Is it possible to add flat TU costs to %TU actions?

Gurbo

If you're only interested in the modding question itself, jump to the 5th paragraph.

I have a really simple mod in mind to add a new set of weapons.

It would just add an upgraded set of ballistic weapons, with barrels and other exposed parts reinforced or made entirely out of alien alloys, bullets with alien alloy tips and using an alenium based explosive instead of gunpowder (to explain the necessity for reinforced mechanisms). With high penetrating power, I want the final damage to sit around plasma level, maybe just a bit lower, so I also want to add an alternative ammo type to give it enough versatility to make it a good tactical choice to have one or two of these even when you have MAG weapons available.

As it would be a mid game tech that has to hold out its ground until the very end, and the techs that would logically develop into it are realtively early ones, I have to find a way to balance it to keep it from being overpowered when you get them.

My intended solution was to make it a weapon oriented to elite forces, and the easiest way I found to do it was to optimize them for a 100 TUs unit.

I want to know if there's any known way to set, for example, a pistol, to have a 30% + 10 TUs firing cost for a normal shot instead of 40%. That's the easiest way I found to make them hard for privates to pick up while a higly trained soldier would just use it as a regular ballistic weapon. An alternative would be to make it a full flat cost if mixing is impossible.

P.S.: I'm fully aware of the complications of adding a regular weapon with multiple sets of ammo, but I have a few ideas that could get me around that problem.

Oh! Great, thank you!

Now I just have to think how to rebalance the guns... That will be tough. I thought I would at least be able to independently set flat costs for some weapons while others remained as a %. Are there any gun mods you know that have already tried to change it to flat and managed some sort of balance?

Wow... that's interesting. I was thinking of a much more linear rebalance, but he gave different attributes to each class.

I was starting to think of something on the general lines of calculating the time where each tech should be available and balancing the usefulness from the damage and armor penetration with the armor of the aliens that should appear in that timeframe to compensate for the amount of times they could be used (It's useless to be able to unload a full mag from a ballistic pistol in a single round if the andron warrior you're shooting at bounces them all off).

Giving them different advantages that lose usefulness over time is a really good idea. I'll have to think a bit more about it.