[X:CE 0.28] Graviton Beam Emitter (Blame! inspired weapon)

Reactorcore

GBE_Mod_Steam_Image.png

[ATTACH]6334[/ATTACH]

Alt download:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=86099939003891684350

About:

Adds the Graviton Beam Emitter, a BLAME! inspired weapon for soldier use.

Changes the gameplay into a more fast-paced, reckless and overkill experience overall. You get the weapon after researching Alien Plasma Rifle, which is very early on.

The weapon is lightweight, features two firing modes, 1000 ammo, extreme damage, 1,5 tile area of effect per shot, low TU per shot, very high accuracy and comes in unlimited amount for all soldiers to use. Turn entire levels into burned wastelands, demolish houses and murder multiple aliens in a single turn. Use manual fire to destroy walls to walk through them.

BONUS: For added exciting challenge, try to beat the game with a limited 1-4 hero squad using GBEs.

GBEIn_Action_P1.jpg

GBEIn_Action_P2.jpg

Installation:

For Xenonauts 1.5 or 1.09 X:CE 0.32

Automatic:

1. Make sure you have Community Edition 0.32 or higher installed (LINK)

2. Open the game launcher and click on the "Modding Tools" button

3. Press the "Add Mod"

4. Find the downloaded mod and press Open

5. Done!

Manual:

1. Make sure you have Community Edition 0.32 or higher installed (LINK)

2. Go to the Assets/Mods folder in the game directory

3. Create a folder called "Graviton Beam Emitter"

4. Unzip the contents of the downloaded package into this folder

5. Open the game launcher and click on the "Modding Tools" button

6. Select the mod in the list and activate it using the "Activate" button

7. Done!

The mod was built using the modular mod system for X:CE 0.32 and it works well with other mods, such as XNT 6.0 or X-Division.

Please make sure to load the GBE mod last in order or the sounds wont work.

Read the manga:

It is inspired by the Blame! manga, by Tsutomu Nihei, which you can read here:

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/blame/c001/2.html

blamev2_059.jpg

[ATTACH]6334[/ATTACH]

Alt download:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=86099939003891684350

Enjoy!

:^)

GBE_r5_XenonautsMod_CE32_final.zip

GBE_r5_XenonautsMod_CE32_final.zip

Edited by Reactorcore
Mod version update R5

So far so good. The mod works well as a standalone. I'm trying it now with XNT and it still works, but the sounds stopped working for it. Probably mod load order issue, but not sure how that works or how to shift order.

More interestingly, the weapon is a little bit too overkill.

This is what happened when I equipped all my soldiers with this weapon:

Screenshot_2014_09_20_02_13_33.png

No salvage. Completing this light scout in GC got me 0$ of profit, while even airstriking would get you 10.000$.

In other words, relying too much on the weapon will actually screw you over in the long run.

I'm still trying to tweak the burst fire to pierce through more targets, but thats a bit difficult since the weapon needs to look like it fires a quick beam, meanwhile spewing projectiles too fast make them hit the same target because the obstacle didn't manage to break yet.

Too bad the xenonauts engine doesn't seem to have a bullet type that can continue to travel after hitting something. : /

There is a specific tag you will find useful, which I notice you have in the weapons_gc descriptor but have not switched on. It had been dropped from the main game but remains in the code. The isHypervelocity tag will make the projectile of a weapon do damage to any intervening terrain. If the weapon does sufficient damage to destroy the terrain, the projectile will continue to move in its alloted fire path, less the damage it had caused to destroy the blocking terrain. To see that in action, set the tag you have in the weapon descriptor from 0 to 1.

There is a specific tag you will find useful, which I notice you have in the weapons_gc descriptor but have not switched on. It had been dropped from the main game but remains in the code. The isHypervelocity tag will make the projectile of a weapon do damage to any intervening terrain. If the weapon does sufficient damage to destroy the terrain, the projectile will continue to move in its alloted fire path, less the damage it had caused to destroy the blocking terrain. To see that in action, set the tag you have in the weapon descriptor from 0 to 1.

So thats what it does, that is so useful! Thanks :D

I had the tag copied by accident from the weapon I copied the original template gun, but always thought it was a non-functioning feature that had the tag left over, which wouldn't actually do anything.

Man I gotta test this out now.

I forgot to say - the reason that it was dropped that it made the displayed percent to-hit unreliable, as the aiming code could never properly figure out what to do with hypervelocity-tagged weapons. Also remember isHypervelocity is always defined in the ammo definition of a weapon in weapon_gc (and it's in the right place, so you shouldn't have a problem).

Another useful thing to know, if you want to more closely mimic the BLAME! weapon the isHeavy tag when active applies a 50% malus to the to-hit roll if the weapon operator moved before firing the weapon. Having looked through the manga, I've never seen whathisname move when he fires it - in fact, he always depicted as taking his time when aiming . Seeing as it seems to take time to aim, an isHeavy tag may be appropriate.

EDIT: There's a fair bit of legacy code and code snippets that never really went anywhere but wasn't removed from vanilla. So long as Solver and llunak don't decide to clean up those snippets, you can fiddle about with quite a few things from weapons_gc.

Edited by Max_Caine

If you put such a srtong weapon so early in the game, it seems right to have it reduce your income if you overuse it.

It's a really interesting idea, but I'd have it as a new research after the antigravity generator, it just makes a little more sense to learn how to manipulate graviton beams while researching antigravity.

