Dart Gun - Ranged Stun weapon

endersblade

Without further ado, here's a mod I have been painstakingly trying to get to work for ages now, and have finally managed thanks to the wonders of Ilunak and Kabill!

dartgun.jpg

It's a pistol type weapon, has the same range as a pistol, slightly higher accuracy, and does purely stun damage. It has the same stun damage as a stun rod, and is unlocked with the research of Stun Weapons. The gun and the ammo are both unlimited, and are found under the Ballistics tab.

The image is a modified version of the Battlefield Tracer Dart Gun. All credits for the image go to those guys, all I did was put a silly clip on the top of it with my leet GIMP skillz.

It functions on the Modular mod system, so SHOULD, in theory, be compatible with anything else. I believe you need X:CE v0.28+ to make it work. I've tested this extensively, and all signs point to it working. So if it doesn't, please, let me know!

Install:

Just open the zip, and plop the file in Assets/Mods in your Xeno install directory. I think you can use the Mod installer on the Xeno launcher, but I've not tried it that way, so I don't know.

V1.2: Corrected the issue where sometimes the bullet would hit, but no damage would be done. No need to start a new game, should work on current saves.

V1.1:

Finally uploaded the correct files! Please redownload, I'm really sorry I uploaded the wrong ones! Please don't hurt me >.>

Dart Gun v1.2.zip

dartgun.jpg

Dart Gun v1.2.zip

dartgun.jpg.4f92b424e972ad824df6e60ceaa0

Dart Gun v1.2.zip

Edited by endersblade

Like I said, it works for me. If it's crashing for you, I'd need more details. I also saw your thread about the weapon you were making, and since my mod was based on xce, I didn't have the same problem you did.

I can't tell you the amount of frustration I went through getting this thing to work. If it doesn't for others, I'm going to shoot myself lol. (Ok, not really.)

I'll try installing the game on my laptop or something and seeing if the mod still works. I have done a fresh install of xeno and xce because I just modified the crap out of all the files. I finally learned what I needs to modularize things, so everything is in its own mod. That doesn't mean I didn't accidentally leave something crucial that is allowing the mod to work in my game.

It seems 7 people have downloaded it as of this post. If other people have issues with it and post here, I'll have more info to hopefully fix it.

I figured out by accident that adding those magical MODMERGE="insert" and MODMERGEATTRIBUTE="name" thingies fixed the problem of crashing on soldier equip screen.

I've released my mod in the completed mods section, you can take a look inside and compare what may be missing from your files. Maybe it could help.

Edited by Reactorcore

I like the idea and the look of the dart gun, but I find myself wondering if this is OP or not. I was under the impression the game only gave you stun grenades and the stun baton in order to make taking an alien alive more risky.

I also had that thought initially, but really it is quite balanced after all. Compared to the stun baton and the stun gas grenade, the baton provides much greater chance to hit and do so multiple times, only at the cost of going up close, meanwhile the gas grenade can be thrown over walls and covers a large area, at the cost of having a limited supply of them.

The dart gun, while provides range, it also suffers from having to deal with accuracy when firing it as all other firearms do. It also takes up plenty inventory space and weights equal to a gas grenade + stun baton combo.

You could also make the stun dart do only 2/3 of a damage of a stun baton swing, which would have you trade firepower for safety in range.

The original game had a stun 'gun' that could stun many aliens at once as it was AoE, and you say mine is OP? Hehe.

The gun weighs as much as a pistol since that is the template I copied. Reactor, I'll check your mod when I get home tonight. Unless I uploaded the wrong files, I use gratuitous amounts of modmerge and mod merge attribute. Could be I used them in the wrong places, but I'll check.

The stun baton requires you getting into melee range. I think that is just slightly ridiculous, and using the grenades goes back to the original 'carpet bombing' technique. Considering tranq tech has been around for, well, centuries at least, I find it odd that the game intentionally gimps us on that. This game cuts a lot of corners in an attempt to purposefully make the game harder, when it really doesn't need to be. Like reactor said, the dart gun gives you range but still requires you actually hit the guy. It also more than likely requires multiple hits as well.

The overall issue though is that stun tech is mostly useless. You need one of each race minus the robotic units, an officer, leader and praetor, and that's it. There aren't navigators, technicians and commanders to capture anymore. In the original game, I had one guy dedicated to stun weapons on each mission. In xeno, I carry one or two stun 'nades and a dart gun in one assault's backpack. I feel like it removed a fun dynamic from the game.

