New Tileset Art discussion

LordJulian

Ok, here's an update to what I have done currently.

Asiantestset1.jpg

I've sort of just compiled all these quickly just to showcase, I'm not familiar how to organize a custom tileset or touched the level editor(or intending to, bleh), so in the future I would need some help in organising the tileset, or better so, get someone to do it for me.

Basically this is what I have done so far, the roof isn't included as I need to figure out how to make it compatible with the vanilla roofs. If anyone is interested to try to integrate them in-game or wants to make edits for different varieties, go ahead.

So far, it's a flustercluck due to the lack of organised research needed for it, so I've been fumbling around various objects rather than focusing on a more coherent direction, it's more like a filler of different tiles at the moment.Still, i'm both having fun and fustration at making these tiles though, fun as popping them in 2D style is kinda nice and rewarding, and fustrating as to wonder if that amount of effort done is worth the 2D result. If I ever fantasize the idea to create or work on a isometric game, I should launch myself into a pot of boiling lava.

As for the roof arch, I believe that it's still possible to have a 2x1 object on the 2nd storey?

I sort of got the research from this 3D model, although I dont quite got the result from it due to Xenonaut 2.5D constraints and a lack of proper Oriental Asian textures:

l58874-chinese-house-67434.jpg

@UfoTubby

I think you could help me from here, adding different recolours or making destroyed versions of the tiles if it's possible.

Asiantestset1.zip

Asiantestset1.jpg

Asiantestset1.zip

Asiantestset1.jpg.0ee090ea0b4e63464cbd68

Asiantestset1.zip

Edited by LordJulian

A temple from Hong Kong? Would this be useful?

Here's a slideshow What Hong Kong looked like 150 years ago. Of the photos, photo 5 is probably the only useful one.

Here's a nice webpage on traditional chinese housing.

EDIT: Rural housing. You have the Fujian Tulou. an internal picture.. Dunno how you'd represent a curve like that - probably impossible.

EDIT 2: And would this really big collection of pics be any use?

EDIT 3: There seems to be a preoccupation with courtyards. If you own a house, you're not really a houseowner unless you've got walls and a central courtyard. The more courtyards, the better.

Edited by Max_Caine

Thanks for the help Max, some of these collections would certainly assist me in planning suitable tiles for the layouts that you have provided. Although the AngKor Wat is actually a South East Asian architecture in Cambodia, it would be rather imcompatible with the general Asian look that I'm achieving.

Again, I've been on vacation for sometime so progress of the tileset and my mods have been halted temporary, I'll try to throw out an update ASAP.

EDIT: Those layouts you have given will certainly be useful for mappers.

And is it possible to have more than 1x1 tiles for roofs like 2x1 or 3x2? I don't think I saw custom made roofs in Xenonauts, and Asian roofs are mostly curved inward.

Edited by LordJulian

I believe that most of my directions towards Asian Tilesets would be mostly traditional architecture, since Asian towns and cities tend to modernize with western architecture alongside their tradtional counterparts. And the focus is to create a tileset that would make the maps more noticably different than other tilesets.

So for research it would be better for say, Traditional Asian Temples and Gardens, rural traditional houses and shophouses, which I believe that those are the buildings that would help achieving the identity of an Asian tileset. I believe you could also look for pics that have the combination of modern buildings alongside traditional ones for Asian cities. That would help mappers in the future should I be able to make a basic release of the tileset.

Right. Having checked the submaps more carefully, the construction of roofs is interesting. Tiled roofs are composed of three different tile types all of which fit into one level. So tile props are always 1x1 but they're stretched vertically to give the impression that the roof is 1x3, as the verticle part of a level is higher than its wide. So you can have roofs which curve inwards using the same trick, so long as the house is wide enough to accomodate the number of roof tiles involved.

This is the point of time whether you ponder that the irony of being a game modder when you're addicted to playing games that you forgot to work on your other projects. If there is one good thing about Xenonauts is that it will allow you to periodically play for awhile due to it's repetitiveness. Roguelike games are seriously cheap..........

Anyway, I don't come here for random rants, I come here to bring news of a small update.... any criticism of the roof tiles will be appreciated.

untitled4.jpg

If you notice the black spot at the bottom of the side, don't worry about it, it's something I can fix it in a jiffy.

Basically, the roofs are divided to 1x1 tiles, and It's mostly 1 storey, so for mappers, they will be able to design rooms from 2, 4 and 6 tiles wide.

Thanks to Max's research I now have a proper idea on making the tiles for a sample map.

3zgdsihy.jpg

I was planning on an Asian temple map but I figured that would take quite abit of time. Perhaps this diagram plus a few rural houses littered around with some modern cars and roads would do as a small map.

untitled4.jpg

3zgdsihy.jpg

untitled4.jpg.9916561354f134825f6eaf593b

3zgdsihy.jpg.499d6aed613ab58274b0a35610d

Edited by LordJulian

untitled8.jpg

My god, the roof is one of the most frustrating things that I'm working on, as clearly you can see that the individual 1x1 roofs have shadow issues (due to my mass rendering). But I'm able to split up the roofs to 1x1 just like the vanilla roofs shown in the pic. Luckily from all this work I do notice that there has to be destructible environments in Xenonauts so a 3x1 roof seems pointless to add in.

Now I'm just going to make a VERY basic asian mansion housing pack that come along with basic furniture, pillars, fences, doors, walls, etc. Anyone cares to volunteer to make a tileset out of my creations?

P.S I think the grey is sort of dull, but that's what most chinese houses I've reearched looked like, maybe a whiter option would be preferable?

untitled8.jpg

untitled8.jpg.5b7a1789a5f408139cf9f3e9b0

Looks great!

Tiles look good, just need to clean up the shadow issues as you said. The grey does look a bit dull, but it would be very easy to recolour them to brown, red etc. to have variation. Should be possible to create a decent set of houses with them.

What are your thoughts about the rest of the tileset, e.g. ground tiles, vegetation etc. Personally I would just take ground tiles from other tilesets and edit them (maybe farm). Some bamboo tiles and rice fields would be nice though

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5713[/ATTACH]

My god, the roof is one of the most frustrating things that I'm working on, as clearly you can see that the individual 1x1 roofs have shadow issues (due to my mass rendering). But I'm able to split up the roofs to 1x1 just like the vanilla roofs shown in the pic. Luckily from all this work I do notice that there has to be destructible environments in Xenonauts so a 3x1 roof seems pointless to add in.

Now I'm just going to make a VERY basic asian mansion housing pack that come along with basic furniture, pillars, fences, doors, walls, etc. Anyone cares to volunteer to make a tileset out of my creations?

P.S I think the grey is sort of dull, but that's what most chinese houses I've reearched looked like, maybe a whiter option would be preferable?

Looking good. I can imagine that this is a real heap of work and quite a beast to deal with at some points.

I'm a bit slow with damaged versions, but as a first step I add cracks to all the walls. Here's a comparison to vanilla (took the cracks from there, then modified manually):

aY0m5IK.png

Probably I need to work out that "bump" effect a 'lil more

• 2 months later...

Considering that I'm Out of Action for about 2 months, and with alot of other priorities to rummage through, I'd say that Xenonauts has been a rather low for me due to the frustrations of very unfriendly coding, lack of fellow compatible modders and the rather small forum community.

As much as I have almost no motivation to continue on my game mods, I still hold interest in making an Asian tileset. What I need is perhaps someone to work with that can code all these things for Illunak's XCE V0.31 compatible support for adding new tilesets. If enough people still show interest in this tileset update and someone can volunteer to help then maybe I can make a comeback at this.

If not, well, there is always Chris's Next game.