Dealing with Squadwipes and Endgame (ironman/ Insane)

grossbeer

Hi fellow xcom/xenonauts lovers.

First: AWESOME game love it. The best Xcomremake yet.

I love the challange, on insane ironman its tough! I had to try several times to get to the end game.

The Srategy i use is the following:

Geoscape:

- HQ in Middle east, early expand to Central America (day one).

- building med bay, living quarters and foxtrots

- 2.Month expand radar array for HQ and second research lab

- 3. Month 3. base in indochina

researching focus:

foxtrot, stun weapons, Alenium explosives, laser weaponry, wolf armor

then asap Plasma. air superiority (plasma explosives Coirsair, marauder)

Next: assaultshield upgrade and better armor

With this setup i was able to thwart every terror or base mission. I hunted down loads of ufos made tons of missions and ended up with Battleships appearing whil i had not a single country lost.

Feeling pretty good about myself i struggeld with the battle ships as i only had 3-4 Marauders which where busy shooting down the carriers. As a result i ended up with a Terror Mission. Having Commanders and Colonels i felt i could take em on, knowing that terror missions are extremely tough.

I did get squadwiped pretty fast. Mincontrol ftl :-D. as a result i lost the Soviet Union which was a tough setback but i felt i could handle it.

Being quite avaricious i had no backup advanced weaponry, and was forced to do only scouts for the next month. i had some Cols and LTs back at base to fill the ranks so i thought as soon as my Plasma Weaponry was back i could take on a battleship. If i ever shoot one down.

Now its that time where nearly only battleships appear and doing very few Missions i was pretty broke. So i could only afford to build 1 more Marauder. I still havent lost but it pretty much feels that way. Some High ranks and a Bunch of noobs take on a Battleship? i dont think so.

my main problem is my late-game i think. Doing okay (not great but okay) on Geoscape i think i need some advice for my tactical combat.

My Squad usually consists of (all plasma weaponry of course adn Wolf/Buzzard Armor):

2 Assault with shotguns

3 Snipers

3 Heavy Weapons with plasma casters

2 Shield guys with grenades and Stun batons

Now i felt in Midgame this was a perfect team, but im not so sure now in lategame.

I struggle with mind control and generally PSI. Even tho i only recuit soldiers with at least 55 Bravery

Elite Sebs are extremely tough, so that i feel plasma weaponry doesent do it anymore.

I do okay wiht Androns tho, they seem to be very slow so i can usually get to 100% cover each turn.

I heard Snipers arent that important in late game but i fail to understand why. Being out of sight and shooting stuff with high acc seems like something very important.

Do you guys have some Hints for me for Lategame (maybe another Squad Setup?)? Or how do you deal with squadwipes? They arent really game breaking but extremely tough to recover from. and 100 Battleships flying around you cant exactly spent month rebuilding weaponry. You need air superiority!

hope you guys have some tips to improve my game

Yeah, the endgame is very tough. Mind Control is somewhat overpowered and we'll be tweaking how it works in the next update.

You really need to get your hands on Predator armour though, and probably also MAG weapons if you can. Predator armour is a major step up from Wolf though as it allows you to fire machineguns on the move, so it can kill even tough enemies quite easily.

My endgame setup is something like 2 snipers, 1 rocket, 3 shotguns, and MGs for everyone else. Predator armor on the gunners, sentinel for everyone else. I also avoid cesean missions to not have to deal with psionics which is IMO far more dangerous than anything the other two races has.