The original game had a stun 'gun' that could stun many aliens at once as it was AoE, and you say mine is OP? Hehe.

Reactor, I'll check your mod when I get home tonight. Unless I uploaded the wrong files, I use gratuitous amounts of modmerge and mod merge attribute.

Yeah, you totally did upload the wrong files. The one I downloaded a few days ago had no trace of MODMERGE anywhere in the xml files.

Ok, I see what happened. I had two Dart Gun.zip files in the file loader (really annoying you can't remove them >.>) and accidentally uploaded the wrong one. I made a fresh new one, I zipped up a copy of the mod I'm currently running, renamed the zip, and uploaded it, so I KNOW I got the right one this time! SO sorry about that!

Also, the current version has the Xenopedia pic with it because I was trying to make it a separate research. I couldn't get it to work, removed all the subsequent edits and files, but forgot the Xenopedia pic. You can either leave it in, delete it, or hell, try to get it working for all I care. Just letting you guys know that it's an extra, currently unused pic that isn't harming anything by being there.

Edited by endersblade

Um, I just downloaded it on my computer as well as my phone, it works for me...?

The file downloads for me as attachment.php not as dartgun.zip. Just renamed it to dartgun.zip...then the CE30HF1 did not recognize it as a mod...repacked it without the dartgun folder in the zip and it successfully installed it...however still do not have the ability to outfit my men with the dart gun as it is not available...cannot remember if some research is needed (have to check). It was not available in my save game which is way past the stun baton and stun grenade.

I simply cannot get this thing to work with the CE30HF1. It shows as installed with the above changes to the zip file but it does not work.

Edited by Larry Burstyn

The file downloads for me as attachment.php not as dartgun.zip. Just renamed it to dartgun.zip...then the CE30HF1 did not recognize it as a mod...repacked it without the dartgun folder in the zip and it successfully installed it...however still do not have the ability to outfit my men with the dart gun as it is not available...cannot remember if some research is needed (have to check). It was not available in my save game which is way past the stun baton and stun grenade.

I simply cannot get this thing to work with the CE30HF1. It shows as installed with the above changes to the zip file but it does not work.

The 'attachment.zip' thing isn't anything of my doing, I don't know what to tell you. I'm currently using the most up to date CE with it, and it works fine.

Also, yeah, it requires the Stun Weapons tech to unlock it. I honestly don't know what to say >.>

The 'attachment.zip' thing isn't anything of my doing, I don't know what to tell you. I'm currently using the most up to date CE with it, and it works fine.

Also, yeah, it requires the Stun Weapons tech to unlock it. I honestly don't know what to say >.>

Perhaps there is a conflict with another mod the only mods I have installed are xxGBE and XNT (Into the Dark version 6.?). How do you control which mod loads first? Or does it matter? xxGBE also works after I removed the folder and repacked it in zip. But I needed to reinstall the entire game and apply the mods in a specific order. Otherwise the game CTD a lot. If it loaded at all. I have research well past the stun weapons tech and it still is not available. It does show as installed.

If a new item of research is dependant on another item of research and if the non-dependant item has already been researched by the time the new, dependant item is added as a mod, the new item wil never be researched. Technology is always unlocked at the moment an item is researched. That's why I tend to make my mods either semi or wholly independant from the "main sequence" tech tree (my most recent mod comes in two flavours specificaly because of this).

If a new item of research is dependant on another item of research and if the non-dependant item has already been researched by the time the new, dependant item is added as a mod, the new item wil never be researched. Technology is always unlocked at the moment an item is researched. That's why I tend to make my mods either semi or wholly independant from the "main sequence" tech tree (my most recent mod comes in two flavours specificaly because of this).

As a point I reinstalled the game INCLUDING this mod and when I researched Stun Weapons I got the other stuff but not the dart gun.

Well, you could try removing the research part and see if it shows up. Just go into items.XML, there are two lines, one each for the weapon and ammo, that says 'unlimitedonresearch'. Change it to unlimited. The gun should immediately appear under the ballistics tab.

If that works, then the research part is conflicting with something, meaning I didn't do it right. Sigh. I used to have it as its own research project, but I couldn't get the xenopedia entry to work for some reason, so I scrapped that and just added it to stun weapons. But making it default at the start of the game makes researching stun weapons kinda pointless.

