another unit would solve the problem entirely?

That said, what I had in mind was the NoTargetPenalty variable in config.xml which might actually only apply to when you're not deliberately targeting a unit rather than what happens if the shot is off target.

Presumably the other thing that could be done would be to reduce the stopping chance of units to 0. But that would mean they wouldn't count as cover against other targets, too.