Ah bummer, the IsHyperVelocity doesn't work at all. I tried making the shots go slow, fast, change the bullet type to 'normal' and then back to 'rocket', but to no avail. Seems that feature was never fully completed in the engine.

However, if you can't go forward, then go sideways!

Screenshot 2014-09-21 22.24.59.jpg

Screenshot 2014-09-21 22.jpg

I made the burst fire into a carpet bombing shotgun with 1% accuracy.

Update - Revision 4 - Change Log

-Now shows up as a MAG rifle when dropped on the ground

-New projectile graphic. Very pretty. Much eye candy. Wow.

-Weapon now is restructured: Single fire is an accurate shot, while burst fire is like a carpet-bombing shotgun attack

-Being close to a GBE blast will now scare the living crap out of the unit and make them lose all their morale

-Improved reaction modifier for better overwatch shots

-Now verified to work with XNT:Into Darkness

-Mod folder renamed to xxGBE to be loaded after XNT to ensure sounds will work

-Cleaned up unnecesary old projectile stuff

DOWNLOAD:

[ATTACH]5569[/ATTACH]

Screenshot 2014-09-21 22.24.59.jpg

Screenshot 2014-09-21 22.jpg

xxGBE_XenonautsMod_R4.zip

577e7d26807aa_Screenshot2014-09-2122.24.

577e7d268517c_Screenshot2014-09-2122.jpg

xxGBE_XenonautsMod_R4.zip

I forgot to mention:

You can update the mod even if you have a game already running, it will work perfectly fine with an old save file.

By the way, I'm amazed how actually balanced this weapon is. While it gives you the power to destroy anything in a single blast, it also cancels out any benefits you'd be getting otherwise, be it new research items or salvage. Ultimately, using this weapon is recommended as a last resort on targets that either too dangerous to take down otherwise, blow up walls to make shortcuts or collapse entire buildings to kill aliens inside them (It doesn't actually gib them, surprisingly).

I'm playing a playthrough with XNT and by me using the weapon too much, I had seriously caused a hit on my profits that I cannot afford a third base, just due to all that vaporized salvage. If I had played without using the GBE, I'd be able to afford it by now, along with armor for all my soldiers.

Edited by Reactorcore

OK, got a problem with the new CE release 30...it does not recognize this mod as a mod and therefore does not install it. Means I cannot use the GBE as it does not exist in the game...cannot make it with the mechanics and the game crashes when I try to look at my men to load them on a chopper...since my sniper is outfitted with this weapon in my saved games. Not sure it's possible to just add the thing to a game by moving files without ruining something else. These weapons need fewer shots per battery...1000 is a bit too much. Reduced to 50 per reload would still work well.

OK some more info...repacked the file without the xxGBE folder in the zip and CE30HF1 installed it...at least it said it installed. However in my saved games it is not available to make and when I go into units that have it outfitted the game CTD.

Edited by Larry Burstyn
deleted off topic stuff. and added somemore info I discovered.

• 1 month later...

Well, I found an interesting consistant crash with this weapon. Look at this save attached (X:CE .30 HF1 with this mod, Dart Gun, and Skitso's Alternate insignia and Megamix map pack) and shoot directly at the car in front of the dropship. The game crashes immediately and sounds like the policeman died, but if you hit near the car instead of right on it (even if that makes the car explode), the game runs fine.

[ATTACH]5874[/ATTACH]

gbe test.sav

gbe test.sav

Big thanks to llunak, Mikhail Ragulin, Slayerjerman and the XNT team for their tutorials or examples.

Without your works, this mod would not have been possible. Thank you.

Thank you! I had test the weapon and special sfx.

i love it! The important thing about this weapon is that is very flavored and abusing this weapon reduce the amount of savage.

Awesome job!!! :D

Well, I found an interesting consistant crash with this weapon. Look at this save attached (X:CE .30 HF1 with this mod, Dart Gun, and Skitso's Alternate insignia and Megamix map pack) and shoot directly at the car in front of the dropship. The game crashes immediately and sounds like the policeman died, but if you hit near the car instead of right on it (even if that makes the car explode), the game runs fine.

[ATTACH]5874[/ATTACH]

Thanks, although I believe its a problem with the engine, and a very particular scenario where a 2-3 tiles worth of breakable scenery + a human at a certain angle at certain conditions is going to cause this rare crash.

Since I've gotten used for the game to crash every now and then, with or without my mod, so whenever this happens, I just reload the save and try something that doesn't cause the crash this time. Sorry to say. : /

@TacticalDragon:

Thank you! I feel happy to hear you're enjoying it. :)

Thanks, although I believe its a problem with the engine, and a very particular scenario where a 2-3 tiles worth of breakable scenery + a human at a certain angle at certain conditions is going to cause this rare crash.

Since I've gotten used for the game to crash every now and then, with or without my mod, so whenever this happens, I just reload the save and try something that doesn't cause the crash this time. Sorry to say. : /

Yeah, I can see that. it didn't stop me from continuing, just had me be a bit more careful where I'm exploding ;D

• 6 months later...

Update - Revision 5 - Change Log

====================

-Fixed to load with the new Mod Loading system introduced in X:CE 0.30+

-Tweaked descriptions to be less corny

-Boosted power to allow two burst fires in one turn, guaranteed

-Improved graphics to Xenopedia and ammo unit images

See the updated first post for download and further info