I'm only running xce and a couple of graphics mods, so that might explain why I don't have any issues. I made it modular following Ilunak's instructions, it should be compatible with anything.

And again, if anyone else would report problems with this, maybe I could get more useful info. It's had a few downloads, but nobody says anything about it.

Edited by endersblade

Well, you could try removing the research part and see if it shows up. Just go into items.XML, there are two lines, one each for the weapon and ammo, that says 'unlimitedonresearch'. Change it to unlimited. The gun should immediately appear under the ballistics tab.

If that works, then the research part is conflicting with something, meaning I didn't do it right. Sigh. I used to have it as its own research project, but I couldn't get the xenopedia entry to work for some reason, so I scrapped that and just added it to stun weapons. But making it default at the start of the game makes researching stun weapons kinda pointless.

When were stun guns invented? It seems we have had them for years but I don't remember when they were invented. Anything invented before 1980 should not require research. The US military had many things not known by the general public in the mid to late 1970's. When did knowledge of the stealth planes become public? We had 3 squadrons for years before their existence became public knowledge early in the Reagan presidency. When the government wants to keep a secret it can...even if sometimes that means laws are broken. When the government wants the people or an enemy to know something but does not want to publicly admit it, it simply LEAKS the stuff to reporters or known enemy agents.

The BEST reputation a spy agency can have is one of incompetence.

That aside your suggestion worked..the dart gun became immediately available after I changed items.xml to read unlimited.

When were stun guns invented? It seems we have had them for years but I don't remember when they were invented. Anything invented before 1980 should not require research. The US military had many things not known by the general public in the mid to late 1970's. When did knowledge of the stealth planes become public? We had 3 squadrons for years before their existence became public knowledge early in the Reagan presidency. When the government wants to keep a secret it can...even if sometimes that means laws are broken. When the government wants the people or an enemy to know something but does not want to publicly admit it, it simply LEAKS the stuff to reporters or known enemy agents.

The BEST reputation a spy agency can have is one of incompetence.

That aside your suggestion worked..the dart gun became immediately available after I changed items.xml to read unlimited.

Maybe the funding nation that has the tech still doesn't trust the Xenonauts enough, or maybe, like the stun weapons research, they ignored if they could work on aliens or not.

Like I said, I don't agree with the need to research stun tech anyway - I would bet money that sort of thing was already around back then. And dart guns, or even older blow guns, have been around for quite a while. Obviously the graphic I used is a rather modern look, but it was the best and easiest to use that I could find. I would much prefer to disable the stun tech research and allow the grenades, baton, rocket and gun to be available from the start, but I get the feeling that would put off a lot of people from using it.

I've also been working on a version like the thermal shok launcher from tftd - a gun that basically shoots a stun grenade lol. I've been too busy replaying through ff13 on PC to really get around to it though.

I'm thinking about a few mods I want to make (still studying a bit to avoid screwing everything up) and one of my ideas was a grenade launcher, but I guess it could very easily become overpowered.

A rocket laucher/shotgun hybrid weapon that uses the grenades as ammo could be fun to use.

Stun gas can be different.. it can be special for aliens. But baton could be ok from the start..

I think stun is not so usefull at this game.. u don't need much alive alien.. I am working on a mod about this.. maybe like eueu2012 u will need alive aliens to produce something..

stun and emp weapons should be in game.. same as incinerate and chemical ones.. game has 4 main 2 side damage type but % 80 of the game is about only ballistic and energy.. it's a shame.. nearly every mod worked on more powerful ballistic weapons..

För example androns are robot but we shoot them to death with bullets.. think about terminator. . At least higher rank androns should be bulletproof.. and then emp guns should talk there..

As they are the endgame guns, I think MAGs should be using alien alloy or alien alloy jacketed (or it's magnetic gun equivalent) ammunition, so that's why androns aren't immune. If you try to shoot them with regular ballistics, it's pretty much the same as being immune anyway.

But I totally agree on finding a good use for the extra captured aliens... IDK, at least sell them to a circus or zoo xD

I like to stomp my way trough the game via stun gas and ES grenades, so in a full playtrough I might capture around 50+ aliens... getting some extra benefit from it would be nice. It shouldn't be too great or it would favor too much a specific strategy, but having something to show for it would be nice.